Tricky shot of an old church

Old November 17th 05, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default Tricky shot of an old church

Lorem Ipsum wrote:
"Alan Meyer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Lorem Ipsum wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a wonderful old church in town, but it is situated in a spot
that make getting a good photo hard.

Learn how to use a view camera.

Well Lorem, we'll have to bring you up-to-date.

Now that we have digital images, we don't need the moving
lens boards of view cameras. We can run processing algorithms
on the digital image that do the same thing that the slide and
tilt of the lens board did on the old view cameras.

You are unfortunately misinformed. You cannot replicate the complete
functions of a view camera with postprocessing.

Focus is the only one you can not, for some this will be an issue for
others it will not.

BTW did you think my focus was soft somewhere? I thought the focus was
pretty good.

Scott

Old November 17th 05, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

Focus is the only one you can not,

As if that were not enough. But there are more things a view camera can do
that digital postprocessing cannot.

Old November 17th 05, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Scott W wrote:

For portrait work I can see where that could be an issue but not so
much for landscape and architectural work.

Quite the opposite.
In portrait working, playing around with the plane of focus does not do much
good.
In the other two fields, however, it is used (well used) a lot. There is
only so much DOF, so being able to repositioning it lets you do a lot of
good.

Old November 17th 05, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

John A. Stovall wrote:
Why then do so many photographers who make a living with

architectural
photography buy and use tilt and shift lenses and view cameras even
for digital work?

In large part you use what you know. Past that you need to start with
a very high resolution image if it is not going to suffer from the
perspective adjustments.

In some ways using a tilt and shift lens is easier, in other way not so
easy.

With a tilt shift lens you can see what you are going to get right from
the get go, doing it in software requires being able to visualize the
shot without seeing it in a view finder.

But tilt shifts have real limits, you shift them much and they get
soft. ALso my shot is about 80 horizontal FOV, Canon's shortest TS
lens is 24mm, which even for a FF camera would not give me the field of
view I wanted.

Scott

Old November 17th 05, 09:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Lorem Ipsum wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

Focus is the only one you can not,

As if that were not enough. But there are more things a view camera can do
that digital postprocessing cannot.

Other then focus? I would rather doubt it as after focus it is just a
mater of moving pixels, and we know how to do that.

But still I thought my focus was pretty good, where do you see it as
being soft?

Scott

Old November 17th 05, 09:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

If you are using digital there are programs, via Canon software, which allow
you to stitch a series of photos together to make one large photo from
several other pictures. You might consider this possibility which should
also help that perspective problem.

On 11/15/05 8:01 PM, in article
, "Scott W"
wrote:

We have a wonderful old church in town, but it is situated in a spot
that make getting a good photo hard.
Today I got one that I am pretty happy with.

This is the view of the church from across the street, as you can see
there are power lines everywhere and very little room in the
churchyard.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/27837752/large

A very wide angle shot is needed with perspective correction, this is
what I got today.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/52319986/original
The black rectangle is a crop area the 100% view of it is here.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/52319988/original

This is a 75 MP image with lots of detail, something I was going after.

To view the whole image you can go here, this uses Zoomify, which lets
you pan and zoom
http://www.sewcon.com/church/

Scott

Old November 17th 05, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Q.G. de Bakker wrote:
Scott W wrote:

For portrait work I can see where that could be an issue but not so
much for landscape and architectural work.

Quite the opposite.
In portrait working, playing around with the plane of focus does not do much
good.
In the other two fields, however, it is used (well used) a lot. There is
only so much DOF, so being able to repositioning it lets you do a lot of
good.

If I printed my image at 300 ppi it would be a print 33.5 x 25 inches.
At that size the name Buick on the left car's license plate would be
on the order of 1/40 of an inch high, and yet there is plenty of detail
to read it. I don't believe my photo has a problem with sharpness.
In fact there is plenty of sharpness all the way to the bottom of the
photo.

I am not saying that tilting is not useful at times, but often it is
not needed and sometimes when it would be needed it is of limited use
because you have a foreground object that you want in focus with
background right behind that you also want to have in focus. As an
example I really did want those cars there, but if they are going to be
their I want them in focus, but there is background right behind the
one.

Scott

Old November 17th 05, 10:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Q.G. de Bakker wrote:
Scott W wrote:

We have a wonderful old church in town, but it is situated in a spot
that make getting a good photo hard.
Today I got one that I am pretty happy with. [...]

What medium format or large format camera did you use?

Well I used a large image area, isn't that what counts?

Scott

Old November 17th 05, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

In rec.photo.equipment.large-format Scott W wrote:
Q.G. de Bakker wrote:
Scott W wrote:

We have a wonderful old church in town, but it is situated in a spot
that make getting a good photo hard.
Today I got one that I am pretty happy with. [...]

What medium format or large format camera did you use?

Well I used a large image area, isn't that what counts?

Depends are you a troll?

Nick

--
"Digital the new ice fishing"