The Instamatic of Today

Old September 20th 15, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default The Instamatic of Today

In article ,
David Taylor wrote:

On 20/09/2015 11:32, android wrote:
[]
Only if you shoot jpeg, and then you could just as well use a phone.
You can't correct fussiness...

Results from micro-four-thirds are much better than those from a 'phone
and, of course, the range of lenses is a lot greater, so I cannot agree
with your statement.

Well at the price you get better offerings from lets say Fuji and Canon.
Almost as compact and with the better overall image quality that larger
sensors yields. I would suggest taking the time to learn shoot and
process raw if you intend spend the money asked for any of mentioned
systems, BTW.

There are good lenses and bad lenses in many different mount types, so
selecting a bad example and a good example in different mounts doesn't
prove a lot.

You were suggesting that your choice of system was based on ease of use
and size. I think that a good modest wide-angle lens in the pancake form
factor would essential for such a system...
--
teleportation kills
Old September 20th 15, 06:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 20/09/2015 17:42, android wrote:
[]
Well at the price you get better offerings from lets say Fuji and Canon.
Almost as compact and with the better overall image quality that larger
sensors yields. I would suggest taking the time to learn shoot and
process raw if you intend spend the money asked for any of mentioned
systems, BTW.

Ah, but there's the rub: "Almost as compact". For me, the size that's
right today is micro-four-thirds.

I am familiar with RAW, but it does not fit well with my taking or
post-processing approach. For me, JPEG is "good enough" almost all the
time.

You were suggesting that your choice of system was based on ease of use
and size. I think that a good modest wide-angle lens in the pancake form
factor would essential for such a system...

I think "ease of transport" would be more appropriate than "ease of
use". Yes, such a lens is nice to have for the most compact system, and
we have the Panasonic 20 mm f/1.7:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...nic_20_1p7_o20

which has proven quite adequate in practice and about which DP Review
writes: "The Panasonic 20mm F1.7 pancake does rather well in our studio
tests". At the time, the body and that lens were being offered at a
good price, but thanks for your notes!

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 20th 15, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
David Taylor wrote:

[...]

I don't care much for DPR but Photozone has made test of the mentioned
mFT pancakes. The Panasonic do indeed seem to be a tad better than the
Olympus but not impressive. It's also equivalent to a 50mm full frame
and that's not really what I think most of us want's as a standard
walkabout lens, but YMMV.

which has proven quite adequate in practice and about which DP Review
writes: "The Panasonic 20mm F1.7 pancake does rather well in our studio
tests". At the time, the body and that lens were being offered at a
good price, but thanks for your notes!

Your looking for good enough, and have obviously found your level...

My "notes" was not made for your benefit, but you're welcome anyways.
--
teleportation kills
Old September 20th 15, 07:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
David Taylor wrote:

[...]

Edit: Not 50mm but 40mm but not a wideangle anyways...

http://tinyurl.com/androidphotography
Old September 21st 15, 05:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 20/09/2015 19:07, android wrote:
[]
Your looking for good enough, and have obviously found your level...

You imply that no-one makes compromises.

I believe that the majority, even in this group, compromise to "find
their level" and look for "good enough", otherwise everyone would be
buying the most expensive full-frame (or bigger!) cameras and the most
expensive lenses, and most here would be broke through pursuing their
hobby! Oh, but perhaps they are!

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 21st 15, 06:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
David Taylor wrote:

On 20/09/2015 19:07, android wrote:
[]
Your looking for good enough, and have obviously found your level...

You imply that no-one makes compromises.

No I imply that that's good enough for you isn't very good considering
the price of the stuff involved.
--
teleportation kills
Old September 21st 15, 06:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 21/09/2015 06:16, android wrote:
[]
No I imply that that's good enough for you isn't very good considering
the price of the stuff involved.

Your definition of "good" - apparently based purely on image quality per
dollar paid - is much narrower than mine. I consider what I have to be
"very good", but certainly not "perfect". Price is an important factor,
but not the major one, and image quality is also important, but not the
only factor.

We have different needs and requirements, and are therefore unlikely to
agree on the "best" kit.

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 21st 15, 06:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
David Taylor wrote:

On 21/09/2015 06:16, android wrote:
[]
No I imply that that's good enough for you isn't very good considering
the price of the stuff involved.

Your definition of "good" - apparently based purely on image quality per
dollar paid - is much narrower than mine. I consider what I have to be
"very good", but certainly not "perfect". Price is an important factor,
but not the major one, and image quality is also important, but not the
only factor.

We have different needs and requirements, and are therefore unlikely to
agree on the "best" kit.

Errr... I' more in the camp that thinks mFT is on the boarder to fraud!
If it hasn't crossed it!
--
teleportation kills
Old September 21st 15, 09:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 21/09/2015 06:53, android wrote:
[]
Errr... I' more in the camp that thinks mFT is on the boarder to fraud!
If it hasn't crossed it!

Do you mean "expensive"? I would have to agree with that, but not on
image quality.

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 21st 15, 10:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
David Taylor wrote:

---

I've proven my point. I invite any interested party read that that's
written upstream.
--
teleportation kills