No Scratch left on too long?

Old April 22nd 04, 01:55 AM
Rick Warburton

Default No Scratch left on too long?

I left some on a neg in the enlarger for more than 24 hours, then cleaned
the neg with film cleaner. I noticed some swirls on the film when tilted in
the light after cleaning. Is that a damage to the film?

TIA

Rick Warburton
northwest Indiana

Old April 22nd 04, 08:21 PM
Richard Knoppow

"Rick Warburton" wrote in
message
ink.net...
I left some on a neg in the enlarger for more than 24

hours, then cleaned
the neg with film cleaner. I noticed some swirls on the

film when tilted in
the light after cleaning. Is that a damage to the film?

TIA

Rick Warburton
northwest Indiana

I think NO Scratch is just an oil. You may not have
cleaned it all off. What did you use for cleaning? Kodak's
current recommendation is very pure (dry) Isopropyl alcohol.
I can get 99% Isopropyl at Long's drugs locally, probably
many other drugstores have it. Any moisture in the alcohol
will swell the emulsion or the backcoating causing marks.
You may have to wash the film briefly to get rid of the
marks by try cleaning it again with the alcohol. Note that
Isopropyl absorbs moisture very readily until it reaches
91%. A bottle of 99% alcohol that has been opened a few
times will have become 91% and will leave a residue of water
behind.

--
---
Richard Knoppow