A question for Applefans

Old September 12th 15, 05:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default A question for Applefans

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Yep. I know. I bought one for my old (old) W2000 machine.

a sample size of one means nothing.

It's a sample size of two, and two physically separated by almost the
maximum possible distance. It's reasonable to suppose my and
Whisky-Dave's' experience was representative of the prices at the
time.

two is still an invalid sample size.

there are/were firewire cards for much less than $100.

There weren't then. Otherwise I would have bought one.

yes they were.

here's what's available today:
$13
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815283035
$19
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166018

Which is totally irrelevant to the prices of 15 years ago. Remember we
are talking about when Firewire was new and USB 2 devices were just a
glimmer on the horizon for most of us.

it wasn't much different then.

i remember buying a pcmcia firewire card for an old powerbook that
didn't have built-in firewire about fifteen years ago for $25 or $30. i
also bought a combo firewire/usb card around for a desktop mac for
about $50 around the same time.

anyone who claims firewire was expensive did not shop around.
Old September 12th 15, 06:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 00:37:01 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Yep. I know. I bought one for my old (old) W2000 machine.

a sample size of one means nothing.

It's a sample size of two, and two physically separated by almost the
maximum possible distance. It's reasonable to suppose my and
Whisky-Dave's' experience was representative of the prices at the
time.

two is still an invalid sample size.

there are/were firewire cards for much less than $100.

There weren't then. Otherwise I would have bought one.

yes they were.

I *looked*.

I **researched**.

I can assure you that I never found anything cheaper.

here's what's available today:
$13
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815283035
$19
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166018

Which is totally irrelevant to the prices of 15 years ago. Remember we
are talking about when Firewire was new and USB 2 devices were just a
glimmer on the horizon for most of us.

it wasn't much different then.

i remember buying a pcmcia firewire card for an old powerbook that
didn't have built-in firewire about fifteen years ago for $25 or $30. i
also bought a combo firewire/usb card around for a desktop mac for
about $50 around the same time.

anyone who claims firewire was expensive did not shop around.

You don't listen do you.

Eric Stevens
Old September 13th 15, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 9/12/2015 12:37 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Yep. I know. I bought one for my old (old) W2000 machine.

a sample size of one means nothing.

It's a sample size of two, and two physically separated by almost the
maximum possible distance. It's reasonable to suppose my and
Whisky-Dave's' experience was representative of the prices at the
time.

two is still an invalid sample size.

Depends upon the population size and reliability factor required.

--
PeterN
Old September 13th 15, 03:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 00:37:01 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Yep. I know. I bought one for my old (old) W2000 machine.

a sample size of one means nothing.

It's a sample size of two, and two physically separated by almost the
maximum possible distance. It's reasonable to suppose my and
Whisky-Dave's' experience was representative of the prices at the
time.

two is still an invalid sample size.

It's still better than the one (yourself) you are relying upon.

Old September 14th 15, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

apple had no choice because the parts they were using no longer had
firewire support. how many times do i have to tell you that.

because it wasn't true.

it absolutely is true.

look at the chipset in the 5th gen ipod (aka video ipod) versus the
previous 4th gen. one chipset has firewire support and the other does
not.

So.
FW was avaibkle on macs long after the ipods stoped using FW, rthey even had
FW800.

this isn't about macs and firewire 800 is a complete waste on an ipod.

that means the only way for the 5th gen to have firewire sync would be
to add *another* chip and it wasn't worth it.

They added them to their desktops and laptops there wasnt; a shortage or that
it couldn't be done.

this isn't about desktops or laptops.

most people consider
them equivalent, although firewire definitely has the edge when pushed
hard, plus it can source a lot more current.

FW was better at costant speed for larger files. USB also needs to use
the main CPU whereas FW doesn't.

not an issue with ipods and the difference was negligible anyway.