Nikon is quitting LF lenses

Old January 18th 06, 12:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default Nikon is quitting LF lenses

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 10:09:41 -0500, Lloyd Erlick Lloyd at @the-wire.
dot com wrote:

January 16, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

This is the issue that is important to me.
But some people say the opposite.

I'd like to be able to read from my screen as
easily as I can from paper. I also tend to
sit too close (my eyes are very sharp at
close range, with no glasses). I prefer to
read with no glasses.

Will my fussy needs be satisfied better by
LCD by the time they are cheap?

This is something you're going to have to determine on your own. I
usually sit about 40 ~ 50 cm from the screen and I still prefer CRT's
for their smaller dot pitch. Also I prefer resolutions around 1152X864
or 1280X1024. Many LCD's have much higher optimal resolutions. Using
anything but the optimal setting usually results in even worse image
quality.

John
Old January 18th 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:59:52 -0500, Lloyd Erlick Lloyd at @the-wire.
dot com wrote:

January 16, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

I've always been confused by the ability of
the right to present itself as fiscally
responsible.

People will believe almost anything. Especially if it is dressed up
with psuedo-patriotic dogma. Here in the US we've had Ronny, Dubya &
Dubya pounding the ol' war drums at every opportunity. After 18 years
of Republican dominion, the paranoia that was supposed to have ended
with the Cold War is back and more insidious than ever.

Right wing administrations have
consistently set new records in deficit
spending, not only in USA but Canada
(Mulroney Conservative administration before
1995), and in the UK, the Thatcher government
(might be wrong on this one).

Buying office by greasing the businesses that support them of course.

Then the Democrats or whatever they're
calling themselves have to come around and
pick up the pieces, and after they've spent a
decade or more balancing the books, they get
portrayed in the media (owned by right wing
interests hmm??) as corrupt or inept or some
such and booted out, so the public can go
from the skillet to the fire, again.

I think you're quite right about the media. A strange dichotomy of
conservative owners and liberal writers.

Why do people keep falling for it? Too
dumbed-down to think? Too uneducated?

Certainly here in America. This is another strange dichotomy in that
America has about 90% of the best coleges in the world and yet our
public education system for grades k~12 is a complete shambles.

(Canada
keeps flirting with the secession of about a
third of the country - Quebec. Talk about
rolling the dice at election time.)

One thing I can say from my experience with numerous Candians is that
they are far more polite, reasonable and probably better education
than than the majority of Americans.

John
Old January 18th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 22:02:04 GMT, no_name
wrote:

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

o Republicans in turn are afraid of appearing
cold hearted and so pass large increases
in social programs

Specifics?

I'm not sure about how social their pork-barrel spending is but here's
a couple of links you might find enlightening.

http://www.heritage.org/Press/Commentary/ed050202b.cfm

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/edi...n_pork_barrel/

John McCain is also quoted stating if "'the combination of war, record
deficits, and the largest public debt in the country's history" can't
break lawmakers' addiction to spending, he asked, what can? ''It would
seem that this Congress can weather any storm thrown at it, as long as
we have our pork life-saver to cling to."

http://www.freedomworks.org/informed...p?issue_id=925

In 2001 the Republican controlled "Congress added an all-time high of
7,803 pork-barrel earmarks worth about $15 billion to the 13
appropriations bills. Included among these nearly 8,000 earmarks were
projects such as:

Therapeutic Horseback Riding in Apple Valley, California ($150,000);
The recovery of Preble's Meadow Jumping Mouse ($500,000); and
$100,000 for the Alabama Quail Trail
A tattoo removal program in San Luis Obispo County, California
($50,000)"

Note that all of these monies are federal subsidies from taxes
collected nationally. Why the citizens of Florida would have to pay
"$223 million for a mile-long bridge linking an island with 50
residents to the town of Ketchikan (Alaska) on the mainland." is
beyond me.

John
Old January 18th 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:40:49 -0500, Lloyd Erlick Lloyd at @the-wire.
dot com wrote:

I think Nicholas really has it when he points
out the problem is that some people desire
the position of politician, and they are
willing to lie to get there, and even more
willing to lie and cheat to stay there. I
think this transcends anything else about
politics or public policy.

IMO the sad thing about most politicians is that they believe their
own lies.

john
Old January 18th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

In article ,
John wrote:

IMO the sad thing about most politicians is that they believe their
own lies.

They are being paid to. In the early days people would have
banded together pulled some of these sorry asses out of their dwellings
late at night, tarred and feathered them and run them out of town on a
rail. Or worse.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com
Old January 19th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

dot com wrote:

I think Nicholas really has it when he points
out the problem is that some people desire
the position of politician, and they are
willing to lie to get there, and even more
willing to lie and cheat to stay there. I
think this transcends anything else about
politics or public policy.

IMO the sad thing about most politicians is that they believe their
own lies.

john

It's not just sad, it's dangerous. Remember the neo-cons expected
grateful Iraqis to strew flowers in the path of American "liberators".

Of course the other problem there was their definition of liberation;
one Lenin would have been immediately comfortable with.