IrfanView: sometimes very slow loading

Old September 14th 15, 07:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default IrfanView: sometimes very slow loading

On 2015-09-13 20:21:21 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 15:58:49 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

And finally regarding upgrading from XP, I use lots of software -
mostly music and photo, and almost none of it will run on XP. And I
think I'm a typical user.

as i said in another post, software developers aren't supporting xp
anymore.

Is that more of a case of XP not supporting software developers now
that there are few XP units extant? No point in expending time and
energy for the small demand.

The reason many software developers are not supporting XP is much the
same reason developers no longer support OSX 10.6.8 "Snow Leopard"(SL),
the capability of new versions and revisions of their software would
have to be crippled if they were to maintain backward compatibility.
The newer OSs, for both Win and OSX provide opportunity for developing
new software features and performance improvements over the versions
written for the now unsupported OSs.
Why should any developer ignore new and advanced OSs to support an OS
put out to pasture by its parent company, when they need to move on?

Consider Adobe, many folks felt they were compeled to upgrade from XP
and SL when Adobe dropped support for the OSs abandoned by MS and
Apple, but if you wanted to run PS CS6 and later, or LR5 and LR CC you
had no option but to upgrade from XP, or SL and move on.

The funny thing (with SL) is that you can run CS6 on (from Adobes
archives) it but not the tool that Adobe offers to install it with! ;-P

Even today in the Mac world there are many who will not upgrade from
SL, or who run it in a seperate partition because there is a favorite
software which does not exist for the newer editions of OSX. Snow
Leopard has in many ways become Apple's XP.
http://www.computerworld.com/article...sers-still-use
-os-x-snow-leopard.html

The

same thing applies to much new software written for Mac today, they
never had SL editions and never will, I think of the decent PS
substitutes Pixelmator and Affinity Photo, but those are not multi
platform apps either, and can fully take advantage of current OSX
features.

--
teleportation kills
Old September 14th 15, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 10:12:00 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

... you're denying
the common knowledge that their company is built
around business customers. Why would you think that?

A few weeks ago I saw a small news item that said GE had just renewed
a global license with Microsoft for 800,000 seats.

Who thinks that you and I (individually) really matter much to them.

Eric Stevens
Old September 14th 15, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Diesel

"p-0''0-h the cat (UK) - The voice of the Sheeple"

Mon, 14 Sep 2015
08:49:48 GMT in alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

They are a huge improvement.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

Hand holding isn't improving the malware situation. Only
education can do that.

Hand holding is the way forward and Microsoft know it. They have
proved it with Windows Phone. Big companies know it as well.

That's insane.

You're the one who's needs the education. Common sense would be a
good place to start.

*laugh* Thanks for your advice, all the same.

Is your favorite search engine broken?

I've wasted time on your rubbish claims before. If they exist at
all they are perversions of the truth.

About as much as the US electrical power grid condition. That was a
very short discussion, wasn't it? *grin*

Understand code. Listen dickhead this continual bull**** about you
magically understanding code just shows what a rank amateur you
really are.

No bull**** about my understanding code in various languages. I've
already proven I do. What's more, I was also able to prove that you
BULL**** about your expertise concerning coding the majority of the
time. You couldn't even tell me what a simple program was doing and
you managed to break the ****ing thing because you didn't understand
a very very simple programming language. Enough with the bull****
already.

I'm an amateur in the same way that BD is a professional security
expert.

You can't develop security systems without testing
them. Staring at screens only gets you so far. How do I know that.
Because I write and test code pretty much every working day.

That's why it took you weeks to identify HEX then? That's why you
couldn't answer a simple question, even when full source was
provided, then? Who the **** are you trying to bull**** now? me, or
yourself?

Don't lecture me on developing security systems, either, asshat. I'm
not a newbie in that dept, either. Nice vague comment 'security systems' too.

This is rubbish as well. It can be quite difficult running XP from
a limited user account. Far less so under later versions.

Explain what you mean by quite difficult running under a limited
user account. As the majority of the time, that's exactly how my
clients run it as well as most of the computers here. This is the
only one that I prefer to run as admin all the time, because *I*
know WTF i'm doing.

If they need admin rights to install a new piece of software, it's
as simple as right click, run as admin, provide proper credentials.
Done deal.

Otherwise, a limited user account lets them surf the web and check
their email and play most of their stupid old games that still work
under Windows XP. Some games don't even need 'admin' level rights to
run, either.

That is what the majority of the public actually uses the machine
for and the limited account is okay with it. They can even work with
MsOffice under a limited user account.

So, what examples am I missing that joe typical is going to have a
problem doing with the limited user account?

You have no idea of the fundemental differences between a personal
firewall and a packet filtering brick. You are just waffling.

Stop trying to slime and evade the subject. it's typical, but,
boring. You brought up the built in firewall. I answered the issues
concerning it and provided a 3rd party viable option that provides
the additional control you whined about the built in firewall not
having. Now, you're just talking straight ****. Again.

There are cures for 'user stupidity' as I've already outlined.

No, there isn't. If that were the case, the AV/AM industry would be
extinct, right now. As it is, the UAC was annoying enough in vista
that people turned it down and/or outright disabled it. I'll ask
again, what good is a security feature if it's so obnoxious people
deliberately disable it? That doesn't help them in the least little
bit.

I don't connect to open/public WiFis.

Still haven't figured out you need a WPA2 patch for XP eh! LOL.

Really? Strange, As last I checked, that 'patch' was for XP SP2 and
down. Nobody should still be running vanilla, sp1, sp1a, or sp2
systems.

It does *not* apply for XP SP3; you stupid ****.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...34bcdd6d2=True

KB Articles: KB893357

This update to Windows XP provides support for Wi-Fi Protected
Access 2 (WPA2), which is the latest standards-based wireless
security solution derived from the IEEE 802.11i standard. It
also contains Wireless Provisioning Services (WPS) Information
Element support, which enables improvements in wireless network
discoverability.

Supported Operating System

Windows XP Home Edition , Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows
XP Professional Edition, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP
Tablet PC Edition

Moron, I specifically said I didn't connect to open/public WiFis. I
*DO* use the Wifi here with several of the XP based laptops. No
patch required for full WPA2 benefits, either. As I don't run SP2 or
below. ALL of these XP machines are XP Pro SP3 VLK editions. *spank*

Want to talk more ****?

OK, lets talk ****.

Did either of those programs install themselves?

Can you install either of those programs if you don't have
administrative privileges?

Oh. You need an example or two of malware that went itw that did
escalate it's priveleges? I can provide them. Feel free to dig
yourself deeper. Just ask me.

As it is, I provided you two examples that took full advantage of
the encryption improvements MS the great has blessed modern editions
of Windows with. Why try to change the subject away from that? You
asked for examples. I provided a couple. I'd be happy to humour your
deflection about that and find you urls to malware that's 0wned the
MS be praised security measures you write so highly about too.

Why not kick your ass three for three in a row..

--
Optimist: Someone who doesn't know all the facts yet.
Old September 14th 15, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Diesel

David Taylor
Mon, 14 Sep 2015 04:11:17 GMT in
alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

On 14/09/2015 04:02, Diesel wrote:
[]
I understand. If you don't mind my asking... How many years do
you have in the business as an active.. I'm thinking, bench?
tech?

About 25 years in various roles in paid employment, including IT
Security and Windows & UNIX support, and since then I was running
my own business for about 13 years including support of users
running my own and 3rd-party software. Many of the users were
primarily interested in the results from the software rather than
knowing about the innards of Windows itself, but I've also been
involved in detailed beta tests of satellite data downloads where
we have been pushing PCs to the limit (two streams of 60 GB and
300 GB of data daily).

I'm not really sure I understand what you mean by pushing PCs to the
limit...I've ran FTP sites that moved that much or more in a given 24
hours or less. I wouldn't necessarily call it streaming though. It was
just transferring data over some nice fast pipes.

What languages do you develop software in?

--
Optimist: Someone who doesn't know all the facts yet.
Old September 14th 15, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Diesel

"p-0''0-h the cat (UK) - The voice of the Sheeple"

Mon, 14 Sep 2015
08:03:56 GMT in alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 03:02:12 +0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

"J. Clarke"
Sun, 13
Sep 2015 20:20:11 GMT in alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

So let's see, according to you Microsoft will be able to
steal information off of a doctor's computer in violation of
HIPPA? You mean that they just willingly abandoned the entire
medical market?

Nothing is according to me. I've published no papers or
articles myself on the subject. This is all from other sources.
Respected, IT, sources. I've made no claims that Microsoft can
outright steal anything, either. How do you steal something in
the digital world? Do you intend to delete the file when you're
done copying it, so the original owner no longer has it?

Sorry, but with that response you're not holding a discussion,
you're engaging in netloonery.

plonk

Interesting. You put words in my mouth, come up with some crazy
idea that MS is going to steal (wtf?) patient records. Yet, I'm
the netloon? Too funny.

Your self interested view on 'sharing' intellectual property i.e
stealing is not funny.

I'll ask you the same question then. How do you plan to steal digital
information? Are you going to delete the copy on the source after you
have verified the one on the target is good? Otherwise, I don't see
how you'll be stealing it (as in taking it away from the original
owner). Do you understand a different definition of stealing than
myself?

--
Optimist: Someone who doesn't know all the facts yet.
Old September 14th 15, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Diesel

Bill W
Mon, 14 Sep 2015
07:59:15 GMT in alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 03:02:12 +0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

Bill W
m Sun, 13 Sep 2015
19:10:37 GMT in alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

Total privacy is gone forever - it's just reality. If you are
afraid of every bit of info that is sent off into the ether,
turn off your phone, and disconnect from the internet. It's fine
to be cautious, but at some level, caution can become futile,
and a waste of time.

That's an interesting viewpoint. A discussion for another time,
perhaps.

And finally regarding upgrading from XP, I use lots of software
- mostly music and photo, and almost none of it will run on XP.
And I think I'm a typical user.

