What's Up with all the Flower Pics?

Old June 10th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Joan

Default What's Up with all the Flower Pics?

Pattersons has nice flowers too.

--
Joan

"mmnospam" mmnospam@thanks wrote in message
:
: Lantana has beautiful little flowers. Shame it's such a pest of a
plant.
:
:

Old June 10th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Allen

mmnospam wrote:
"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
Robert Coe wrote:
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 04:07:15 -0500, Ron Hunter
wrote:
: Allen wrote:
: Annika1980 wrote:
: Seems like a lot of flower pics are showing up here lately.
: So here's one I took yesterday:
: http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/80100809
:
: Nothing unusual about that one, right?
: Here it is again, this time with something else in the pic:
: http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/80100814
:
: : Nice! I thought it was a lazy daisy until I looked at the second
view : and saw that it isn't even 9 mm in diameter. I suppose that it
is some : variety of aster that grows in the Appalachians.
: : Apparently some parts of the US are in drought conditions, but
central : Texas has had an overabundance of rainfall; in early June we
are rapidly : approaching our average annual total. The wildflowers are
like I have : never seen them. Some that usually have a blooming season
of three weeks : or so have been in bloom for over two months; some
that usually bloom in : July started in early May. The countryside has
been fantastic.
: Allen
: Same in North Texas, around Amarillo. Beautiful wildflowers almost :
choking out the weeds.

What exactly is the difference between a wildflower and a weed? ;^)

A weed doesn't have pretty flowers. Grin.

Lantana has beautiful little flowers. Shame it's such a pest of a plant.

Lantana isn't a pest where I live. My neighborhood in Austin TX has a
large white-tail deer population, to the extent that each year we have
several fawns born in our back yard. Lantana is one plant that our deer
won't eat, along with with many of the seasoning herbs (rosemary, sage,
etc) and, of all things, irises. These plants are quite commonly used in
ornamental plantings around here. Other things--roses and English ivy,
for instance--are their idea of dessert. Incidentally, these deer have
become completely civilized: they pay little or no attention to people
and even very large dogs unless they think their fawns are being
endangered. Here, deer fit your description of lantana: beautiful, but
such pests.
Allen
Old June 10th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 08:05:53 -0500, Allen wrote:
: Lantana isn't a pest where I live. My neighborhood in Austin TX has a
: large white-tail deer population, to the extent that each year we have
: several fawns born in our back yard. Lantana is one plant that our deer
: won't eat, along with with many of the seasoning herbs (rosemary, sage,
: etc) and, of all things, irises. These plants are quite commonly used in
: ornamental plantings around here. Other things--roses and English ivy,
: for instance--are their idea of dessert. Incidentally, these deer have
: become completely civilized: they pay little or no attention to people
: and even very large dogs unless they think their fawns are being
: endangered. Here, deer fit your description of lantana: beautiful, but
: such pests.

It sounds to me as though you and your neighbors need to talk some sense into
your large dogs. ;^)

Bob
Old June 10th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Eric Hocking

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
snip
What exactly is the difference between a wildflower and a weed? ;^)

When gardening once, my wife walks up to me with an uprooted plant in her
hand and asked,

"is this a flower or a weed?".

Answer?

"It's a weed now....."

--
Eric Hocking
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"

Old June 11th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

mmnospam wrote:
wrote:
: Allen wrote:
: Annika1980 wrote:
[...]

Well, for my money, if it has pretty flowers, while flowering, it is NOT
a weed. Lots of plants are pests, but still have pretty flowers.

What's Up with all the Flower Pics? Annika1980 Digital Photography 25 June 11th 07 12:08 AM
Flower closups Rex Digital Photography 2 April 13th 06 02:48 AM
Macy's Flower Show [email protected] 35mm Photo Equipment 2 March 24th 05 04:00 AM
New flower album -=Lucas=- Digital Point & Shoot Cameras 1 March 2nd 05 05:19 PM