moving up to this format - advice welcome

Old October 18th 04, 07:05 PM
JC in Ireland

Default moving up to this format - advice welcome

Greetings list - I need some expert advice. I'm thinking of moving my
photography up a few notches, currently I use Mamiya TLR's and Canon
A1's, and mostly do non-pro nature, archaeology and landscape
photography, with some vintage racing cars when I get my freedom.

I'm thinking of buying a 5 x 4 (in.) rail system, capable of taking a
6 x 7 and/or 6 x 9 (cm) roll film back, in order to get to greater
negative area in horizontal landscape shots. My lab can do roll film
but nothing larger, hence this choice. I also obviously want to have
the shift/swing/rise capability for focal plane control.

I've searched a lot of the archive of this list to avoid asking a faq,
but there are not many beginners asking these questions.

How feasible is it to get into this LF style of photography the way I
am approaching it? Any reccommendations on brands of equipment? Any
opinions on reasonable ebay prices for a full ready-to-shoot rig? I
don't want to end up buying most of a system and then waiting years
for some crucial priceless widget made of weapons-grade unobtainium to
appear on ebay.

All answers gratefully received.

JC in Ireland
Old October 18th 04, 07:25 PM
Argon3

Consider finding one of the Horseman Medium format view cameras which are also
known as "technical" cameras. I have one and have found it to be perfect for
most applications...I also have 4X5 equipment but lately I seem to haul out the
Horseman when I need larger fromat film (6X7 and 6X9) and perspective
corrections.
Of course the benefit of having a 4X5 body is that you can shoot 6X7 and 6X9
(as well as 6X12) and still make use of the full 4X5 format if you feel that
you need it.
The Horseman is physically smaller than your usual 4X5 camera but is made of
metal and weighs a good bit...still, I've found it easier to schlep around.

best

argon

Old October 18th 04, 07:41 PM
Nick Zentena

JC in Ireland wrote:
Greetings list - I need some expert advice. I'm thinking of moving my
photography up a few notches, currently I use Mamiya TLR's and Canon
A1's, and mostly do non-pro nature, archaeology and landscape
photography, with some vintage racing cars when I get my freedom.

I'm thinking of buying a 5 x 4 (in.) rail system, capable of taking a
6 x 7 and/or 6 x 9 (cm) roll film back, in order to get to greater
negative area in horizontal landscape shots. My lab can do roll film
but nothing larger, hence this choice. I also obviously want to have
the shift/swing/rise capability for focal plane control.

How feasible is it to get into this LF style of photography the way I
am approaching it? Any reccommendations on brands of equipment? Any

Do you have any interest in wide lenses? The big issue with using rollfilm
on a 4x5 camera is wider lenses. You won't need anything fancy. Almost any
4x5 will have more then enough movements. But not all will handle lenses
that would wide on 6x7.

opinions on reasonable ebay prices for a full ready-to-shoot rig? I
don't want to end up buying most of a system and then waiting years
for some crucial priceless widget made of weapons-grade unobtainium to
appear on ebay.

If the camera itself is okay that's about it for the system usually. Any
lens can be mounted. You might want to look for a camera with a graflok back
instead of a spring back so you'll have more choices for rollfilm holders.

Nick

Old October 19th 04, 02:51 PM
Tom Phillips

JC in Ireland wrote:

[...]

Just a note on buying used equipment rather than what type
of equipment. Why ebay? LF is both a serious and expensive
endeavor -- especially the optics. Not saying you might not
find good buys there but there are also no guarantees and
no merchants of known reputable history.

If I buy used, I buy from known dealers, where I _know_ the
equipment has been inspected and rated (poor, fair, good,
excellent condition) and there is a return policy. I might
suggest Calumet photo (www.calumetphoto.com) is one such used
equipment dealer. Has both US, Britain, and continental Europe
outlets. I might also suggest (since your stated genre is
nature) a field camera rather than a rail system. You simply
don't need the full movements possible with rail cameras
for nature photography. YEs, you can userails in the field,
but they're most functional in the studio. In fact, you might
easily get by with a Pentax 6x7 unless you're dead set on
having view camera movements and controls.

Regarding a "ready" to shoot system: view camera w/bellows
and standards, rail clamp, tripod, the ability to mount on
the tripod (i.e., proper bushing thread/mounting screw for
rail clamp), lenses+copal shutters and lens boards, cable
release, 5x focusing loup, darkcloth, and light meter.
Plus filters of the proper thread mount for the lenses or
a filter holder (thread mounts are different for different
lenses so a filter holder makes sense.) I'm sure I've left
something out.

Old October 19th 04, 08:30 PM
Bandicoot

"JC in Ireland" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Any reason it has to be a 4x5 camera? Do you intend to shoot 4x5
sometimnes, or only use the roll-film backs? If the latter, you might do
better with a camera designed specifically for them - it'll be smaller,
lighter, and possibly handle wider lenses better than using a 4x5.

Also, any reason it has to be a monorail? A field or technical camera might
do better for your stated uses. I have both a 6x9 technical camera and a
6x9 monorail, and the technical camera sees much more use in the field, with
the monorail really being saved for the studio and some of the trickier
architectural things.

If you answer these two questions, I (certainly) and others (probably) will
be better placed to give you more help.

My outdoor work is mostly landscape, and I have also worked as an
archaeologist, so I hope I can offer some relevant thoughts.

Cheers,

Peter