I'm very interested in learning the names of the programs and
versions that do not support XP for music and photo work. I'm also
interested in both (primarily music) and I haven't run into such
an issue, so far.

PS & LR CC, DXO Optics Pro & Viewpoint, HDR Express 3 for photos,
Cakewalk Sonar for music, to start. I don't believe any of the
newer DAW's work with XP. Arturia soft synths, and probably most
of the others need 7 and up.

Interesting. Some of those are on the pricey side for software,
aren't they?

--
Optimist: Someone who doesn't know all the facts yet.
Old September 15th 15, 12:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Bill W

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 22:51:26 +0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

Bill W
Mon, 14 Sep 2015
07:59:15 GMT in alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 03:02:12 +0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

Bill W
om Sun, 13 Sep 2015
[...]

It depends on your definition of pricey. I think they are all worth
what I paid, but I also tend to wait for specials. With Cakewalk, I've
been using that about as long as they've been around (the late 80's),
so it's just occasional upgrade pricing when I choose to do that. But
even now, they have a basic version for about $100, I believe, and it
does plenty. I didn't think any of the photo software was pricey at
all. And I consider Lightroom with Photoshop CC at $10/month a
bargain.
Old September 15th 15, 01:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 22:51:24 +0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

[...]

Quelle surprise. Usual word wall of disjointed verbal diarrhea, edited out
of context responses mixed with a rather large dose of complete drivel. How
do I manage to reduce you to a gibbering idiot with such consistency. It's
just a talent I have I guess. I dunno why I bothered reading it though.
It's pointless trying to save your sorry reputation that way Dusty. It gets
shot full of holes every time Pooh's around. Try adding some real content
boyo. Surprise us.

Anyway, as expected, your comments about malware using the encryption
improvements in later versions of Windows was complete ********. The
malware was installed therefore as far as Windows is concerned it's legit.

OS's are like that. They do their master's bidding.

They didn't install themselves then did they Dusty. I'll take your lack of
response as an affirmative. Someone with administrative privileges did. So
Microsoft were not at fault. Silly boy. Why suggest they were. Ergo your
comments were totally stupid. As per usual.

Toodly poos.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

--
p-0.0-h the cat

Devil incarnate, Linux user#666, ******* hacker, Resident evil, Monkey Boy,
the SCOURGE, l33t p00h d3 tr0ll, p00h == lam3r, p00h == tr0ll,
troll infâme, the OVERCAT [The BEARPAIR are dead, and we are its murderers]
lowlife troll, shyster [pending approval by STATE_TERROR], cripple,
sociopath, kook, smug prick, smartarse, arsehole, moron, idiot, imbecile,
snittish scumbag, liar, total ******* retard, shill, pooh-seur,
scouringerer, the most complete ignoid, and furball.

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896
Old September 15th 15, 01:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Diesel

"p-0''0-h the cat (UK) - The voice of the Sheeple"

Tue, 15 Sep 2015
00:17:17 GMT in alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

Quelle surprise. Usual word wall of disjointed verbal diarrhea,
edited out of context responses mixed with a rather large dose of
complete drivel.

Ahhh... Damage control by deflection, again. Old news, though. You
tried this same routine when you ****ed up with my exevalid question.

You did a fine job of stepping on your own dick with the WPA2 patch
comment, too.

You're writing ********.

Anyway, as expected, your comments about malware using the
encryption improvements in later versions of Windows was complete
********. The malware was installed therefore as far as Windows is
concerned it's legit.

You're a joke.

OS's are like that. They do their master's bidding.

That they do. Be it the owner of the machine, or a coder someplace.
Somebody will be the master. The only question is who.

They didn't install themselves then did they Dusty. I'll take your
lack of response as an affirmative. Someone with administrative
privileges did. So Microsoft were not at fault. Silly boy. Why
suggest they were. Ergo your comments were totally stupid. As per
usual.

Again, damage control by deflection.

I suppose you don't want me to provide more urls then. ROFL. Poseur,
as I've always said you were. You talk much ****.

Toodly poos.

Indeed.

--
Optimist: Someone who doesn't know all the facts yet.
Old September 15th 15, 07:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
David Taylor

On 14/09/2015 23:51, Diesel wrote:
[]
I'm not really sure I understand what you mean by pushing PCs to the
limit...I've ran FTP sites that moved that much or more in a given 24
hours or less. I wouldn't necessarily call it streaming though. It was
just transferring data over some nice fast pipes.

What languages do you develop software in?

The data is sent once as a broadcast stream - no retries or anything
like that. Miss that data, and you've missed part of an image or some
meteorological data you wanted. The PCs have to be very carefully set
up with RAMdisks etc. to achieve loss-free reception. It is effectively
streaming, and it does push PCs to the limit.

There are more details he
http://www.eumetsat.int/website/home...082113.html#sp

I don't develop the reception software (although I take part in beta
tests and automated analysis of the performance). The processing
software I write is in Delphi - a Pascal-like language which produces
efficient object code, and has a first-class development environment -
something I as a single developer really need to make the best use of my
time.

--
Cheers,
David