Weird order of retrieval from Finepix S5000

Old August 2nd 04, 11:38 PM
Trentus

Default Weird order of retrieval from Finepix S5000

On a recent 3 week trip into the Australian Outback, where I took something
close to 1GIG of photos (897images).
I was transferring from a 256meg XD card, onto a friend's laptop.
We had not installed the Fuji Software onto his computer because the Fuji
registers on Windows computers as a removeable harddrive and so can simply
copy the images over.
But something rather odd happened on a couple of occassions, but not on all
of them.

The photos I took that night, were interspersed amongst the ones I took much
earlier in the day. I'd get one or two shots from the day, then one night
one, then a couple of day ones, and then a few night ones, etc. The order
was completely jumbled despite being filtered by the time the shot was
taken.
The S5000 is just approaching one year old, and had literally just come in
the door from the supplier the day I bought it from the shop. So any
internal battery should be ok if it's only one of the button cell type. I
never leave the NiMh batteries out of it except for the one hour or so they
take to charge, so if it has a button cell or the like inside it somewhere
it shouldn't be flat, but obviously the time keeps going back and forth on
the camera somehow.
Any ideas, suggestions, similar experiences?

Thanks
Trentus

Old August 3rd 04, 12:34 AM
Malcolm

"Trentus" wrote in message

Any ideas, suggestions, similar experiences?

Different camera here, but same results. Windows Explorer (I assume that's
how you are transferring) will do that. I generally click on the first
(earliest) photo on the camera then hold down the Shift key and click on the
last (latest) photo on the camera to select them all. Next, I click
somewhere in the middle of the selection and drag the pictures to the target
folder on the computer. What I've generally noticed is that Windows will
copy the photo that you click in the last step over first, followed
generally by the remainder of the photos below it, then seemingly random
pictures from the remainder of the batch.

If you are looking at the target folder after the transfer and they appear
to be in this random order, hit F5 to refresh the folder's view and I'll bet
they jump into the correct order.

--
Malcolm

Old August 3rd 04, 02:06 AM
Luke Webber

Malcolm wrote:

Different camera here, but same results. Windows Explorer (I assume that's
how you are transferring) will do that. I generally click on the first
(earliest) photo on the camera then hold down the Shift key and click on the
last (latest) photo on the camera to select them all. Next, I click
somewhere in the middle of the selection and drag the pictures to the target
folder on the computer. What I've generally noticed is that Windows will
copy the photo that you click in the last step over first, followed
generally by the remainder of the photos below it, then seemingly random
pictures from the remainder of the batch.

If you are looking at the target folder after the transfer and they appear
to be in this random order, hit F5 to refresh the folder's view and I'll bet
they jump into the correct order.

Of course, the "correct order" is defined by the view settings for the
folder. Click on View and roll your mouse over "Arrange icons by..." to
check how it's sorting for that folder.

Cheers,
Luke

Old August 3rd 04, 02:18 AM
pjp

I suspect that's more a function of how the file information is stored in
the directory/folder's "header" on the hard disk plus Explorer itself adding
a little "logic" of it's own to the task. When programming, you'll often
notice that the Find First/Find Next API calls seem to "provide" the
filenames in the linear order directory/folder entries are "used up". In the
old days of DOS there where utilities around to actually physically sort the
directory entries themselves so files would be presented in some logical
sequence, e.g. DS (Directory Sort) was an early Nortons Utility. When all's
said and done, it's nothing to normally worry about.

Old August 3rd 04, 12:44 PM
ERich10983

I had this "problem" with all my cameras and card readers using Explorer. I
solved it by selecting all images, clicking on the first image and dragging it
over to the folder. Then, they will go over in sequence.

It really isn't a problem, since I can then sort if needed using PaintShop Pro.

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH