I just got my first medium format camera!

Old July 1st 04, 01:22 AM
Andrew McCall

Default I just got my first medium format camera!

Hi Folks,

After 6 months working with 35mm, I have decided to explore the medium
format world, and tonight I bought my first medium format camera - a
Yashicamat 124-G from eBay! Its in great condition, and comes with an
close-up lens set (No 2) manufactured by Aico and a Yashicamat lens hood.

I know people would probably have recommended a Rolleiflex such as a T,
but to defend my choice, I didn't want to spend more than £100 and its
very difficult to get a Rolleiflex for this price thats in a condition
like the Yashicamat. If I really like medium format I will sell on the
Yashicamat and get something like a Mamiya 645, and I probably won't
loose much on the Yashicamat so long as I keep it in good condition.
All together, the Yashicamat fits my needs perfectly.

I do have a few questions though, and I was hoping for some help from
people in here.

What sort of cable release do I need to get? I already have one that
works with my Nikon FM2n, will this work with the Yash?

I normally shoot 35mm with Ilford HP5+, I presume the Ilford HP5+ 120 is
exactly the same as what I normally use? Does development time differ?

Can anyone tell me about the Aico close up lens that comes with the camera?

Are there any other "must have" items for this camera?

I have a JOBO LPL 7700 enlarger with a Schneider 2.8/50mm lens, do I
need to get a different lens if I intend to do my own printing?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Andrew McCall
--
Check out my blog - http://www.h2o.demon.co.uk/
Old July 1st 04, 01:55 AM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
Andrew McCall wrote:

I normally shoot 35mm with Ilford HP5+, I presume the Ilford HP5+ 120 is
exactly the same as what I normally use? Does development time differ?

I have a JOBO LPL 7700 enlarger with a Schneider 2.8/50mm lens, do I
need to get a different lens if I intend to do my own printing?

First off let me say congradulations on your step up. I went directly
from 35mm to 4x5 then came back to MF cameras as I needed them for
certain types of work I regularly do.

You should notice right away that you can make much nicer "larger" prints.

I'll answer those questions I know the answers to.

HP5 should be the same film. If its slightly different judging from my experience
you not see a drastic difference. That stated the developers times are listed on the packaging for
the film or Ilfords website should have downloadable PDF's IIRC.

The lens for a 645 is typically a 65mm or 75mm in that range, you can use an 80mm lens
and it will cover 6x6 cm square, I have an 80mm for 6x6cm and I also use my 150 when I
want the enlarger to be higher whenmaking a smaller print, "in the case where burning and dodging
needs to be accomplished" on a smaller print. The longer focal length will inhibit the
maximum size enlargement you can through on to the enlarger base board.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old July 1st 04, 02:38 AM
Nick Zentena

Andrew McCall wrote:

I have a JOBO LPL 7700 enlarger with a Schneider 2.8/50mm lens, do I
need to get a different lens if I intend to do my own printing?

Yes. Look for something in the 80mm range. You'll likely need a negative
carrier to.

Nick
Old July 1st 04, 03:31 AM
dadiOH

Andrew McCall wrote:
I do have a few questions though, and I was hoping for some help
from people in here.

What sort of cable release do I need to get? I already have one
that works with my Nikon FM2n, will this work with the Yash?

Will it screw in? If so, it will work
__________________

I normally shoot 35mm with Ilford HP5+, I presume the Ilford HP5+
120 is exactly the same as what I normally use? Does development
time differ?

I can't tell you about that specific film but 35mm frequently differs from
the same film in 120.
_____________________

Can anyone tell me about the Aico close up lens that comes with the
camera?

What about it? Are there two? One for taking lens, other for viewing?
Much handier that way. If there are two the viewing lens may or may not
correct for parallex. Easiest way to tell if you aren't sure is to take off
the camera back and put a piece of tissue paper on the focal plane. Open
shutter and compare that image to the one on the ground glass.
___________________

Are there any other "must have" items for this camera?

Ummm...neckstrap, lens hood. Polascreen is always nice.
_________________________

I have a JOBO LPL 7700 enlarger with a Schneider 2.8/50mm lens, do I
need to get a different lens if I intend to do my own printing?

Yes, 75-80mm.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Old July 1st 04, 03:53 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Andrew McCall" wrote:

After 6 months working with 35mm, I have decided to explore the medium
format world, and tonight I bought my first medium format camera - a
Yashicamat 124-G from eBay! Its in great condition, and comes with an
close-up lens set (No 2) manufactured by Aico and a Yashicamat lens hood.

Congrats! You'll have loads of fun.

I normally shoot 35mm with Ilford HP5+, I presume the Ilford HP5+ 120 is
exactly the same as what I normally use? Does development time differ?

