Zone l V enlarger

Old February 24th 04, 09:24 PM
Gary Banuk

Default Zone l V enlarger

I have a zone 6 enlarger that is a few years old. It has the variable
contrast head and electronics.
I see that in the new catalog that they no longer offer it. What is
the story? To many complaints of low light level?
Old February 25th 04, 04:15 AM
Lew

Hi Gary:
I thought that the light level was too low at first, too. However, it
turns out that vc papers are extremely sensitive to the color put out by the
head, and that it's too intense if anything. I've taken to printing 35mm
negs with an 80mm lens just to get enough distance between the negative and
the paper so as to have longer exposure times.
I do admit that focusing can be a problem. Seems I have daylight, not vc
sensitive eyes. On the other hand, a sales person has assured me that
there's a wiz-bang LED head in the works.
-Lew

Old February 25th 04, 11:50 PM
Tim Daneliuk

Gary Banuk wrote:

I have a zone 6 enlarger that is a few years old. It has the variable
contrast head and electronics.
I see that in the new catalog that they no longer offer it. What is
the story? To many complaints of low light level?

I frequent the Calumet store in the Chicago suburbs. There has been
a noticeable reduction in the amount of traditional film/paper/
equipment that they stock. In talking to the (very nice) people
that work there I was informed that digital is primarily driving
things these days. This makes sense since Calumet (at least around
here) primarily serves pros who are dashing towards digital as fast
as the technology and budget permits.

That said, I was also informed that Calumet will continue to carry
traditional materials (in their warehouse, if not every store) so
long as the manufacturers keep making it.

My guess is that the already small market for enlargers is even
smaller for a boutique englarger like the Zone VI.

A-Happy-User-Of-A-ZoneVI-VC-Head-ly Yours,
(see: http://www.tundraware.com/Photography/Darkroom/)

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/