What was Sigma thinking?

Old March 10th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MarkČ

Default What was Sigma thinking?

D-Mac wrote:
"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
Eric Miller wrote:
After letting the image of the new Sigma behemoth sink in, I just
can't get past the question of why Sigma would produce a lens like
this. It must weigh a lot more than most will want to
carry anywhere.

The following image really puts its size in perspective:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma...a/IMG_5383.jpg

No thanks...

MarkČ

I guess you'd have trouble using the pop up flash then?

My main camera doesn't have a pop-up flash...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old March 10th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
nospam wrote:
In article , MarkČ
wrote:

Eric Miller wrote:
After letting the image of the new Sigma behemoth sink in, I just
can't get past the question of why Sigma would produce a lens like
this. It must weigh a lot more than most will want to
carry anywhere.

The following image really puts its size in perspective:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma...a/IMG_5383.jpg

here's a few mo
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/st...9/pma_sigma14l.
jpg
http://www.sportsshooter.com/pix/spe...03090725607.jp
http://www.popphoto.com/assets/image/2007/Q1/392007111458.jpg
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/1...gmasterbl8.jpg

The only thing wrong with that last image is that the guy's "package"
would be shriveled to the size of peas after all the years of steroids...

Instead of a tripod mount on the bottom of that lens, it should have a whole
tripod built in........

Old March 10th 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
nospam

In article , William
Graham wrote:

Instead of a tripod mount on the bottom of that lens, it should have a whole
tripod built in........

one version of the lens has wheels:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/cnjsales123/lens.jpg

but it can be handheld too:
http://www.dangrabbit.com/photography/albums/Shares/sigzilla.jpg
Old March 10th 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , William
Graham wrote:

Instead of a tripod mount on the bottom of that lens, it should have a
whole
tripod built in........

one version of the lens has wheels:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/cnjsales123/lens.jpg

LOL!~ - But you should have let half the air out of the tires before you
took the picture of the Jeep......

Old March 10th 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
D-Mac[_2_]

: D-Mac wrote:
: "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
: ...
:
: The following image really puts its size in perspective:
: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma...a/IMG_5383.jpg
:
: No thanks...
:
: MarkČ
:
:
: I guess you'd have trouble using the pop up flash then?
:
: My main camera doesn't have a pop-up flash...
:
: --
: Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by MarkČ at:
: www.pbase.com/markuson
:
:
The one on that lens does.

Old March 10th 07, 06:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MarkČ

Eric Miller wrote:
After letting the image of the new Sigma behemoth sink in, I just
can't get past the question of why Sigma would produce a lens like
this. It must weigh a lot more than most will want to
carry anywhere.

The following image really puts its size in perspective:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma...a/IMG_5383.jpg

No thanks...

MarkČ

I guess you'd have trouble using the pop up flash then?

My main camera doesn't have a pop-up flash...

www.pbase.com/markuson

The one on that lens does.

That's Sigma for ya... Always "thinkin..."

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old March 10th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/1048/sigmasterbl8.jpg

http://i19.tinypic.com/333y6bp.jpg
Old March 10th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

MarkČ wrote:

That's Sigma for ya... Always "thinkin..."

typo: Always "stinkin..."
Old March 10th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

On Mar 11, 12:38 am, Alan Browne
wrote:
nospam wrote:
here's a few mo
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/st...9/pma_sigma14l.
jpg
http://www.sportsshooter.com/pix/spe...03090725607.jp
http://www.popphoto.com/assets/image/2007/Q1/392007111458.jpg
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/1048/sigmasterbl8.jpg

http://i19.tinypic.com/333y6bp.jpg

ROFL!

Old March 10th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Skip

"Eric Miller" wrote in message
After letting the image of the new Sigma behemoth sink in, I just can't
get past the question of why Sigma would produce a lens like this. Why not
produce a 500 f/5.6 lens, one that would autofocus on most consumer
DSLR's? How about a 400 f/4 that is cheaper than the DO Canon lens or even
a 400 f/5.6 with OS? In other words, why not fill a gap in supertelephotos
instead of producing a monster like a 200-500 f/2.8? Granted, it has no
competition, but who is going to want one of these? It must weigh a lot
more than most will want to carry anywhere.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

I have a feeling it was/is an engineering excursive, much like the famed,
and fabled, Canon 1200 mm f5.6. It basically says, "Hey, look what we can
do!"

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com