Canon Powershot Problem

Old December 28th 05, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Canon Powershot Problem

I have a Canon Powershot A70. I used it for two years without problems. But
just since last week, my Canon Powershot A70 adds red horizontal lines to
all recorded images. I reformatted the memory and reset the camera without
success.

Does Canon have an issue with their Powershot cameras that shows up roughly
one to two years later, which is, of course, beyond the warranty period?

So far, I was convinced that the Powershot is a neat, little camera. But if
this model just lasts for roughly two years, I would consider this type of
model rather expensive.

Gregor

Old December 28th 05, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"GTO" wrote in message
om...
I have a Canon Powershot A70. I used it for two years without problems. But
just since last week, my Canon Powershot A70 adds red horizontal lines to
all recorded images. I reformatted the memory and reset the camera without
success.

Does Canon have an issue with their Powershot cameras that shows up
roughly one to two years later, which is, of course, beyond the warranty
period?

So far, I was convinced that the Powershot is a neat, little camera. But
if this model just lasts for roughly two years, I would consider this type
of model rather expensive.

Gregor

That sounds like a sensor fault to me. Are the lines always in exactly the
same place?

Old December 28th 05, 07:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

The lines are better noticeable around highlights or areas that are slightly
overexposed. They are aligned horizontally and appear as alternating lines
of purple and pink color. It could suggest that the Bayer filter got
slightly misaligned with the CCD. Maybe an aging effect with the A70. In a
way, it looks like a color fringing effect.

Gregor

"Smudger" wrote in message

om...

Old December 28th 05, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"GTO" wrote in message
. com...
The lines are better noticeable around highlights or areas that are
slightly overexposed. They are aligned horizontally and appear as
alternating lines of purple and pink color. It could suggest that the
Bayer filter got slightly misaligned with the CCD. Maybe an aging effect
with the A70. In a way, it looks like a color fringing effect.

Gregor

"Smudger" wrote in message

"GTO" wrote in message
om...
I have a Canon Powershot A70. I used it for two years without problems.
But just since last week, my Canon Powershot A70 adds red horizontal
lines to all recorded images. I reformatted the memory and reset the
camera without success.

Does Canon have an issue with their Powershot cameras that shows up
roughly one to two years later, which is, of course, beyond the warranty
period?

So far, I was convinced that the Powershot is a neat, little camera. But
if this model just lasts for roughly two years, I would consider this
type of model rather expensive.

Gregor

That sounds like a sensor fault to me. Are the lines always in exactly
the same place?

That's different from what I thought. It doesn't sound right at all but I
can't help I'm afraid.

Old December 29th 05, 04:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Smudger wrote:
"GTO" wrote in message
. com...
The lines are better noticeable around highlights or areas that are
slightly overexposed. They are aligned horizontally and appear as
alternating lines of purple and pink color. It could suggest that the
Bayer filter got slightly misaligned with the CCD. Maybe an aging effect
with the A70. In a way, it looks like a color fringing effect.

Gregor

"Smudger" wrote in message
"GTO" wrote in message
om...
I have a Canon Powershot A70. I used it for two years without problems.
But just since last week, my Canon Powershot A70 adds red horizontal
lines to all recorded images. I reformatted the memory and reset the
camera without success.

Does Canon have an issue with their Powershot cameras that shows up
roughly one to two years later, which is, of course, beyond the warranty
period?

So far, I was convinced that the Powershot is a neat, little camera. But
if this model just lasts for roughly two years, I would consider this
type of model rather expensive.

Gregor

That sounds like a sensor fault to me. Are the lines always in exactly
the same place?

That's different from what I thought. It doesn't sound right at all but I
can't help I'm afraid.

Go to the Canon site. I believe there was a recall on some A series
camera CCDs. Not sure if yours is included.

Ron

--
And it really doesn't matter if
I'm wrong I'm right

Lennon & McCartney
Old December 29th 05, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Freedom55" "joinertake this out wrote:

Go to the Canon site. I believe there was a recall on some A series
camera CCDs. Not sure if yours is included.

Canon A70 uses a Sony CCD with known fault, and has been listed by Canon as
possibly faulty. The CCD problems mainly arises in high humidity.
These lines may also come from faulty capacitors.
I have experienced something similar once on my A70, and have heard of
several others.

--
Frode P. Bergsager