Canham MQC 5x7 vs. Wood & Metal 5x7

Old May 25th 04, 10:56 PM
Anonymous

Default Canham MQC 5x7 vs. Wood & Metal 5x7

I am in the final stages of deciding between the all metal ("MQC") and "Wood
and Metal" Canham 5x7 cameras. I plan on using 5x7 exclusively for black
and white fine art photography so the availability of a wide variety of
films is not an issue for me.

I have a Schneider 110mm XL, a Schneider 210mm APO-Symmar, and Fuji 450mm C
lenses.

Does anyone have any insight as to the ease of use of either of these 2
cameras with these lenses, or just the general ease of use of either one of
the cameras vs. the other.

I've heard the MQC is less rigid than the Wood & Metal (due to the lack of
the "diagonal bar" coming down from the rear standard).

I've also heard the MQC is more flexible when using the 110mm lens due to
its shorter minimum bellows draw. (and no, I do NOT want to buy the bag
bellows; just one more piece of equipment to buy/lug around/lose/break).

TIA---

Old May 26th 04, 03:05 PM
Jimbecia

Hi,

I have the wood version of the 5X7 and have no complaints about it whatsoever.
I also have the DLC (4X5 metal version). I think it is an exceptional camera
also. I have actually given some thought to replacing the wood version with
the metal (not because I'm dissatisfied, but to keep the same style on both
camers so that using both is second nature. Keith Canham makes a great product
as far as I am concerned. I also have the 110 and the 450 and have no problems
using either on on the wood 5X7. Like I said, I don't have the MQC, but if it
performs like the DLC, I would not personally hesitate to buy it. Jim
Old July 11th 04, 11:29 PM
Thom

On Tue, 25 May 2004 14:56:39 -0700, "Anonymous"
wrote:

I am in the final stages of deciding between the all metal ("MQC") and "Wood
and Metal" Canham 5x7 cameras. I plan on using 5x7 exclusively for black
and white fine art photography so the availability of a wide variety of
films is not an issue for me.

I have a Schneider 110mm XL, a Schneider 210mm APO-Symmar, and Fuji 450mm C
lenses.

I have a Fuji 420mm for my 8x10 that is so sharp you cut your fingers
changing F-stops!

THOM