Kodak EasyShare 4.0.2 vs. 3.2 Software - Feedback Wanted - DX 6490 Digital Cam

Old December 14th 04, 05:00 AM
Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com

Default Kodak EasyShare 4.0.2 vs. 3.2 Software - Feedback Wanted - DX 6490 Digital Cam

Need Advice

Traveling to Chicago this weekend (for four days) to visit my daughter. Taking Kodak DX6490. I had an extremely bad experience with version 3.2 ES. It took over my Internet connection, my ownership of my photos, and my CD Burner. I finally resolved all of those issues (phew ! '*_*') and despise feeling paranoid / limited over the amount of photos I take over my four-day visit. I could bring the 4.0.2 software along and load just the drivers and save to daughter's computer (but ... it is really her roomate's computer and I don't want to cause said roomate any iota of the pain I have experienced).

Suggestions, Please ... Trust the 4.0.2 version and download it? My gut feeling is that I should purchase some extra memory cards. Any and all advise appreciated, photog gurus.

Hopefully in the near future I will be asking REAL photography questions. I bought my camera on e-Bay and it is my FIRST camera with a serious zoom. I realize that the DX 6490 has it's (artistic?) limitaitons, but I am very pleased so far with the photos I have taken and am looking forward to experimenting further. The camera came with macro lenses and lens attachment thingy. ANYWAY ... back to the subject matter ... HELP with what to do to take max # of photos (I come up with endless ideas and don't want to miss opportunities). On 'good' picture quality I am able to take 40 pics! So, for now I stick with that for quantity ... quality will come later.

Is that a good tactic to take? Thank you all for your wonderful assistance and friendly advice.

Sadie

Old December 14th 04, 12:15 PM
Ron Hunter

Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com wrote:
[...]

First, one should always strive for quality. Just a few extra seconds
of thought can make a better picture, but much experience, and some
study, is needed so that you will know what to do, and what not to do.
Many of the pictures I take are for documentation only. That is, I
don't have time, or opportunity, to compose a shot, or pose people, and
I just take the picture to aid in remembering the occassion, or to share
it with those who weren't present. These aren't great pictures, nor are
they art, in any sense, but they ARE of use to those who want to see how
much a grandchild has grown, or to see a new baby.

As for dealing with putting pictures on someone else's computer, I
STRONGLY recommend getting a card reader and just using the computer's
OS to do the transfers. It is easy, quick, and leaves nothing on the
user's computer but the picture data. If the computer doesn't have
WinXP or one of the newer Mac OS's, then a driver disk may be required,
but these seldom cause trouble, and can be uninstalled after you are done.

--
Ron Hunter

Old December 14th 04, 03:44 PM
Larry

In article , says...
[...]

I concur... Under the BEST of curcumstances the Easyshare program is a PITA
and ties up your 'puter from time to time looking for upgrades, asking you if
you want to sign up for photo services ect.

I have a Kodak camera, and I like what easyshare does with the photos, but I
keep it shut off and locked out most of the time because of its bad habits.
It is software designed for the lowest common denominator in the IQ range of
its users.

I sincerley recommend you DONT install it on someone elses box, its a good
way to screw up a relationship.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Old December 14th 04, 04:19 PM
Jeremy

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
[...]

Good advice. Kodak EasyShare has recently been the subject of malware
reports, because it loads BackWeb software without clearly disclosing that
fact to the user. I have deleted it from my hard drive, along with all the
numerous Registry references to BackWeb, along with the BackWeb executable.
I have also set my firewall to deny any requests for BackWeb to access the
Internet, just in case it might still be on my system.

Sorry, but the price of "free" EasyShare software is too high, if it means
that this malware must be included.

Old December 14th 04, 04:25 PM
Jeremy

"Larry" wrote in message
ews.com...
In article , says...
[...]

The popups that you experience are courtesy of BackWeb, which is loaded onto
your computer along with EasyShare. BackWeb, on their website, states that
their popups are "polite," meaning that they only come up after a period of
inactivity, rather than disturb you when you are actively engaged in using
your computer.

I presume that makes it OK, in BackWeb's view. I am opposed to any attempt
to seize control of my computer, or to force-feed any unwelcome and
intrusive advertising message to me. BackWeb is just SPAM.

Try to delete it. If you go to BackWeb's web site, they refer you back to
the software vendor that bundled it. Try going to the Kodak website and
finding instructions on how to delete BackWeb--please let us know if you
find it, because if it is there at all, they have obscured it very well!

It has completely soured my on the Kodak brand--to have been victimized like
this--all so Kodak can make a buck.

Old December 14th 04, 04:25 PM
Jeremy

"Larry" wrote in message
ews.com...
In article , says...

Old December 14th 04, 04:50 PM
Ron Hunter

Jeremy wrote:
"Larry" wrote in message
ews.com...

In article , says...

[...]

Is 'victimized' the right word? In what way have you been harmed? If
you don't want back-web to work, just deny it access with your firewall
program.

--
Ron Hunter

Old December 14th 04, 04:50 PM