Optimum Aperture for 150mm G-Claron?????

Old February 20th 04, 10:49 PM
Dan Fromm

Default Optimum Aperture for 150mm G-Claron?????

"Reciprocity Failure" wrote in message t.com...
Tom said:

my 210 G-Claron gives me some movements but has a definite limit on 4x5.

That's very strange. I used a 210 G Claron on 8x10 and had ample room for
movements (ample by my standards at least, possibly limited by others' but
definitely room for some movements) when stopped down to about f22 or
smaller. I used it with 8x10 mostly for exterior architecture and don't
recall having any problem with any movement limits.

"Tom Monego" wrote in message
says...

:
(Tom Monego)

The 4 element Apos G-Claron, Apo Ronar, Apo Artar

The G-Claron is a 6 element lens. Stopped down to f45 a 150 will cover

5x7 at
infinity and beyond.
Chuck

Always thought the G-Claron was an Artar formula, one of the more elegant
designs for older lenses. 5x7 at f45 at 1:1 possible not infinity though,

my
210 G-Claron gives me some movements but has a definite limit on 4x5. This

is a
repro camera lens, thew one I have is off an old stat camera never used

for
anything but kodaliths, a very nice lens. I'll check the Schneider web

site
though I could be wrong about the formula.

Tom

Per Schneider's literature, with which my 55/8 agrees, the
Repro-Claron is a 4 elements in 4 groups dialyte similar to the Artar.
It covers a fairly narrow angle at infinity. Perhaps Tom was
thinking of a Repro-Claron.

The G-Claron is a 6/4 plasmat type with much wider coverage.

Cheers,

Dan
Old February 21st 04, 12:43 PM
Reciprocity Failure

The specs of the G Claron lenses don't reflect their covereage because the
design of the lens is such that the coverage continues to increase as the
aperture is stopped down. There's a more detailed and technical discussion
of this aspect of the G Claron design on the Wisner web site in the Q and A
part. But the end result is that the G Clarons have much greater coverage
than their published specs indicate, not because Schneider is conservative
with its coverage numbers (though it might be, I don't know) but because of
the design of the lens. The 210 G Claron, the specs of which would indicate
that it can't be used at all on 8x10, actually can not only be used but used
with a good bit of room for movements when stopped down.

"John" wrote in message
On 19 Feb 2004 11:47:37 GMT, (JCPERE) wrote:

:
(Tom Monego)

The 4 element Apos G-Claron, Apo Ronar, Apo Artar

The G-Claron is a 6 element lens. Stopped down to f45 a 150 will cover

5x7 at
infinity and beyond.
Chuck

I'm surprised since it is reported to have only 192mm @ f22.

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer -
http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email

Old February 21st 04, 02:22 PM
Tom Monego

Per Schneider's literature, with which my 55/8 agrees, the
Repro-Claron is a 4 elements in 4 groups dialyte similar to the Artar.
It covers a fairly narrow angle at infinity. Perhaps Tom was
thinking of a Repro-Claron.

The G-Claron is a 6/4 plasmat type with much wider coverage.

Cheers,

Dan

Read the same thing, I was confusing a Repro Claron with G-Claron, but
Schneider is saying the 210 G-Claron has a 260mm coverage at f22 hardly 8x10
material, does the circle of coverage extend that much at smaller apertures?

Tom

Old February 21st 04, 05:58 PM

I own the 210 mm G-Claron and use it on an 8x10 with some movements. It is
a plasmat lens not an artar style. I don't know about the 150mm but I am
sure Chuck knows what he is talking about as I have seen a lot of his images
and they are excellent.

lee\c
.com...