20D - Program Mode Settings.

Old August 20th 05, 02:15 PM
Robbie

Default 20D - Program Mode Settings.

Hi All.
I hope this is not too basic of a question. I know I can change aperture
and shutter speed easy while in the "P" mode. My question relates to how
long those settings stay in effect, before the camera automatically selects
it for me. It seems like it is in effect for as long as the settings are
displayed on the LCD, about 2 or three secs of no activity (dial turning).
After that, pressing the shutter half way down the camera picks the
settings. Is there a way to make the override settings stay in effect for a
little bit longer? I may be overlooking some basic setting.

Thanks!

Old August 20th 05, 02:41 PM
dylan

"Robbie" wrote in message
Hi All.
I hope this is not too basic of a question. I know I can change aperture
and shutter speed easy while in the "P" mode. My question relates to how
long those settings stay in effect, before the camera automatically
selects
it for me. It seems like it is in effect for as long as the settings are
displayed on the LCD, about 2 or three secs of no activity (dial turning).
After that, pressing the shutter half way down the camera picks the
settings. Is there a way to make the override settings stay in effect for
little bit longer? I may be overlooking some basic setting.

Thanks!

Assuming it's the same as my 10D, you are doing a 'program shift' ie
increase in speed and decrease in aperture or visa versa.

This will not hold the values of speed and aperture if the lighting
conditions change, ie you move the camera, but the shift you applied will
hold until the display in the viewfinder timesout or you take a picture.

When you repress the shutter half way the shift will not present.

Hope this makes sense.

Read Shifting the program in the section on Program AE in the handbook.

Old August 20th 05, 02:45 PM
Alan Browne

Robbie wrote:
Hi All.
I hope this is not too basic of a question. I know I can change aperture
and shutter speed easy while in the "P" mode. My question relates to how
long those settings stay in effect, before the camera automatically selects
it for me. It seems like it is in effect for as long as the settings are
displayed on the LCD, about 2 or three secs of no activity (dial turning).
After that, pressing the shutter half way down the camera picks the
settings. Is there a way to make the override settings stay in effect for a
little bit longer? I may be overlooking some basic setting.

Why don't you just leave it in A (or S) mode and not worry about it?

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old August 20th 05, 02:49 PM
Robbie

Thanks for pointing that out. I did not realize that was "program shift". I
looked that up in the manual and found the explanation.

Thanks again!

Old August 20th 05, 02:52 PM
Robbie

Hi Alan.
I am not sure what you mean by "A" or "S" mode. I was just rying to
determine what the timing was, and a previous poster pointed out that I was
causing a "program shift".

Thanks!

Old August 20th 05, 03:21 PM
Alan Browne

Robbie wrote:

Hi Alan.
I am not sure what you mean by "A" or "S" mode. I was just rying to
determine what the timing was, and a previous poster pointed out that I was
causing a "program shift".

Whatever. I believe you would be better served using that camera in A
(Av) and S ("Tv" in Canonese) modes.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old August 20th 05, 08:34 PM
Charles Schuler

"Robbie" wrote in message
Hi All.
I hope this is not too basic of a question. I know I can change aperture
and shutter speed easy while in the "P" mode. My question relates to how
long those settings stay in effect, before the camera automatically
selects
it for me. It seems like it is in effect for as long as the settings are
displayed on the LCD, about 2 or three secs of no activity (dial turning).
After that, pressing the shutter half way down the camera picks the
settings. Is there a way to make the override settings stay in effect for
little bit longer? I may be overlooking some basic setting.

Thanks!

If the power switch is in the "past on" position, you can use the rear dial
to boost or drop the exposure when in P mode. The boost or drop does not
time out, by the way and is not cancelled by the shutter release. Set your
camera to the "on" position to disable this feature when using P mode, as
the rear dial can be changed inadvertently.

Old August 20th 05, 09:23 PM
Slack

Alan Browne wrote:

I believe you would be better served using that camera in A
(Av) and S ("Tv" in Canonese) modes.

Where the heck did Canon get the Tv from ?? I still get confused every
time I want to use Shutter pri.

--
Slack
Old August 20th 05, 09:27 PM
dylan

Where the heck did Canon get the Tv from ?? I still get confused every
time I want to use Shutter pri.

--
Slack

Time Value, to go with Aperture Value ?

Old August 20th 05, 09:37 PM
Slack

dylan wrote:

Where the heck did Canon get the Tv from ?? I still get confused every
time I want to use Shutter pri.

--
Slack

Time Value, to go with Aperture Value ?

Ahhh.... thank you very much. Now I can program my brain to remember it.
:-)
---
Slack