[Survey] -Prime Lenses in the kit

Old June 16th 04, 10:36 PM
Alan Browne

Default [Survey] -Prime Lenses in the kit

Have we done this recently? The Richard Cockburn "favourites"
looked at it from the pared down approach. Let's now look at it
from the overall use approach.

So, what primes do you have? What do you use that particular
prime for? Comments?

Format:

Manuf. FL Aperture Use Comments

Cheers,
Alan
--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old June 16th 04, 10:41 PM
Alan Browne

Alan Browne wrote:

Have we done this recently? The Richard Cockburn "favourites" looked at
it from the pared down approach. Let's now look at it from the overall
use approach.

So, what primes do you have? What do you use that particular prime
for? Comments?

Format:

Manuf. FL Aperture Use Comments

Minolta 20mm f/2.8 Landscape Sharp,
Perspective Vignettes
easilly

50mm f/1.7 Gen, group port, Sharp
Landscape

100mm f/2.8 Macro, Portrait SHARP!!!

300mm f/2.8 Nature V.G.

Cheers,
Alan

Old June 16th 04, 11:00 PM
Richard Cockburn

Alan Browne wrote in
:

Have we done this recently?

No, not this.

The Richard Cockburn "favourites"
looked at it from the pared down approach. Let's now look at it
from the overall use approach.

Nice idea. My narrow poll was intended to include a measure of
compromise...creating a nonsensical, hypothetical situation like being
forced by an authoritarian government to choose a single focal length to
shoot for a given period. The landscape artists who shoots the occasional
portrait would compromise at 35 or 50, for example. The portrait
photographer who shoots the occasional landscape would compromise at 50 or
85, for example. Sure a single FL does not cover all situations, but I
wanted to see what people would choose, just for the heck of it.

So, what primes do you have? What do you use that particular
prime for? Comments?

Format:

Manuf. FL Aperture Use Comments

Canon 50mm 1.4 street/group pics My first lens, and still my favorite.
Canon 85mm 1.8 portraits Great for portraits on my 10D (1.4 factor)

--
"Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)

-Richard Cockburn
Old June 16th 04, 11:19 PM
Skip M

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
. ..

Have we done this recently? The Richard Cockburn "favourites"
looked at it from the pared down approach. Let's now look at it
from the overall use approach.

So, what primes do you have? What do you use that particular
prime for? Comments?

Format:

Manuf. FL Aperture Use Comments

Canon 50mm f1.8 General Portraits with dig
Canon 100 f2 portrait
Sigma 15 f2.8 art fisheye

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old June 16th 04, 11:50 PM
Nick J

Alan Browne wrote:

Have we done this recently? The Richard Cockburn "favourites" looked at
it from the pared down approach. Let's now look at it from the overall
use approach.

So, what primes do you have? What do you use that particular prime
for? Comments?

Format:

Manuf. FL Aperture Use Comments

Canon 50mm 1.4 General indoor lens
Canon 85mm 1.8 Doesn't see a lot of use on my 300D but now I
have the elan it's starting to come out a little more
Canon 135mm 2.0 Tele on my 300D esp in conjunction with EF1.4X.
Since getting the elan I'm starting to experiment with some BW portraits
and am using this lens a bit here.

The 85 and 135 are both sharper than a super sharp, sharp thing. The 135
is also an absolute joy to use wide open (mmmmm creamy!) and works well
with the tele converter too.
The 50mm is lovely and bright although it's not the pleasure to use that
my old FD 55mm f1.2 was (that sadly was sold to finance the purchase of
the only non prime in my bag the lovely 17-40 f4)
Old June 16th 04, 11:56 PM
Matt Clara

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
. ..

Manuf. FL Aperture Use Comments

Nikon 24mm 2.8 Of course. My 17-35mm f 2.8 has a
better reputation at 24mm...

Nikon 28mm 2.8 Of course. Quite possibly the
sharpest wide angle in my stable...