In my opinion, the big difference between 35mm and MF is that it's actually
possible to make clean 8x10 and 11x14 prints from MF. Since just about
whatever film you use, B&W 8x10s are gritty with 35mm, using ISO 400 films
and putting up with the grit makes sense. Some people like the gritty look,
I think it's disgusting. Whatever you think of 35mm, MF is about smooth rich
tonality and incredible detail. It's a different world.

Since you don't have to put up with the grit with 6x6 (11x14 is a 6.5x
enlargement from 6x6 whereas 8x10 is a 9x enlargement from 35mm), it
inversely makes _more_ sense to use fine grained film to get the full
advantage of MF. So I'd recommend Plus-X in Microdol X. Try Microdol both
straight and diluted 1:3. Use the recommended times and temperatures. (This
is _ancient_ technology, and what I used way back in the 1960s.)

I'd recommend avoiding the TMAX films for now. I understand that they are
more critical of developing times and temperatures than the older films.
There's a new Chinese-made Verichrome Pan. Unfortunately, as I understand
it, it's a TMAX type film.

Buy a copy of Anchell and Troop "The Film Development Cookbook" if you want
to experiment.

Try to avoid kinking the film as you put it on the reel in the developing
tank. Kinks can create small crescent-moon shaped exposed areas on the film.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old July 1st 04, 01:43 PM
KFritch

Others have already answered most of your concerns. You asked about handy
accessories - here are a few I've found useful over the years.

Bay1 - 49mm adapter (you can also adapt to other sizes - i just happen to use
49mm). This allows you to use a wider range of readily available filters and
accessories for your camera that are a lot easier and generally less expensive
to find than Bay 1 accessories.

Good close up lenses. I like the Rollei closeup lenses (remember, you want the
complete set which has parallax correcting lens for your viewing lens.

A Minolta Autopole (or something similar). If you want to use a polarizer with
your TLR, this is the way to go. It has polarizers for both the viewing and
taking lenses so you can see the degerr of polarization and effect through your
viewfinder.

A decent hand held meter. The on board meter in your camera is of limited
value in critical metering situations. I still use my old LunaSix for which I
also have a spot metering attachment. It can do both reflective and incident
light readings. Much more flexible.

I suggest you stay away from tele and wide angle supplementary lenses as they
tend to degrade the quality of the image somewhat. Of course, it is fun to
play around with these sometimes, I tricked out an ancient Rollei with a pair
of tamron 4x telephoto extenders to create a 300mm Rolleiflex and the results
were sort of fun.
Old July 1st 04, 03:33 PM
RolandRB

Andrew McCall wrote in message ...
[...]

If it can screw in then it will work.

I normally shoot 35mm with Ilford HP5+, I presume the Ilford HP5+ 120 is
exactly the same as what I normally use? Does development time differ?

Can anyone tell me about the Aico close up lens that comes with the camera?

You normally need two lenses -- the smaller lens goes on the bottom
taking lens and the larger angled lens goes on the viewing lens and
should "look downwards" a bit. This is to correct for the parallax.

Are there any other "must have" items for this camera?

The lens is prone to flare, or so I have read, so a lens shade would
be good to have.

Old July 1st 04, 05:49 PM
Mike King

I have both TLR and SLR medium formats and I use the twins much more often
so don't trade off the Yashicamat if/when you get a 645. Use both for a
while. I like the twin, it's lighter (nice when hiking) and the lack of
return mirror makes it good for portraits (easier to capture exact
expressions) and you can catch blinks as they happen and shoot another
frame.

If you need the versatility of interchangable lenses get a Mamiya C220 or
the older/cheaper C-33.

--
darkroommike

----------

Old July 3rd 04, 01:56 PM
Paul Friday

In message , Andrew McCall
writes
What sort of cable release do I need to get? I already have one that
works with my Nikon FM2n, will this work with the Yash?

Any cable release will work, but you need a special little cap that
screws on over the top of the shutter release and has a central threaded
hole for the cable.

--
----------------------------
Paul Friday
Old July 11th 04, 01:52 PM
Devil's Avocado

In article , J?rg
Preddimann wrote:

[...]

I can understand your desire to have a better quality image than a
35mm negative/slide or most digital SLRs will provide, therefore you
are dabbling with medium format. You can get better results if you buy
a Sigma SD10 DSLR. Not only will you have 10.3 Megapixels of
resolution to work with, but RAW files from this camera will print
amazing enlargements up to 30 by 40 inches that a 120/220
negative/slide would not be able to do without unacceptable grain.
When you are ready to *REALLY* move up, climb aboard the Sigma
express.

--

Jörg Preddimann

spurious claims with no supporting evidence.