Great Photography Sites in the Southwest

Old April 4th 04, 06:08 PM
Angela M. Cable

Default Great Photography Sites in the Southwest

Fred A. Miller wrote:
Angela M. Cable wrote:

[snip]

redneck with nothing better to do poached the male for his antlers. They
found him dead with his antlers hacked off left alongside the river.
Sick SOB. Never did catch the *******. The cow and calf disappeared
after that and never came back.

I'm a hunter, and MOST hunters would first, NO shoot him, and second, wouldn't
just take the rack and leave the meat. Moose meat is some of the finest
quality lean meat one can eat, and there's LOTS of it! But, my point is that
the vast majority of hunters DON'T break the law.

I didn't mean to imply that they did. Many folks found the fact that the
carcass was left to rot most appalling. Most folks around here would
also agree that trophy hunting is sickening. You've got to wonder about
the mental stability of somebody that blasts away at an animal of any
kind for no real reason. I found the fact that this creep fired a high
powered weapon within city limits, along the river where people's kids
often play, not more than a few hundred yards from people's homes to
also be a cause for concern.

--
Angela M. Cable
Neocognition, digital scrapbooking source:

PSP Tutorial Links:
http://www.psplinks.com/

5th Street Studio, free graphics, websets and mo
http://www.fortunecity.com/westwood/alaia/354/

Old April 5th 04, 12:43 AM
CHIP5FALL

I'm in Rock Springs, and
have seen them in this area.

Ever photograph wild life on K Street? How about the Crystal Pistol--is that
place still going and full of animals?

Carl May
Old April 5th 04, 09:09 PM
Angela M. Cable

CHIP5FALL wrote:

I'm in Rock Springs, and
have seen them in this area.

Ever photograph wild life on K Street? How about the Crystal Pistol--is that
place still going and full of animals?

Carl May

Uh, no, you're talking 20-30 years ago? Ed Cantrell days? That kind of
boom is long gone. I doubt that 60 Minutes would find much to report on
here now :-) The Crystal Pistol has changed hands at least three times
since then. It was pretty good when it first became Dickie's
Club...Dickie brought in blues bands every weekend. It went downhill
after he sold it. It's now called the Pilot Bar and pretty much sucks
even as Rock Springs bars go. The Kasbah is now Bomber's Sports bar( big
screen, pool, darts), Haddock's is now the Saddlelite (Country Western),
Twilight is Killpepper's (used to be a good night club, bunch of college
kids now). The Astro is still there, probably has the same strippers as
20 years ago :-)

Old April 5th 04, 10:09 PM
CHIP5FALL

Ever photograph wild life on K Street? How about the Crystal Pistol--is
that
place still going and full of animals?

Uh, no, you're talking 20-30 years ago? Ed Cantrell days? That kind of
boom is long gone.

That's for the good, I suppose. I spent time there on a couple of occasions in
the time frame you mention, and between the mining and oil industry that was
being serviced out of there, it always seemed like it was supported by people
dedicated to making a quick buck by tearing up the countryside. The rough and
seamy side went with single men who found themselves with a pocketful of money
and nothing to do for a few days until they went back out to their jobs. I met
a woman at a publishing convention (I seem to recall she worked for Oxford
Univ. Press, but could be wrong) who had a relative murdered in the college
parking lot, so between my experiences and the general reputation of the place,
the CBS expose, complete with corrupt police chief (or was he the sheriff?)
came as no big news. Having also been around places like Klamath Falls decades
ago, I don't know if Rock Springs was the roughest town in the country, but it
had to be close.

Being stuck for days and a bit intimidated by the place, I spent a lot of time
in my room in an old hotel over a cafe and the Greyhound bus station. Wrestled
the tripod around and took some abstracts of the colorful mineral stains on the
high ceiling and walls of the bathroom, caused by pipes leaking through the
walls. I still come across those silly photos every so often during cleanups.

I may get back there yet. Rock Springs could be one possible jumping off place
for roaming the Red Desert, one of the lesser recognized wide open spaces left
in the U.S.

Carl May
Old April 6th 04, 01:06 AM
Angela M. Cable

CHIP5FALL wrote:

Ever photograph wild life on K Street? How about the Crystal Pistol--is

that

place still going and full of animals?

Uh, no, you're talking 20-30 years ago? Ed Cantrell days? That kind of
boom is long gone.

That's for the good, I suppose. I spent time there on a couple of occasions in
the time frame you mention, and between the mining and oil industry that was
being serviced out of there,

Mining and gas are still the major industries. If you've got a box of
Arm and Hammer baking soda in your cupboard, you've got a little piece
of Swee****er County. There's three or four trona mines out that way.
Schlumberger, Halliburton and BJ Services are all still doing business
here. I worked for SLB for eight years.

it always seemed like it was supported by people
dedicated to making a quick buck by tearing up the countryside. The rough and
seamy side went with single men who found themselves with a pocketful of money
and nothing to do for a few days until they went back out to their jobs. I met
a woman at a publishing convention (I seem to recall she worked for Oxford
Univ. Press, but could be wrong) who had a relative murdered in the college
parking lot,

Oh, yes, I remember that, wasn't she a Bunning? I remember the killer
claiming that he stabbed her "accidentally" as he was cleaning his nails
with a knife. As I recall, the jury didn't believe it either.

so between my experiences and the general reputation of the place,
the CBS expose, complete with corrupt police chief (or was he the sheriff?)

Cantrell? He was Rock Springs Town Marshall. Functionally, he was Chief
of Police, you just can't have that title bestowed upon you unless you
have a college degree for some statutory reason. The city council
brought him in to clean up the town. As you say, it was *really* bad. It
wasn't corruption though, he shot dead one of his own undercover agents,
Rosa was the last name, can't remember the first. Happened in the
parking lot of the Kasbah, I think. Rosa was in the back seat of the
car, Cantrell front passenger and I think it was Neil Kourbelas that was
driving. Neil's still around here, still works for the PD last I knew.
Cantrell claimed that Rosa attempted to draw down on him. Cantrell was
widely known as the quickest shot in the west. Shot Rosa dead right
there in the car. Gerry Spence defended him, Gerry had all ready gained
some fame with the Karen Silkwood case. The prosecution claimed that
Rosa was gathering information against Cantrell on corruption charges
and that Cantrell shot him to shut him up. Gerry basically won the case
by demonstrating in court with guns loaded with blanks that Cantrell was
able to "read" in a person's eyes when they were going to draw.

If you have cable TV, look for a show called City Confidential. They
have an episode on the case that they run every once in a while.

I may get back there yet. Rock Springs could be one possible jumping off place
for roaming the Red Desert, one of the lesser recognized wide open spaces left
in the U.S.

Largest herd of desert elk anywhere. Rock Springs is a pretty good
jumping off point, 3 hr drive to Grand Teton NP, 4 to Yellowstone NP, 2
hrs or so down to Vernal, UT and Dinosaur NM, 7 hrs to Moab, UT (Arches
and Canyonland NPs). The Flaming Gorge is here if you're into fishing,
record breaking fish come out of there every year. Seedskadee NWR an
hour north if you're into photographing birds. Killpecker Sand Dunes and
Boar's Tusk area about 45 min north with wild horses on the way.