What film for landscape and why?

Old October 29th 05, 03:17 AM
Larry Heath

Default What film for landscape and why?

"Giordy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I have been researching the available film types on 4x5 for quickload
and readyload holders. I am a beginner so I don't know a lot about film
types, but I understand that most landscape photographers prefer Fuji
Velvia 50 or 100.

What is your favorite film for landscapes, and why?

Thanks
Giordano

As an aside to the above question, would anyone like to make comments, or
suggest some do's and don'ts on using Polaroid type 55 film and scanning the
negatives for landscape work? Any thoughts or comments on this general
process would be welcomed.

I have been run out of my darkroom since Charley came through last year and
have gone traditional capture using the Type 55 and digital output (16x20)
on a Epson 4000. I would like to go back to doing wet chemistry development
for B&W film, just don't have the available space right now or in the near
future it seems.

Thanks
Larry

Old October 29th 05, 12:05 PM
Cheesehead

Default What film for landscape and why? - Acros

I got mine @ Midwest last year. Abdi got in a batch from Japan.
I'll ask him to seek more. (Since my APX is almost exhausted
and I really don't like TMax 100, this is my best shot.)

Collin

Old October 30th 05, 01:06 AM
Cheesehead

That's why I drop in regularly.
Calling them is always beneficial.
Jim & Abdi are good to work with.
I talked to Abdi today about getting in some Acros 4x5.

Collin

Old November 15th 05, 05:02 PM

O Mighty Cheesehead, what about other sources than Mideast Photon
Exchequer? Do you know about these guys?:

http://www.unicircuits.com/shop/inde...102c19c11cf87d

See you in the parking lot on 5th!

Old November 15th 05, 08:57 PM
Lorem Ipsum

wrote in message
oups.com...
O Mighty Cheesehead, what about other sources than Mideast Photon
Exchequer? Do you know about these guys?:

http://www.unicircuits.com/shop/inde...102c19c11cf87d

They think B&W is Neo-crap. It ain't. Bummer.

Old November 16th 05, 02:42 AM
Cheesehead

ya, ya, ya.
You gonna show of you big lens for postagae stamp negs again?
Get a 4x5 and shoot real pictures! :0

Didn't someone *important* say "resolution is a bourgeois concept"?

Behold the power of Cheeseheads

Old November 16th 05, 03:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Cheesehead wrote:
ya, ya, ya.
You gonna show of you big lens for postagae stamp negs again?
Get a 4x5 and shoot real pictures! :0

Didn't someone *important* say "resolution is a bourgeois concept"?

Behold the power of Cheeseheads

So, you need a negative the size of Vermont to get a good print? Those
of us who know how to develop film properly can get great prints from
small negatives. It's all in the fingers....

And, please explain how you can get great sports photos with your view
camera..or extreme close-ups of inaccessible areas...

Yes, what is the equivalent of 560mm for 35mm on a 4x5 or 8x10 system?

If a 180 is normal, multiply that by 11

You need a 2000mm lens!

And while you're still changing holders, I have taken 5 or more shots,
advancing my film with a stroke of my thumb...(I don't like motor
drives).

You know what we do with cheese? We make pizza!

Old November 16th 05, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Cheesehead" wrote in message
oups.com...
ya, ya, ya.
You gonna show of you big lens for postagae stamp negs again?
Get a 4x5 and shoot real pictures! :0

I shoot 4x5, then print to 2x2.5

Old November 16th 05, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

wrote in message
ups.com...

And, please explain how you can get great sports photos with your view
camera..or extreme close-ups of inaccessible areas...

No problem. For sports, I'll use the Super-Technika and 360mm lens.

And while you're still changing holders, I have taken 5 or more shots,
advancing my film with a stroke of my thumb

A Real Photographer doesn't need to take but a couple shots.