Need help analyzing a photo...how can I show it?

Old December 27th 05, 08:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Need help analyzing a photo...how can I show it?

I don't have a website and I don't have a photo uploadable site yet
either. Can I attach a photo here or is it not allowed?

I just got the Canon SD550 and want someone to look at a shot to see
if I'm doing something wrong. It's a 1.0 Meg file that is out of focus
on a wide angle shot from only 2 feet away.

Thanks
Old December 27th 05, 10:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

baker1 wrote
out of focus
on a wide angle shot from only 2 feet away.

Thanks

What's the minimum focus distance on the camera? RTFM and you may find the
answers you seek.

RobG
"Just take the damn photo"
Old December 27th 05, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"RobG" wrote in message
50...
baker1 wrote
out of focus
on a wide angle shot from only 2 feet away.

Thanks

What's the minimum focus distance on the camera? RTFM and you may find the
answers you seek.

Don't be unkind. You're obviously unfamiliar with problem-solving protocols
regarding digital photography: First, you take a picture, then when the
result is less than satifactory you

1) take several identical pictures, hoping for a different result each time
2) ask a friend who knows nothing of cameras or photography for help
3) curse the camera manufacturer
4) post to usenet, asking for help
5) pray to God
6) post to usenet, begging for help
7) curse God
8) post to usenet, complaining about the lack of response
9) Proclaim the "whole digital camera thing" is a consumer rip-off and fraud
10) take the camera back to the store, where they refuse to accept it in its
current condition
11) put the camera in a drawer for two weeks and fume
12) read the f*cking manual, then successfully take a photo

As you can readily see, the guy is just starting out on the problem-solving
path, so cut him some slack.

Old December 27th 05, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

baker1 wrote:
I don't have a website and I don't have a photo uploadable site yet
either.

Canon supplied me with 100mb of free photo-gallery web-space with my new
A620. Is this offer restricted to only certain countries, or with only
particular Canon cameras?
Old December 28th 05, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Paul H." wrote
12) read the f*cking manual, then successfully take a photo

As you can readily see, the guy is just starting out on the
problem-solving path, so cut him some slack.

In the interests of cutting some slack, here's another try...

Do you know what the minimum focus distance of your camera is? If the
pictures are blurred, you may be too close to the subject and will need to
move back a wee bit. Or maybe a whole bit - I dunno. Have a look in the
manual that was supplied with your camera and see if it has any information
regarding close-up photography. At the very least, there should be a table
somewhere there listing the various performance data for your camera - have a
look for it, then see if you were too close to the subject.If it does have a
section on close-up photography, follow it, step-by-step, to the letter and
see if that will fix the 'problem'. If not, come back here and give us some
more info about your camera - what make and model is always useful.

I was going to post a harsh response, then I re-read Paul's post. LOL, very
well done. But my comment still stands (except maybe it should just be RTM,
seeing as he's a noob). If we can short-circuit the whole process, then maybe
he'll be able to take some decent pix a bit more quickly. (c:

I hope this helps.

RobG
Old December 28th 05, 06:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article ,
baker1 wrote:

I don't have a website and I don't have a photo uploadable site yet
either. Can I attach a photo here or is it not allowed?

I just got the Canon SD550 and want someone to look at a shot to see
if I'm doing something wrong. It's a 1.0 Meg file that is out of focus
on a wide angle shot from only 2 feet away.

Google "free photo upload." Dozens of sites.
Old December 28th 05, 07:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 28 Dec 2005 11:11:12 +1050, RobG wrote:

Do you know what the minimum focus distance of your camera is? If the
pictures are blurred, you may be too close to the subject and will need to
move back a wee bit. Or maybe a whole bit - I dunno. Have a look in the
manual that was supplied with your camera and see if it has any information
regarding close-up photography.

Another possibility. Some cameras have two focusing zones, and
won't focus adequately in the closer zone unless a "macro" button is
pressed. For instance, a camera that has a focusing range of 1 foot
to infinity may need to be in the camera's "macro" mode for the AF
to work properly at distances closer than 4 feet. I don't know if
this is a "feature" of the SD550, but the FM should be read
thoroughly, as the SD550 may have some other focusing quirk. There
may also be no problem at all, if much of the picture appears to be
out of focus only because of a shallow depth of field at close
shooting distances.

Old December 28th 05, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

[...]

Well, thanks for not being harsh. I checked the manual and it seems I
was exactly the 1.6ft distance, so it was slightly out of focus. I did
the same shot but changed to Macro and it is better, however the depth
of field is not so great. Subjects only 5 inches closer to the camera
are out of focus. Calling Canon now...again.
Old December 29th 05, 12:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"baker1" wrote in message

Well, thanks for not being harsh. I checked the manual and it seems I
was exactly the 1.6ft distance, so it was slightly out of focus. I did
the same shot but changed to Macro and it is better, however the depth
of field is not so great. Subjects only 5 inches closer to the camera
are out of focus. Calling Canon now...again.

Macros have shadower depth of field than normal shots.
To increase depth of field, use smaller aperture, which requires more
lights.

Old December 29th 05, 06:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Paul H. wrote:

: 4) post to usenet, asking for help
: 6) post to usenet, begging for help
: 8) post to usenet, complaining about the lack of response

All within 15 min at about 2am. Its amazing how many people assume that
usenet is like IM and so expect an immediate answer, even durring times of
day when the majority of the "in the know regulars" may be asleep or out
working to make the income to pay for their internet account.

Randy

Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL