Mamiya RB67 Left Hand Grip Problems/Questions

Old February 12th 04, 08:14 PM
Matt Clara

Default Mamiya RB67 Left Hand Grip Problems/Questions

Just received a left hand grip for my Mamiya RB67 Pro S. Can't figure out
how it's supposed to trip the mirror/shutter. For one thing, the trigger
won't budge more than half a millimeter, and for another, there's no obvious
way to couple the grip with camera's shutter release. The grip just screws
into the tripod mount.

Also, the hot shoe spins freely--is that normal? I find it hard to believe
it is.

Am I missing something obvious (or hidden), or is this simply a fault of the
grip itself?

Old February 14th 04, 02:57 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
"Matt Clara" wrote in message
Just received a left hand grip for my Mamiya RB67 Pro S. Can't figure

out
how it's supposed to trip the mirror/shutter. For one thing, the

trigger
won't budge more than half a millimeter, and for another, there's no

obvious
way to couple the grip with camera's shutter release. The grip just

screws
into the tripod mount.

Also, the hot shoe spins freely--is that normal? I find it hard to

believe
it is.

Am I missing something obvious (or hidden), or is this simply a fault of

the
grip itself?

Well don't everyone speak at once . . . !

The left-hand grip for the 645 ProTL requires a tiny, easily lost, frob to
connect the grip to the camera. The hot shoe doesn't spin, though.

My left-hand grip doesn't get used (other than extremely occassional flash
shots). I find that the grip puts the weight of the camera off to the right
at a monstrous leverage against my wimpy wrist. I just support the camera
with my left hand and twiddle controls (including focus) with my right.
Dunno if that would work with the RZ, though.

David J. Littleboy

Tokyo, Japan

Old February 14th 04, 05:32 AM
Matt Clara

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
"Matt Clara" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, David--was just kidding with my last post. I've got a service
request in to Mamiya USA.

--
www.mattclara.com

Old February 18th 04, 06:22 PM
R.W. Behan

Matt: Is your grip the variable-angle grip? (You can alter the angle of the
grip's handle from straight up (vertical) to slanted either toward the front
of the camera or the back.) If so, there is a small safety switch right
above the knuckle of your left thumb when you hold the grip. If the switch
is pressed downward, it locks the shutter-tripping linkage, and the trigger
will "budge" only a half millimeter or so, as you said. Push the switch up
to unlock. The linkage from the grip to the shutter release on the camera
should be obvious, and when you screw the grip into the tripod socket it
aligns with the shutter release on the lower left corner of the camera's
body (as you view the camera from the front.) The flash shoe on my grip is
NOT a hot shoe, but simply a mechanical connection to hold the flash to the
grip. It swivels only when the knurled lock/release knob is loosened--and
locks into place when the knob is tightened.

Hope all this helps. (There IS another, simpler grip for the RB67--one that
does not have the variable-angle feature--but I can't help you if that's
what you have.)

Cheers,

Dick Behan