Light Room Problem - Serious - Please help (if possible)

Old February 9th 15, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

Default Light Room Problem - Serious - Please help (if possible)

On 2015-02-09 23:27:33 +0000, PeterN said:

On 2/9/2015 5:36 PM, nospam wrote:

snip

the crashes can be due to a lot of things, not necessarily adobe's
apps. often, it's due to buggy drivers.

And in Lancaster, PA the Amish blame the motorists.

....and Discovery Channel.

Savageduck

Old February 9th 15, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

I've just hated Adobe since I
first encountered Reader some 20 years ago. Slow, bloated,
uncooperative, sort of like me at work.

reader is not slow and bloated.

the full acrobat itself might be, but that's a different app.

either way, uninstall it and use preview. much simpler.

Other than the complication, he isn't using a Mac, so he doesnt have
Preview to play with.

that can be remedied.
Old February 9th 15, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 18:27:33 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

On 2/9/2015 5:36 PM, nospam wrote:

snip

the crashes can be due to a lot of things, not necessarily adobe's
apps. often, it's due to buggy drivers.

And in Lancaster, PA the Amish blame the motorists.

This can't continue. Something must be done.
Old February 9th 15, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 17:36:56 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Further, while the development module may have been disabled
yesterday, it works today. Wierd.

This is one of the reasons I bought PSP, DXO, and others. Everything
Adobe does seems to me to be inelegant, unfinished, bloated, and
glitch plagued.

...and yet many of us have no major problems with either PS or LR.

I don't have any major problems either. None of the crashes have
caused any losses, I just hate crashes. And glitches. And they do seem
to have gotten better over the years.

the crashes can be due to a lot of things, not necessarily adobe's
apps. often, it's due to buggy drivers.

I've just hated Adobe since I
first encountered Reader some 20 years ago. Slow, bloated,
uncooperative, sort of like me at work.

reader is not slow and bloated.

the full acrobat itself might be, but that's a different app.

either way, uninstall it and use preview. much simpler.

Reader, too, has become much more nimble over the years, and has
caught up with its competition. I was talking about my early
experience with it, the experience that started my loathing of all
things Adobe. Realistically, nothing they make is particularly bad
anymore, but I can still say bad things about them if I want.
Old February 10th 15, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

On 2/9/2015 5:36 PM, nospam wrote:

snip

the crashes can be due to a lot of things, not necessarily adobe's
apps. often, it's due to buggy drivers.

And in Lancaster, PA the Amish blame the motorists.

This can't continue. Something must be done.

You are correct. Puns are not funny. A while ago I tried to make ten
people laugh by telling them ten different puns. No pun in ten did.
ducking for cover

--
PeterN
Old February 10th 15, 12:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 08:41:54 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Mon, 9 Feb 2015 09:10:27 -0800, Savageduck

On 2015-02-09 16:23:25 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Mon, 9 Feb 2015 07:27:23 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

The entire bit about exporting is, as far as I can tell, completely
unrelated to your problem. The folder in which the exported copies
are is unrelated to the problem. Those are just copies of images you
had in LR. Fully functional .jpg copies just as if you copied the
image any other way.

That could well be a major part of Eric's missing image issue.

It's a false trail in this case, and going into it just makes Eric's
problem sound more complicated.

I think that it is a case of Eric over thinking how to use LR.

Officer, didn't you just love those cases where the witnesses didn't
tell you all that happened, but only those bits that they thought were
relevant? My approach is dicated by a lifetime of forensic training:
you get all the facts and only later do you decide what is relevant.

--- snip, and loud blasts of 'Eureka' on the strumpet ---

In fact, Ossifer, I didn't tell you enough. The exporting was very
relavent.

In fact, the exporting of the files was at the heart of the matter.
Yesterday, I had a struggle getting LR to set up presets which would
export to particular folders in the way I wanted. One of the decisions
I have made is to have the names of all files processed by Lightroom
prefixed by 'LR-' so that I will later know where it has come from.
For reasons too complicated to go into one of my export efforts
exported back into the master folder and over-wrote all but the first
ten or so files, renaming them with a 'LR-' prefix in the process.
From that point on those original master files were lost to LR.

To make matters worse, when I looked at that folder with Windows
explorer (or similar) all I saw were the initial correctly named
files. Nothing looked amiss. So on I went.

Only after much poking around, looking at and swapping backups etc,
did I realise what had happened. So off I went to my ordinary bricks
and mortar back up and copied the correctly named files into the
master folder.

It would correct to say that I am now very much relieved.

I must find out how that name change by Lightroom while over-writing
works.

Eric Stevens
Old February 10th 15, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

From that point on those original master files were lost to LR.

To make matters worse, when I looked at that folder with Windows
explorer (or similar) all I saw were the initial correctly named
files. Nothing looked amiss. So on I went.

Only after much poking around, looking at and swapping backups etc,
did I realise what had happened. So off I went to my ordinary bricks
and mortar back up and copied the correctly named files into the
master folder.

It would correct to say that I am now very much relieved.

I must find out how that name change by Lightroom while over-writing
works.

So after the crash invstigation, the cause of the crash has been shown
to be pilot error.

Savageduck

Old February 10th 15, 03:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

From that point on those original master files were lost to LR.

To make matters worse, when I looked at that folder with Windows
explorer (or similar) all I saw were the initial correctly named
files. Nothing looked amiss. So on I went.

Only after much poking around, looking at and swapping backups etc,
did I realise what had happened. So off I went to my ordinary bricks
and mortar back up and copied the correctly named files into the
master folder.

It would correct to say that I am now very much relieved.

I must find out how that name change by Lightroom while over-writing
works.

So after the crash invstigation, the cause of the crash has been shown
to be pilot error.

Not exactly. He pilot kept trying to turn down the cabin heat but for
some reason the plane chose to retract the undercarriage and didn't
tell the pilot.

Eric Stevens
Old February 10th 15, 04:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

From that point on those original master files were lost to LR.

To make matters worse, when I looked at that folder with Windows
explorer (or similar) all I saw were the initial correctly named
files. Nothing looked amiss. So on I went.

Only after much poking around, looking at and swapping backups etc,
did I realise what had happened. So off I went to my ordinary bricks
and mortar back up and copied the correctly named files into the
master folder.

It would correct to say that I am now very much relieved.

I must find out how that name change by Lightroom while over-writing
works.

So after the crash invstigation, the cause of the crash has been shown
to be pilot error.

Not exactly. He pilot kept trying to turn down the cabin heat but for
some reason the plane chose to retract the undercarriage and didn't
tell the pilot.

At least he seems to have made a safe wheels up landing.

The only embarrasing thing would be if he was still parked on the apron
when those wheels came up.

Savageduck