More on Contax - Digital Only

Old March 10th 05, 02:42 PM
Walt Hanks

Default More on Contax - Digital Only

The picture changed again today. Read this from Reuter's

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=7859674

Note that film camera production is not mentioned. I have still not seen an
official statement on that. Even this statement does not appear on their
website. No response from the US spokesman yet.

--
Walt Hanks

Old March 10th 05, 04:16 PM
Alan Browne

Walt Hanks wrote:

The picture changed again today. Read this from Reuter's

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=7859674

Note that film camera production is not mentioned. I have still not seen an
official statement on that. Even this statement does not appear on their
website. No response from the US spokesman yet.

It is still very muddled what their position is regarding continued
support for the Contax film line.

Old March 10th 05, 06:56 PM
Gordon Moat

Walt Hanks wrote:

The picture changed again today. Read this from Reuter's

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=7859674

Note that film camera production is not mentioned. I have still not seen an
official statement on that. Even this statement does not appear on their
website. No response from the US spokesman yet.

With Zeiss announcing development of camera phone lenses last year, and now
this information, maybe the next Contax will be a camera phone. Kyocera really
need to issue some statement . . . soon.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old March 10th 05, 10:47 PM
David J. Littleboy

"Alan Browne" wrote:
Walt Hanks wrote:

The picture changed again today. Read this from Reuter's

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=7859674

Note that film camera production is not mentioned. I have still not

seen an
official statement on that. Even this statement does not appear on

their
website. No response from the US spokesman yet.

It is still very muddled what their position is regarding continued
support for the Contax film line.

The Japanese site has announced the discontinuation of the 35mm SLR beast
and several lenses for it, but the G1, G2, and 645 have not been announced
as cancelled. At least as far as I could find. (That the G1's still there
surprised me, so maybe I missed something. But the whole site's there with
all the cameras and a page listing things discontinued this February and
things discontinued earlier.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old March 10th 05, 11:13 PM
Walt Hanks

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message
The Japanese site has announced the discontinuation of the 35mm SLR beast
and several lenses for it, but the G1, G2, and 645 have not been announced
as cancelled. At least as far as I could find. (That the G1's still there
surprised me, so maybe I missed something. But the whole site's there with
all the cameras and a page listing things discontinued this February and
things discontinued earlier.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

What is the URL for the Japanese site?

Walt

Old March 11th 05, 12:20 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Walt Hanks" wrote:
"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

The Japanese site has announced the discontinuation of the 35mm SLR

beast
and several lenses for it, but the G1, G2, and 645 have not been

announced
as cancelled. At least as far as I could find. (That the G1's still

there
surprised me, so maybe I missed something. But the whole site's there

with
all the cameras and a page listing things discontinued this February and
things discontinued earlier.)

What is the URL for the Japanese site?

It's hard to find, even if one reads Japaneseg.

http://www.kyocera.co.jp/prdct/optical/

Here's the list of discontinued products.
http://www.kyocera.co.jp/prdct/optic...nue050201.html

First chart (Feb. 1, 2005 announcement)
RTS-3 body
Contax T3D
4 lenses
4 filters

Second chart (previously announced cancellations)
Metal hood
Diopter
Metal cap
Lots of similar stuff
RX2 body
Aria body
Aria-D body
T3 black
TVS3
TVS3 black
5 lenses

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old March 11th 05, 12:25 AM
Sander Vesik

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Walt Hanks wrote:
The picture changed again today. Read this from Reuter's

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=7859674

Note that film camera production is not mentioned. I have still not seen an
official statement on that. Even this statement does not appear on their
website. No response from the US spokesman yet.

Bah! They should stop reporting on this until the board has exited the
boardroom and announced the final decision...

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old March 11th 05, 12:46 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Sander Vesik" wrote:
In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Walt Hanks wrote:
The picture changed again today. Read this from Reuter's

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=7859674

Note that film camera production is not mentioned. I have still not

seen an
official statement on that. Even this statement does not appear on

their
website. No response from the US spokesman yet.

Bah! They should stop reporting on this until the board has exited the
boardroom and announced the final decision...

Or they could stop being cheap schmucks and pay the rates required to hire
competent translators...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old March 11th 05, 11:14 PM
Walt Hanks

"Walt Hanks" wrote in message
news
The picture changed again today. Read this from Reuter's

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=7859674

Note that film camera production is not mentioned. I have still not seen
an official statement on that. Even this statement does not appear on
their website. No response from the US spokesman yet.

--
Walt Hanks

Just to add to the mess, I just received two emails from the US rep
indicating that they "still have not read anything official from Kyocera,
Japan" and that ToCad has a two year contract to distribute Contax products.
Sounds to me that they must either have a pretty good stock pile in those
warehouses (a very bad business practice) or Kyocera is keeping a portion of
the line - hopefully the medium format portion, IMO.

Now, will someone at Kyocera please step up to the plate and end all this
speculation!

Walt