Picasa - opening another editor?

Old July 6th 07, 10:27 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

Default Picasa - opening another editor?

I've posted this query in the Google Groups Picasa forum, but maybe
there are some Picasa users here who can offer some insight please?

I've turned to Picasa recently for my basic editing, mainly because
PaintShop Pro 8 destroys my valuable EXIF data if I let it near a
photo. But IMO Picasa 2 also does a great job for the basics
(including the easiest to use 'straightener' I've ever come across.)

But I'd still like to get quickly to PSP8 when I want. However, in
Picasa 2, with a photo enlarged for viewing/editing, if I right-click
and select 'Open With...' I get a list of these 5 programs:

Paint Shop Pro 8
IrfanView
MemoriesOnTV
Firefox
TextPad

Q1: Where does this arbitrary list come from? I see no mention of it
in Options, nor the online Help. It differs significantly from the
list I see when using 'Open With' on a JPG in a Windows folder, where
I get the 8 relevant programs I have configured, and neither of the
inappropriate entries MemoriesOnTV and TextPad (my text editor!) are
included.

Q2: More important, when I choose PSP8, the program opens, but with no
file opened. (IrfanView and Firefox open the file; TextPad and
MemoriesOnTV both behave like PSP8, but of course they couldn't
sensibly open a JPG anyway!)

Q3: Anyone able to suggest how I might get Open With PSP8 to work
please? (I don't want to use the alternative of Open File, which opens
the default Windows JPG-associated program, because I want my default
to be IrfanView, for quick viewing, not PSP8.)

Any advice would be much appreciated please.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Old July 6th 07, 03:04 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
davek57

I have a similar issue with Picasa not "finding" Photoshop when I
right-click. I haven't found a user settling to adjust this. I hope
you get an answer I can use, too.

-DK

Old July 6th 07, 05:58 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
José Ribeiro

Terry Pinnell wrote:
[...]

This might help

http://picasa.google.com/support/bin...y?answer=11510

Old July 7th 07, 01:40 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Franklin

On 06 Jul 2007, Terry Pinnell wrote:

[...]

Q1)
This page explains how to set OPEN WITH and how to change it.
http://www.informit.com/articles/art...&seqNum=6&rl=1

Q2 and Q3)
Sounds like you may have lost a parameter in your registry where PSP8
is being referenced. This paramater contains the file name and is
usually of the form, "%1" (the double quotation marks are needed).
Old July 7th 07, 10:54 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

José Ribeiro wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:
[...]

Thanks, but that covers only 'Open File', not 'Open With'.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Old July 7th 07, 11:00 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

Franklin wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I'll study that more carefully. However, it appear to be about
associations in general. As mentioned, my 'Windows associations'
(which I know how to customise, and in fact use a handy f/w program
called OpenExpert to make it easy) are quite different to those shown
by this Picasa facility.

Q3: Anyone able to suggest how I might get Open With PSP8 to work
please? (I don't want to use the alternative of Open File, which
opens the default Windows JPG-associated program, because I want my
default to be IrfanView, for quick viewing, not PSP8.)

Any advice would be much appreciated please.

Q1)
This page explains how to set OPEN WITH and how to change it.
http://www.informit.com/articles/art...&seqNum=6&rl=1

Q2 and Q3)
Sounds like you may have lost a parameter in your registry where PSP8
is being referenced. This paramater contains the file name and is
usually of the form, "%1" (the double quotation marks are needed).

I'll investigate that, thank you.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK