Where can I find the BEST deal on nikon lenses?? Seriously, I'm poor

Old March 30th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
cassia

Default Where can I find the BEST deal on nikon lenses?? Seriously, I'm poor

The big question is, where is the best place to buy lenses CHEAP!! Do
you know of any fabulous online stores that you trust and would
recommend???

I'm an aspiring photographer still in school and newly married, so the
cash isn't exactly flowing right now if you know what I mean So,
I'm looking for a fast zoom lens, maybe 2.8 aperature or wider and I'm
thinking as wide angled as I can get going up to around 200 or 300mm.
I also want a fisheye lens, and not an adaptor. I was thinking of
getting a fixed 50mm at 1.4 but what I'm thinking is that I want to
really get into weddings with the photojournalism style, so that's why
I think the zoom would be great so I can more or less be a fly on the
wall rather than an "in-you-face" kind of photographer.

Currently I own the D70 (a fabulous wedding present!!) although, in a
few months, when I've had more experience I think I'll move up to the
D200.

Old March 30th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott W

On Mar 30, 7:43 am, "cassia" wrote:
[...]

They may not be the cheapest buy I buy all my lenses from B&H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
They are good people to deal with in my experience.

If nothing else you can look at what they have and get an idea about
cost.

Scott

Old March 30th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JR

Buy used from KEH.com....they are very reputable and since you are
buying used you will get a better value for your dollar....For the zoom,
get the Tokina Pro 28-70/2.6-2.8 II...this is an EXCELLENT lens that
rivals the Nikkor 28-70/28 at a fraction of the cost.....A 50/1.8 is
probably a better value at $99 used vs. $200+ used for a 50/1.4...the
50/1.8 is actually a sharper lens, so unless you NEED the 1/3 of a stop
in speed you get from the 50/1.4 then dont bother....Then get a used
Nikkor 80-200/2.8 lens...almost all versions are great....so buy the
best one you can afford...the early ones had more problems with lens
creep, and didnt have a tripod collar, so get one with a tripod collar
and you will be set.....good luck.

JR

Old March 30th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott Schuckert

In article .com,
cassia wrote:

The big question is, where is the best place to buy lenses CHEAP!! Do
you know of any fabulous online stores that you trust and would
recommend???

There is no such thing as a fabulous bargain on camera equipment. The
profit on this stuff is so low, any dealer advertising significantly
below market value is planning on ripping you off.

Select your lenses intelligently (how much are you REALLY going to use
that fisheye?), buy from one of the few reputable dealers, and consider
used equipment.

Got it? OK. The exceptions:

Once in a great while, someone will list a lens in the wrong category
or with a bad description on eBay, and other buyers will miss it. If
you stumble across it, and evaluate the listing carefully, you may get
a "bargain". You may also get ripped off.

You can check newspapers for people selling equipment; I got some great
Nikkor lenses from parents whose son had left them when he moved out.

Note: These days, camera shows are usually a waste of time. Prices are
higher than eBay, and usually higher than used from online retailers.
Old March 30th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

cassia wrote:
[...]

KEH is probably your best bet, although I don't think anyone made a 28 -
200 f/2.8 zoom.

They do have Tamron 28-105 f/2.8s for $280 to $375 [BGN - EX] and a
Tamron 35-105 f/2.8 for $189 [BGN].

FWIW, KEH's BGN is usually comparable quality to other vendor's EX.
Old April 1st 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

cassia wrote:

The big question is, where is the best place to buy lenses CHEAP!! Do
you know of any fabulous online stores that you trust and would
recommend???

Currently I own the D70 (a fabulous wedding present!!) although, in a
few months, when I've had more experience I think I'll move up to the
D200.

Look at old manual focus lenses for the D200!
Old April 1st 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Scott Schuckert wrote:

You can check newspapers for people selling equipment; I got some great
Nikkor lenses from parents whose son had left them when he moved out.

Craigslist.org is a way to actually handle the lens locally.
Old April 2nd 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Yoshi

"cassia" wrote in message
oups.com...
The big question is, where is the best place to buy lenses CHEAP!! Do
you know of any fabulous online stores that you trust and would
recommend???

I'm looking for a fast zoom lens, maybe 2.8 aperature or wider and I'm
thinking as wide angled as I can get going up to around 200 or 300mm.
I also want a fisheye lens, and not an adaptor.

You want a lens that goes from wide (28mm I would guess) to 300mm with a
f/2.8 aperture, and it's gotta be cheap? Not gonna happen.

Yoshi