Nikon 50mm 1.8 Of course. Fast is fast, sharp, too,
and you can't beat the price...

Nikon 105mm 2.5 Of course. An excellent portrait lens
for $100...

All of the above are AI-S lenses

Attached Files
File Type: txt mattclaraprimelenses.txt (579 Bytes, 292 views)
Old June 17th 04, 12:34 AM
Chris B

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
. ..

Have we done this recently? The Richard Cockburn "favourites"
looked at it from the pared down approach. Let's now look at it
from the overall use approach.

So, what primes do you have? What do you use that particular
prime for? Comments?

Format:

Manuf. FL Aperture Use Comments

Pentac SMC 28mm 2.8 Wide angle stuff (duh?!)
Pentax SMC 50mm 1.4 Everything!!! I love this lens!

I have a few other primes but they rarely see any work, none this year I
think. I like simplicity in equipment and frankly the 50/f1.4 does it for
me. The picture quality with it is fantastic.
One of my other great hobbies is playing the guitar - I have a similar
philosophy there. Whilst I try to understand everything I possibly can about
the equipment I have, I don't believe that the equipment makes the work. You
can use whatever you have available to the best of your ability - hence, one
decent prime should be all you need to take whatever you want. Of course, in
practice, this doesn't *exactly* hold true, but it's a nice theory

Chris.

Old June 17th 04, 03:14 AM
S Lee

Alan Browne choreographed a chorus line of high-kicking electrons to spell
out:

Have we done this recently? The Richard Cockburn "favourites"
looked at it from the pared down approach. Let's now look at it
from the overall use approach.

So, what primes do you have? What do you use that particular
prime for? Comments?

Format:

Manuf. FL Aperture Use Comments

Canon 35 2.0 General roustabouting
Canon 50 1.8 As above, though I bought this first.
Canon 100 2.0 DOF control, low light
Canon 400 5.6 Scaring small animals, birds, airplanes

-- - Simon -
ALL DONE! BYE BYE!

Old June 17th 04, 03:26 AM
Michael Scarpitti

Alan Browne wrote:

Have we done this recently? The Richard Cockburn "favourites" looked at
it from the pared down approach. Let's now look at it from the overall

Leitz 28mm f/2.8

50mm f/1.4

90mm f/2.0

180mm f/2.8

560mm f/6.8

Have also owned:

Leitz 21mm f/4
Leitz 19mm f/2.8
Leitz 90mm f/2.8
Leitz 50mm f/2.0
Leitz 180mm f/3.4
Leitz 180mm f/4.0
Leitz 400mm f/6.8
Leitz 250mm f/4.0
Old June 17th 04, 05:03 AM
Michael Benveniste

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 17:36:39 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

So, what primes do you have? What do you use that particular
prime for? Comments?

Format: 110
Manuf. FL Aperture Use Comments
Pentax 18mm f/2.8 Wide Goofing Off
Pentax 24mm f/2.8 Normal Goofing Off
Pentax 50mm f/2.8 Portrait Goofing Off
Pentax 70mm f/2.8 Tele Goofing Off

Format: 35mm
Manuf. FL Aperture Use Comments
Nikkor 20mm f/2.8AF Landscapes, Architecture
(Nikon, make a 28mm f/2 AF!)
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8AF-D Couple Portraiture, B&W
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8AI Standard for Nikon FA
Nikkor 85mm f/1.8AF-D Portraits
Tokina 90mm f/2.5 (MF) Macro, short-tele
Nikkor 180mm f/2.8AF-D Portraits, travel tele.

Format: 645
Manuf. FL Aperture Use Comments
Pentax 75mm f/2.8 Still Experimenting
Pentax 135mm f/4 Portraits, Leaf Shutter.

I also own a Rolleicord and a Nikkor EC-8B for my Coolpix, but I don't
know those fit into your survey.

--
Michael Benveniste --