What was Sigma thinking?

Old March 9th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Miller

Default What was Sigma thinking?

After letting the image of the new Sigma behemoth sink in, I just can't
get past the question of why Sigma would produce a lens like this. Why
not produce a 500 f/5.6 lens, one that would autofocus on most consumer
DSLR's? How about a 400 f/4 that is cheaper than the DO Canon lens or
even a 400 f/5.6 with OS? In other words, why not fill a gap in
supertelephotos instead of producing a monster like a 200-500 f/2.8?
Granted, it has no competition, but who is going to want one of these?
It must weigh a lot more than most will want to carry anywhere.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com
Old March 9th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott W

On Mar 9, 8:17 am, Eric Miller
wrote:
After letting the image of the new Sigma behemoth sink in, I just can't
get past the question of why Sigma would produce a lens like this. Why
not produce a 500 f/5.6 lens, one that would autofocus on most consumer
DSLR's? How about a 400 f/4 that is cheaper than the DO Canon lens or
even a 400 f/5.6 with OS? In other words, why not fill a gap in
supertelephotos instead of producing a monster like a 200-500 f/2.8?
Granted, it has no competition, but who is going to want one of these?
It must weigh a lot more than most will want to carry anywhere.

Eric Millerwww.dyesscreek.com

It would appear that they went with a f/2.8 lens so they could use a
2X teleconverter with it. I would be interesting in seeing some test
shots with an using a 2X converter, not that I am going to be buying
one in any event.

Scott

Scott

Old March 9th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

Probably something along the lines of "Take *THAT* Carl Zeiss AG!!"
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

Zeiss announced a 1700mm F/4 APO Sonnar T* at Photokina 2006.
Old March 10th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
D-Mac[_2_]

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
: On Mar 9, 8:17 am, Eric Miller
:
: Eric Millerwww.dyesscreek.com
:
: It would appear that they went with a f/2.8 lens so they could use a
: 2X teleconverter with it. I would be interesting in seeing some test
: shots with an using a 2X converter, not that I am going to be buying
: one in any event.
:
: Scott
:
: Scott
:
A better result would be obtained with a 1.4x converter which produces
virtually no image degradation on other F/2.8 lenses in their line up but I
would guess that this lens has it's own computer in that monster barrel to
ensure element moves to suit the extra elements of a converter are made
seamlessly. $20,000 (AUD) give or take a grand or two, is the word in
Australia. Hand made to order seems likely too.

It would make more sense financially to buy a $15,000 (AUD) 1D Canon and
rent lenses like this from Canon when you need them. They certainly have a
bigger range of really long lenses than Sigma. I like this one:
http://www.annika1980.com/

Douglas

Old March 10th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott W

On Mar 9, 3:10 pm, "D-Mac" wrote:
A better result would be obtained with a 1.4x converter which produces
virtually no image degradation on other F/2.8 lenses in their line up but I
would guess that this lens has it's own computer in that monster barrel to
ensure element moves to suit the extra elements of a converter are made
seamlessly. $20,000 (AUD) give or take a grand or two, is the word in
Australia. Hand made to order seems likely too.

Yeah, but if they only wanted to be able to use a 1.4X converter they
could have made the lens a f/4 and saved both a lot of weight and
cost. It is interesting to note
that 2.8 is right at the limit of what you need to use with a 2X
converter when using a Canon body.

Scott

Old March 10th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MarkČ

Eric Miller wrote:
After letting the image of the new Sigma behemoth sink in, I just
can't get past the question of why Sigma would produce a lens like
this. It must weigh a lot more than most will want to
carry anywhere.

The following image really puts its size in perspective:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma...a/IMG_5383.jpg

No thanks...

MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old March 10th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
nospam

In article , MarkČ
wrote:

Eric Miller wrote:
After letting the image of the new Sigma behemoth sink in, I just
can't get past the question of why Sigma would produce a lens like
this. It must weigh a lot more than most will want to
carry anywhere.

The following image really puts its size in perspective:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma...a/IMG_5383.jpg

here's a few mo
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/st...9/pma_sigma14l.
jpg
http://www.sportsshooter.com/pix/spe...03090725607.jp
http://www.popphoto.com/assets/image/2007/Q1/392007111458.jpg
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/1048/sigmasterbl8.jpg
Old March 10th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , MarkČ
wrote:

Eric Miller wrote:
After letting the image of the new Sigma behemoth sink in, I just
can't get past the question of why Sigma would produce a lens like
this. It must weigh a lot more than most will want to
carry anywhere.

The following image really puts its size in perspective:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma...a/IMG_5383.jpg

here's a few mo
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/st...9/pma_sigma14l.
jpg
http://www.sportsshooter.com/pix/spe...03090725607.jp
http://www.popphoto.com/assets/image/2007/Q1/392007111458.jpg
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/1048/sigmasterbl8.jpg

Ha! the last one really shows it up well.....I think you would be better off
just buying Mt. Palomar....Probably cheaper, too.......

Old March 10th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
D-Mac[_2_]

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
: Eric Miller wrote:
: After letting the image of the new Sigma behemoth sink in, I just
: can't get past the question of why Sigma would produce a lens like
: this. It must weigh a lot more than most will want to
: carry anywhere.
:
: The following image really puts its size in perspective:
: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma...a/IMG_5383.jpg
:
: No thanks...
:
: MarkČ
:
:
I guess you'd have trouble using the pop up flash then?

Old March 10th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MarkČ

nospam wrote:
In article , MarkČ
wrote:

Eric Miller wrote:
After letting the image of the new Sigma behemoth sink in, I just
can't get past the question of why Sigma would produce a lens like
this. It must weigh a lot more than most will want to
carry anywhere.

The following image really puts its size in perspective:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma...a/IMG_5383.jpg

here's a few mo
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/st...9/pma_sigma14l.
jpg
http://www.sportsshooter.com/pix/spe...03090725607.jp
http://www.popphoto.com/assets/image/2007/Q1/392007111458.jpg
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/1...gmasterbl8.jpg

The only thing wrong with that last image is that the guy's "package" would
be shriveled to the size of peas after all the years of steroids...

www.pbase.com/markuson