Image Tank versus used Laptop

Old June 8th 04, 01:51 PM
Arthur Small

How do you measure transfer time between USB1 and USB2?

Old June 8th 04, 03:06 PM
jean

Hmmmm, very subjectively. It took over 20 minutes to transfer less than
2Gb. So that works out to USB 1.1 speed (12Mbits / sec). At USB2 speeds it
would have taken much less than a minute. It is a 40/1 speed improvement
from USB1.1 to USB2 so that is why I was wondering if my unit was OK.

Jean

For calculations I used:
2Gb file size
20 minutes (time taken)
400Mbits per second for USB2

Old June 8th 04, 04:37 PM
Arthur Small

Here are the results of my unscientific check between USB 1 & USB 2.

I had a file in the IT that was 234 Mb. Connected to USB 1 it took six
minutes fifty three seconds to copy.

Connected to USB 2 it took One minute and twenty six seconds.

I was never very good at math, so if you would like to figure out the
difference in speed, please be my guest.

Old June 9th 04, 01:33 PM
stewy

I got a Hama CDRW burner recently - this has media slots for digital cameras
and you can burn up to 700mb onto each CDR.
The imagetank is useful on holidays but will probably sit in a drawer unused
for the other 11 months of the year - a CD burner is always of use if your
built-in CD player goes bad, which has happened to both my ageing IBM
desktop and my WinME notebook PC.

"Bill Lillycrop" wrote in message
I am planning a holiday and will be gone for three weeks. The problem I
have is the memory card won't last that long (Canon Rebel with a 512 MB
card - can easily fill the card in one or two days). I am trying to
decide whether to purchase an Image Tank (or similar item); or for the
same amount of money if I should purchase a used Laptop with CD burner
and 10 GB hard drive.

I realise the Image Tank would be a lot smaller, lighter and easier to
carry, but the Laptop would allow me to process the images in the
evening and to get a view on how the camera is working. Also, I could
transfer the images directly to the Laptop via the USB.

1) Has anyone else considered the two options and if so I would greatly
appreciate any feedback.

2) Are there any other items similar to the Image Tank out there? I see
the Digital Wallet is no longer being made.

3) One of the advantages I liked with the Laptop, was that I could plug
my camera directly into the Laptop without having to remove the card. I
was concerned with this continuous removing the card from the camera
every day, if this was going to wear out or affect the connection
between the card and the camera. We had a card damaged a work when it
was removed from the camera.

Thank you.

Old June 12th 04, 03:56 PM

Here's a solution you ever try using a iPod from Apple? Very small and
light 10 Gig drive...Get an adapter from Belkin to transfer digital pic
to drive. U will be able to hold over 20,000 pics. Then transfer over to
your computer via firewire and iTunes software. Just a suggestion....

Nice eh?

Old June 13th 04, 07:28 AM

Try this Link
http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/We...More=T7418LL/A

Hope it helps...This will solve all your storage problems.. Case is
closed now on tis subject..

Your welcome...

Old June 13th 04, 01:28 PM
Michael Meissner

Bill Lillycrop writes:

I am planning a holiday and will be gone for three weeks. The problem I have
is the memory card won't last that long (Canon Rebel with a 512 MB card - can
easily fill the card in one or two days). I am trying to decide whether to
purchase an Image Tank (or similar item); or for the same amount of money if
I should purchase a used Laptop with CD burner and 10 GB hard drive.

I realise the Image Tank would be a lot smaller, lighter and easier to carry,
but the Laptop would allow me to process the images in the evening and to get
a view on how the camera is working. Also, I could transfer the images
directly to the Laptop via the USB.

When I travel, I carry both. The laptop only stays in my hotel room, and if
I'm not doing anything in the evening, I can start doing all of the normal
photo processing, etc. I carry my Vosonic x-drive II with me in my camera bag,
so that if I get snap happy, I can download the files immediately, and then
reuse the memory cards. However, I generally try to have enough cards that I
don't need to do it. If what I'm shooting is important, I will use the x-drive
to copy the files immedaitely, so I have more than one copy.

1) Has anyone else considered the two options and if so I would greatly
appreciate any feedback.

2) Are there any other items similar to the Image Tank out there? I see the
Digital Wallet is no longer being made.

There are about 20 different models with different price points and features.
The dpreview.com storage forum routinely disscusses these devices:

Another option is a portable CD burner, that has media slots, and writes the
media to a CD-R/CD-RW instead of a disk drive. It is bulkier than the portable
disk drive, but you can make multiple copies, and mail a copy home if you are
really worried about your pictures surviving. Some of them have batteries and
can display jpg pictures on a TV and also function as a portable DVD player.

3) One of the advantages I liked with the Laptop, was that I could plug my
camera directly into the Laptop without having to remove the card. I was
concerned with this continuous removing the card from the camera every day,
if this was going to wear out or affect the connection between the card and
the camera. We had a card damaged a work when it was removed from the camera.

I dunno, I guess it depends on the camera. Note this also limits the number of
photos you can take in one day.

I think I've taken more than 20,000 pictures with my Olympus C-2100UZ, and I
always take out the card, but then I carry multiple cards since I often times
shoot more than a cards worth during the day, so I have to change cards in any
case.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old June 14th 04, 11:56 AM
Phil

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 13:28:54 GMT, Bill Lillycrop
wrote:

I am planning a holiday and will be gone for three weeks. The problem I
have is the memory card won't last that long (Canon Rebel with a 512 MB
card - can easily fill the card in one or two days). I am trying to
decide whether to purchase an Image Tank (or similar item); or for the
same amount of money if I should purchase a used Laptop with CD burner
and 10 GB hard drive.

I chose a cheap old laptop as I like to view as well as store (The
image storage devices with additional viewing are expensive.) I can
also use Autoroute on it. Also, if I buy an external CD-R, burn CDs
too.

Phil

Old July 6th 04, 01:04 AM
Saku Elovaara

In rec.photo.marketplace.digital bill wrote:

Personally, I would prefer to carry a storage device than a laptop.
Mainly because my laptop is too big to lug around. Also, being
on holiday, I wouldn't want to spend my nights working on

You have point. Here is my plans or choices...

1) 5 PCS 1GB Sandisk UltraII from local store 245 eur each
Total 1225 eur

2) 1 PCS 1GB Sandisk UltraII from local store 245 eur AND
Apple iBook 12" (30GB/800MHz version) from local store 1000 eur
Total 1245 eur

Option 1 is ok for general use, but I think that option 2 is much
better. When traveling I can upload lastest pictures to my website
for storage/backup using wlan hotspot or public lan. Also I can
check emails and write down information about pictures.

I'm working with EOS 10D and I can shoot about 200 pictures for
one 1GB flash card. And I have also few 256MB cards for spare use.

But as you say, this is quite personal question, like Nikon vs Canon

BR
Saku

--
PHP/MYSQL webhosting http://www.gonamax.com/