EWA Marine flexible housings - any experience with them?

Old August 17th 04, 01:19 AM
Brian C. Baird

Default EWA Marine flexible housings - any experience with them?

I'm looking for something that would allow me to take my 10D canoeing
and possibly 10 feet underwater at a time. The EWA Marine housings cut
the mustard on paper, but I'd like to get some opinions from actual
users before I drop $275 on one.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
Old August 17th 04, 03:14 AM
Phil Stripling

Brian C. Baird writes:

I'm looking for something that would allow me to take my 10D canoeing
and possibly 10 feet underwater at a time. The EWA Marine housings cut
the mustard on paper, but I'd like to get some opinions from actual
users before I drop $275 on one.

Are they that much? I have one for a Nikon CoolPix 990, and I guess that's
smaller and lower in price?

I'm not happy with it, but it's all I'm willing to spend for an underwater
housing to snorkle on one vacation a year. I also use it at Burning Man to
protect the CoolPix from the dust.

Here are the problems. First, for the CoolPix only, I presume: The glass
port has a metal ring that binds it to the plastic bag. That ring covers
the optical viewfinder, meaning I can't use it.

Second, the plastic bag reflects light like crazy, meaning that when I use
the LCD as the viewfinder, which I must do -- see above, I have glare from
whatever is behind me, making the LCD unuseable but for dimly seen
silhouettes. On the playa, I hold the plastic against my face to shade it,
I can't focus that close on the LCD, so it's shooting by guess. Underwater,
I hold the Ewa away from me, but it's still shooting by silhouettes if the
sun is behind and above (generally the case, right?).

I use it, but I'm not happy. It works. It's the only thing in my price
range.

Old August 17th 04, 04:31 AM
Surfworx Photography

I have one I'm in the process of putting on Ebay. Cost me $350AUD, willing
to sell for $200AUD - Hardly if ever used. Fits the Pentax MZ-50 and Fuji
S2, so I assume it will be good for the 10D - depending on the size of your
lens.

Derrick

.. .

Old August 17th 04, 09:46 PM
Dave

"Brian C. Baird" wrote in message
.. .
I'm looking for something that would allow me to take my 10D canoeing
and possibly 10 feet underwater at a time. The EWA Marine housings cut
the mustard on paper, but I'd like to get some opinions from actual
users before I drop $275 on one.

I rented a U-AXP housing to use with my DSLR. I had overestimated the size
of the camera and thus had a housing that was too big for the task. Since
the water resistance in the main comes from the air pressure inside the
housing, which you have to blow up once the camera is installed, it is
actually very difficult to keep the camera and housing under water for
snorkelling to depths of 15-20 feet (even after adding weights to the bottom
of the housing). In addition, since you need to use the viewfinder with a
DSLR, accurate framing whilst wearing a mask is tricky .
Assuming you get housing of the appropriate size for your camera, it will
provide excellent protection (possibly overkill) for canoeing.