Canon EOS D10 vs. Fuji S2: Opinions?

Old July 22nd 04, 06:43 PM
David Sleeter

Default Canon EOS D10 vs. Fuji S2: Opinions?

Hi Folks:

In April of 2003 I bought a Fuji Finepix S2 camera body, and 2 autofocus
Tamron lenses. I've been a "Canon person" for many years, but I bought the
Fuji (with its Nikon body) because it was the only affordable 6.1 megapixel
camera available at the time, and I needed that resolution for my publishing
business.

Since Canon came out with their Eos D10, though it's priced substantially
below the Fuji, I've consistently heard that it's a slightly better camera
in terms of hardware and firmware engineering. It uses a new CMOS-type chip,
and it also has a "bulb" shutter setting that the Fuji lacks.

I'm seriously considering the idea of selling my Fuji equipment, and
replacing it with a brand new Eos D10 body and the same Tamron lenses, but
with the Canon mounts.

In the current market, the sale of my used Fuji equipment would bring almost
enough to pay for the new Canon equipment. But before I do this, I want to
get some expert opinions. My questions are as follows.

1. In general photographic use, is the Canon body really better than the
Fuji body? For example, are things like brightness/contrast and color
balance better? I shoot a lot of black & white, and with my Fuji exposures,
I DO spend some time readjusting the brightness and contrast in Photoshop.

2. How does the Canon's CMOS chip compare in terms of noise? I have a
Celestron Nexstar 11 GPS, and I'm considering using the camera/telescope
combo for astrophotoraphy.

3. And I have another application too. I have a scanning electron microscope
in my shop, and for photography I use a 35mm. film camera. It takes the
scope about 60 seconds to scan an image onto the film. I'd like to use a
digital camera, but my Fuji is limited to a 30 second exposure. With the
Eos's bulb setting, I could do the 60 second exposure. But I'm wondering if
the image would look good, or would it contain a lot of noise?

Canon vs. Fuji. I'm in need of some good advice. My thanks in advance for
any helpful opinions or suggestions.

David Sleeter

Old July 22nd 04, 06:53 PM
Zebedee

I can't help your specific questions but... you can buy an adaptor to put
Nikon lenses onto a Canon, made by Novoflex and sold by SRB Film Service for
£100 approx.

I have been a lifelong Nikon man but what with the fact Nikon refuses to
allow anybody to use Manual Focus lenses with all but the D2, I can save
myself a bundle by buying a Canon D300 and a Novoflex adaptor.

This Nikon man's going Canon due to Nikon's blatant profiteering.

--
Yours

Zebedee

(Claiming asylum in an attempt
to escape paying his debts to
Dougal and Florence)

Old July 22nd 04, 06:58 PM
Brian C. Baird

In article ,
says...
1. In general photographic use, is the Canon body really better than the
Fuji body? For example, are things like brightness/contrast and color
balance better? I shoot a lot of black & white, and with my Fuji exposures,
I DO spend some time readjusting the brightness and contrast in Photoshop.

You'll always be fine-tuning stuff in Photoshop if you want perfect
results.

The Finepix S2 is an excellent camera, but the 10D is also. I would
head to dpreview.com and read up on the pros and cons of each before
making the final decision. The 10D can be had relatively cheap these
days - around $1300 if you know where to look on-line.

2. How does the Canon's CMOS chip compare in terms of noise? I have a
Celestron Nexstar 11 GPS, and I'm considering using the camera/telescope
combo for astrophotoraphy.

A lot of people use the 10D/300D for astrophotography with good results.
Do a google search and you'll find some good stuff.

3. And I have another application too. I have a scanning electron microscope
in my shop, and for photography I use a 35mm. film camera. It takes the
scope about 60 seconds to scan an image onto the film. I'd like to use a
digital camera, but my Fuji is limited to a 30 second exposure. With the
Eos's bulb setting, I could do the 60 second exposure. But I'm wondering if
the image would look good, or would it contain a lot of noise?

Depends on the ISO and the amount of light provided by the scope. If
there isn't a limit on time, you can shoot a low ISO and use the
optional remote to set a long exposure on the 10D. That will give you a
low noise image without much hassle.

Old July 22nd 04, 07:21 PM
Sabineellen

2. How does the Canon's CMOS chip compare in terms of noise?

I can't specifically answer your question about the D10, but I can assume that
it's probably similar to the D100 or D60.

"OK, now that we have gotten the basic feature differences of the S2 and D100
out of the way lets move on to the real meat of any digicam review, image
quality. The S2's new Fuji SuperCCD is a very good performer, so much so that
it actually surpasses the D100 and D60 for overall resolution. There has always
been a lot of pro and con discussions about Fuji SuperCCD imagers and the way
they interpolate the final image data. In six-megapixel mode the S2 has no
problem keeping up with the competition but in twelve-megapixel mode the
results can be awesome with some post-processing by Photoshop. The real trick
is to do all of your sharpening in software, I use a combination of Camera
Bits' Quantum Mechanic filter and Photoshop's unsharp mask before making 13 x
19-inch prints. The S2 will make a terrific studio camera as it has the same
capability as the S1 Pro at rendering very accurate and pleasing skin tones. In
fact, the S2 does a wonderful job of rendering true and accurate colors in a
wide variety of shooting conditions. Just remember that if you're making the
switch from film to digital, the exposure range is much tighter in digital.
Where film has a good five to seven stop range of exposure latitude, digital is
limited to about three to four stops and only one of those stops is in the
"plus" range. It is very easy to blowout the detail in a digital image with
over-exposure, especially in studio multi-light portrait shots."

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/s2_pg6.html

I guess the qeustion really is what type of images you shoot. You mentioned
low-light usage such as astrophotography and microscopy. I think my general
impression is that a CMOS censor is ideal for these, though I'm not experienced
with the S2.

Had it been general, daytime photography then even a P&S like an Olympus 5060
or 8080 would've probably been more than adequate.

Old July 23rd 04, 12:25 AM
Skip M

"David Sleeter" wrote in message
[...]

Check to see if you local camera store(s) have a 10D to rent. The one close
to me does. Try it and a lens that you have an equivalent for out and
compare with your Fuji.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com