Picasa query

Old July 4th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

Default Picasa query

Any Picasa users around please?

I've just returned to using Picasa 2, and have a bit of re-learning to
do, so maybe this question has a very obvious answer...

I edit a file and use Ctrl+s to save it. But as soon as the save is
complete, the image displayed by Picasa reverts back to before the
edit. Why?

I might want to make some more changes, but how can I do that properly
if the image keeps going back to how it looked at the outset?

I checked by opening the saved file itself in IrfanView, and confirmed
that the edit (e.g. sharpening) was correctly saved. So why this odd
behaviour in Picasa itself please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Old July 5th 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jan Nademlejnsky

You do not have to save pictures individually. Just edit all your pictures
then go back to the original picture library. There, on top of the screen is
button saying something like "Save 25 images". Click that button and all
your changes are saved to the original pictures. It creates also folder in
the same library called "Originals" with copy of the original pictures
before they were edited. I always delete this folder (Originals), because I
do not care how it looked originally, but I want perfect and refined images
to keep.

Jan

Old July 6th 07, 09:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Terry Pinnell wrote:
Any Picasa users around please?

I've just returned to using Picasa 2, and have a bit of re-learning to
do, so maybe this question has a very obvious answer...

I edit a file and use Ctrl+s to save it. But as soon as the save is
complete, the image displayed by Picasa reverts back to before the
edit. Why?

I might want to make some more changes, but how can I do that properly
if the image keeps going back to how it looked at the outset?

I checked by opening the saved file itself in IrfanView, and confirmed
that the edit (e.g. sharpening) was correctly saved. So why this odd
behaviour in Picasa itself please?

I note you haven't had any replies. That may be because Picasa users
like me are simply baffled. Mine doesn't behave like that, and I have
no idea how I could make it behave like that. So my guess would be
that either you have set some option which causes this behaviour, or
there's some keystroke option set elsewhere in your system which is
causing Picasa to be given an unconventional signal.

Do you get the same behaviour if instead of using CTRL+S you use the
drop-down menu to do your saving?

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old July 6th 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

Chris Malcolm wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:
[...]

Thanks Chris, appreciate the reply.

I tested this again methodically last night and it appears that the
behaviour is confined to the Sharpen tool. That's what I'd been doing
as the last step of my simple editing. IOW, as soon as I'd done the
Save, the image reverted to its pre-sharpened state. No big deal
therefore, but I'm curious to know if that happens with you? And about
the reason, although I suspect it will be something technically
obscure ;-)

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Old July 7th 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Terry Pinnell wrote:
Chris Malcolm wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:
[...]

Aha, the Picasa sharpen problem!

From what I've read about the problems with Picasa's new sharpen tool
my guess is that it currently suffers from a serious design bug
deriving from someone's decision to make it resolution specific, with
the currently unfortunate consequence that changing display resolution
cancels it. Picasa know about the problem and will fix it one day...

That's why I don't sharpen in Picasa, I simply use CTRL-SHIFT-O to
open the Picasa-saved file in Irfanview (which Picasa picked up
automatically as my "image editor of choice") and I do any final
resizing and sharpening in Irfanview. I use the two in combination,
Picasa for image management, tilting, cropping, and exposure fixing,
and Irfanview for the rest. Irfanview starts up and displays an image
so fast it's almost like using a single program.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old July 7th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

Chris Malcolm wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:
Chris Malcolm wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:
[...]

From what I've read about the problems with Picasa's new sharpen tool
my guess is that it currently suffers from a serious design bug
deriving from someone's decision to make it resolution specific, with
the currently unfortunate consequence that changing display resolution
cancels it. Picasa know about the problem and will fix it one day...

That's why I don't sharpen in Picasa, I simply use CTRL-SHIFT-O to
open the Picasa-saved file in Irfanview (which Picasa picked up
automatically as my "image editor of choice") and I do any final
resizing and sharpening in Irfanview. I use the two in combination,
Picasa for image management, tilting, cropping, and exposure fixing,
and Irfanview for the rest. Irfanview starts up and displays an image
so fast it's almost like using a single program.

Thanks for the follow-up. That looks like the underlying issue then.
Although note that the image itself *is* being sharpened. It's just
the display that reverts. (So you could easily end up sharpening it
again!)

Re opening another editor, any thoughts on the query I raised about
that in my other post please? Although I'm a great IrfanView fan (it's
my default viewer), I've never really been impressed with its
sharpening, and prefer PSP8's Unsharp Mask.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Picasa,Google Picasa,Picasa download,Google Picasa download idownweb.com Digital Photography 2 November 29th 06 06:45 PM
Query ??? David Digital Photography 2 November 2nd 05 01:43 AM
Newbie's Query Satoshi Digital Photography 40 January 1st 05 03:09 AM
Newbie's Query Satoshi Digital Photography 0 December 30th 04 07:13 PM
query about picasa MB_ Digital Photography 8 October 30th 04 05:03 PM