Almay

Old September 16th 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson

Default Alamy

Paul Furman wrote:

I tried searching it for an obscure latin name for a particular native
California plant and was surprised to see several matches. Pretty nice
shots though mine are better :-) There were a few different
photographers in the match too so I'm pretty impressed that I was able
to find a selection of matches for such a narrow subject.

That's actually part of the biggest problem Alamy has; too many images
by too many photographers. And according to picture editors, not
enough quality either, which is why they have introduced AlamyRank:

http://www.epuk.org/News/414/alamy-u...-search-engine
or
http://tinyurl.com/yk9bs3

Old September 16th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson

Tony Polson wrote:

JimKramer wrote:

On Sep 15, 6:49 pm, Paul Furman wrote:
JimKramer wrote:
Anyone here using Almay?

Any experiences to share good or bad?

I'm especially interested in people's experiences outside of the UK.

I assume you aren't talking about the moissturizing creme.
:-)http://www.alamy.com

Yes, I'm an idiot, but now someone should read this. :-)

Oh wait, you know you smear it on your lens for that creamy bokeh that
eveyone just loves. Yeah that's it.

Cold cream (for example Ponds brand) is very good at removing fungus
from lens elements, and it also has the benefit of killing the fungus.

(seriously!)

http://www.pondssquad.com/cold_cream.asp
Old September 16th 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

On Sep 15, 7:33 pm, Tony Polson wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
I tried searching it for an obscure latin name for a particular native
California plant and was surprised to see several matches. Pretty nice
shots though mine are better :-) There were a few different
photographers in the match too so I'm pretty impressed that I was able
to find a selection of matches for such a narrow subject.

That's actually part of the biggest problem Alamy has; too many images
by too many photographers. And according to picture editors, not
enough quality either, which is why they have introduced AlamyRank:

http://www.epuk.org/News/414/alamy-u...-search-engine
orhttp://tinyurl.com/yk9bs3

Thanks for the link.

I did a several "technical" searches and some rather bland word
searches. There was a great deal of frass and a few technically
competent images. There were a number of Corbis images that came up,
that surprised me.

I find the whole upsize it to such and such size to be a bit
ridiculous. It's got to be so big before we will take it.

I need an additional revenue stream and I'm wondering if this will fit
the bill.

Old September 16th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Tony Polson wrote:

JimKramer wrote:

Anyone here using Almay?

Any experiences to share good or bad?

I'm especially interested in people's experiences outside of the UK.

I assume you aren't talking about the moissturizing creme.
:-)http://www.alamy.com

Yes, I'm an idiot, but now someone should read this. :-)

Oh wait, you know you smear it on your lens for that creamy bokeh that
eveyone just loves. Yeah that's it.

Cold cream (for example Ponds brand) is very good at removing fungus

from lens elements, and it also has the benefit of killing the fungus.

(seriously!)

It's about the only thing short of gasoline that'll remove pine sap too.
Old September 16th 07, 01:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson

Paul Furman wrote:
Tony Polson wrote:

Cold cream (for example Ponds brand) is very good at removing fungus

from lens elements, and it also has the benefit of killing the fungus.

(seriously!)

It's about the only thing short of gasoline that'll remove pine sap too.

If it will remove women's make-up, it will probably remove anything!

Old September 16th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson

JimKramer wrote:

Thanks for the link.

You're welcome.

I did a several "technical" searches and some rather bland word
searches. There was a great deal of frass and a few technically
competent images. There were a number of Corbis images that came up,
that surprised me.

I find the whole upsize it to such and such size to be a bit
ridiculous. It's got to be so big before we will take it.

I need an additional revenue stream and I'm wondering if this will fit
the bill.

Only you can judge that, but I repeat my warning that it is very much
more difficult to start out with Alamy than it used to be.

Once you are established, the AlamyRank system works reasonably well.
But the difficulty is getting to that point from starting out.