Memory Cards

Old February 24th 11, 01:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ofnuts

Default Memory Cards

On 02/24/2011 11:36 AM, Bruce wrote:

And if you still want to talk about dropping the memory card outdoors,
tell me how you remove sand& dirt that entered the contacts slots of a
CF card.

Thank you so much for dreaming up yet another non-existent "problem".

Look who is talking!

--
Bertrand
Old February 24th 11, 02:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2/24/2011 5:11 AM, Ofnuts wrote:
On 02/24/2011 10:43 AM, Bruce wrote:

Since you seem to be an apologist for 'SD', maybe you can explain why
the fragile arrangement of their contacts plus their thin, light and
flimsy form factor that means they blow away easily if dropped in
breezy conditions

This must be the silliest argument I've ever seen on newsgroups in a
while. Given the capacities of cards, even a trigger-happy amateur will
have a very hard time filling one and so would rarely experiences the
urge to swap cards in the wild.

And if you still want to talk about dropping the memory card outdoors,
tell me how you remove sand & dirt that entered the contacts slots of a
CF card.

It's happened to me. Indeed last week I went to a local bird sanctuary
to try for woodpeckers in flight. I had 43 shots left on an 8g card.
And no, I got no decent shots of the birds in flight.

--
Peter
Old February 24th 11, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2/24/2011 8:56 AM, Ofnuts wrote:
On 02/24/2011 11:36 AM, Bruce wrote:

And if you still want to talk about dropping the memory card outdoors,
tell me how you remove sand& dirt that entered the contacts slots of a
CF card.

Thank you so much for dreaming up yet another non-existent "problem".

Look who is talking!

I gotta go with Brucie on that one. When i drop a CF card, it is never
used until I am comfortable there is no dirt. I now make it a point to
always carry at least two spares.

--
Peter
Old February 24th 11, 03:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 2/24/11 7:53 AM, in article ,
"They're Morons -- All" wrote:

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:51:48 +0000, Bruce wrote:

ASCII wrote:
Maybe because not all users of SD cards aren't so fumble fingered
as to have them blow away in the wind,
besides with 8gb of memory I hardly ever remove them from the camera
until I'm safely back home.

Most amateurs find SD cards perfectly satisfactory. They don't tend
to go out shooting in adverse conditions. They don't take cards out
of the camera other than indoors. So it doesn't matter to an amateur
how flimsy they are, or whether they blow away in the wind. SD cards
are well suited to that market.

CF cards appeal strongly to a different market, one that amateurs
simply don't understand. As this thread proves. ;-)

On the contrary, CF cards wouldn't have lasted 2 days under the adverse
conditions that I've had many-months photos shoots. Swamps on rare-orchid
hunts, windy deserts, etc. While I don't like them, Memory Sticks will even
survive a run through a washing machine and drier, let alone a simple
accidental dunk in a swamp. So too will some brands of SD cards. If you
drop a CF card in water or get sand in it, you can kiss your
"equipment-jewelry-defines-pro-status,-not-any-talent-nor-common-sense"
career goodbye.

Let me get this straight, Tonto: You can brave the elements and near
disastrous climates, but you forget to clean your pockets when you wash your
skivvies?

Old February 24th 11, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ofnuts

On 02/24/2011 03:29 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 2/24/2011 8:56 AM, Ofnuts wrote:
On 02/24/2011 11:36 AM, Bruce wrote:

And if you still want to talk about dropping the memory card outdoors,
tell me how you remove sand& dirt that entered the contacts slots of a
CF card.

Thank you so much for dreaming up yet another non-existent "problem".

Look who is talking!

I gotta go with Brucie on that one. When i drop a CF card, it is never
used until I am comfortable there is no dirt. I now make it a point to
always carry at least two spares.

So you confirm that the CF cannot be put safely back in the camera for
fear that there is dirt at the bottom of the contact slots, while the SD
can be wiped on one's trousers.

--
Bertrand
Old February 24th 11, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
They're Morons -- All

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 09:29:43 -0600, George Kerby
wrote:

ASCII wrote:
[...]

I find it thoroughly uninteresting that you are highly concerned about some
other man's "skivvies". Perhaps you should find some gay man to stalk
instead.

Old February 25th 11, 01:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 2/24/11 1:03 PM, in article ,
"They're Morons -- All" wrote:

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 09:29:43 -0600, George Kerby
wrote:

On 2/24/11 7:53 AM, in article
,

ASCII wrote:
[...]

Projecting again, Tonto? I was concerned about your mental disorders.

Thanks for playing!

Old February 25th 11, 12:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
TheRealSteve

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:49:54 -0000, "Mike J Cawood, HND BIT"
wrote:

"clarity" wrote in message

no-one outside of lexar will know their plans.

i needed a new sd card. with future versatility in mind, i elected to
buy a 2gb 133x professional sd card. of a decent size and fast speed
20mb/sec, i found one on amazon uk. i think lexar are the best overall,
the card has improved speed of my older camera. depends on device.
lexar.com has 2gb compatibility chart,so you can check before-hand. and
i will be able to use in sdhc and sdxc devices in the future, if i want.

the future of CF must be in doubt, as now sd production dwarfs cf,;
economies of scale sre paramount, as in all industries, imo

With more and more camera manufacturers changing over to SD cards, the CF
card will be pretty much extinct in a couple of years.
Regards Mike.

Still today, new CF cards are the better bargain in terms of price for
performance in capacity and speed.

It seems to me that for those of us still using CF cards, we'll be
able to get tons of them used really cheap as others replace their CF
cameras with SD ones. There's a lot of CF cards out there and they
last a lot longer than the cameras that use them.

You can still buy film long after the heyday of film has passed. And
unlike a CF card, that's a consumable with a limited shelf life.

I don't see the supply of CF cards drying up any time soon.

Steve
Old February 27th 11, 02:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"Bruce" wrote in message
[]
No need to rush with CF either. It will still be around a couple of
decades from now.

A couple of years, yes, but decades? I have my doubts. Have you tried to
buy any VHS tape from the high street recently? Or cassette tape?

Cheers,
David

Old February 27th 11, 03:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bruce
wrote:

"David J Taylor" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
No need to rush with CF either. It will still be around a couple of
decades from now.

A couple of years, yes, but decades? I have my doubts. Have you tried to
buy any VHS tape from the high street recently? Or cassette tape?

Take your head out of the sand and look around, David. CF is very
widely used in applications other than photography.

so is sd.

It will remain a
standard flash memory device for a very long time to come.

nobody knows what will be around in a couple of decades, let alone one
decade. already, the successor to cf (cfast) has been announced, which
is both electrically and physically incompatible.

There's no need for SD users to get irrationally upset about that, or
to tell lies about CF's alleged "imminent demise".

nobody is upset. sd is dominant and cf is #2. both can coexist.

SD will be around for a long time too. They just appeal to different
markets, that's all.

there's some overlap.