did anyone try this: cheap point-n-shoot on the back of a large format beast?

Old August 4th 04, 01:22 AM
chibitul

Default did anyone try this: cheap point-n-shoot on the back of a large format beast?

Did anyone try to use a large format camera to get an image (with all
the advantages of large format cameras: tilt, shift, etc) and then use a
small digicam instead of film to snap the picture? I imagine if you make
some sort of fixture to attach the digicam to the back of the large
format camera, and focus on the glass plate, you should be able to snap
*that* image. I never used a large format camera and I do not intend to
venture into this field unless I can do it digitally. I am not into high
resolution stuff, I read some of Ansel Adams books and I am impressed
with what you can do with large format when you can tilt/shift the lens
and the negative as you want. Just wondering if I can "piggy-back" a
cheap point-n-shoot on the back of a large format beast?
Old August 4th 04, 03:15 AM
Leonard Evens

chibitul wrote:
Did anyone try to use a large format camera to get an image (with all
the advantages of large format cameras: tilt, shift, etc) and then use a
small digicam instead of film to snap the picture? I imagine if you make
some sort of fixture to attach the digicam to the back of the large
format camera, and focus on the glass plate, you should be able to snap
*that* image. I never used a large format camera and I do not intend to
venture into this field unless I can do it digitally. I am not into high
resolution stuff, I read some of Ansel Adams books and I am impressed
with what you can do with large format when you can tilt/shift the lens
and the negative as you want. Just wondering if I can "piggy-back" a
cheap point-n-shoot on the back of a large format beast?

If you mean to use the point and shoot camera to photograph the image on
the ground glass, it won't work. The image is much too dim to record
with such a camera. Also, you couldn't focus close enough unless the
camera had a macro mode, which most likely it wouldn't.

Old August 4th 04, 03:24 AM
Paul Atreides

In article
,
chibitul wrote:

Did anyone try to use a large format camera to get an image (with all
the advantages of large format cameras: tilt, shift, etc) and then use a
small digicam instead of film to snap the picture? I imagine if you make
some sort of fixture to attach the digicam to the back of the large
format camera, and focus on the glass plate, you should be able to snap
*that* image. I never used a large format camera and I do not intend to
venture into this field unless I can do it digitally. I am not into high
resolution stuff, I read some of Ansel Adams books and I am impressed
with what you can do with large format when you can tilt/shift the lens
and the negative as you want. Just wondering if I can "piggy-back" a
cheap point-n-shoot on the back of a large format beast?

Ah - Calumet sells a LF Digi cam adapter, its 3k,... welcome to LF work
hah hah.
--
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the
measure of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the

Old August 4th 04, 03:30 AM
chibitul

In article ,
Leonard Evens wrote:

chibitul wrote:
[...]

yes, that is what I mean. Most cameras have a macro mode, but you can
also put the camera about 0.5 meters away from the ground glass.

Ok, the image is dim, but this is large format camera here, not sports
or action. we're talking landscapes, biuldings, etc, right? what's wrong
with a slow shutter speed?

And do you really need the ground glass? what if you *remove* the ground
glass, the image will act as an object for the digicam. it should work.