F4s

Old July 29th 04, 08:31 AM
Philip Homburg

Default F4s

In article ,
Matt Clara wrote:
Yeah, I want one. Well done. Even better yet would be an F3HP with 1/250th
sync speed. Unfortunately 1/80th is all you get!

I found TTL flash on the F3 quite useless, even without the 1/80th limitation.
As soon as you switch on the slash, the light meter read-out is disabled.
I know there is a 'patch' for that.

That stupid viewfinder illumination button is also nothing to write
home about.

It is a great idea to power the camera from the motor drive, but when the
battery of the motor drive is empty, you can't take any more pictures because
to battery in the camera is disabled.

Most of the time, I like my F3, but some things are quite stupid.

--
The Electronic Monk was a labor-saving device, like a dishwasher or a video
recorder. [...] Video recorders watched tedious television for you, thus saving
Old July 29th 04, 09:48 AM
Dallas

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:47:32 +0000, Matt Clara wrote:

"Dallas" wrote in message
newsan.2004.07.28.19.58.55.934000@southafrican.. .
Oh yeah, baby!

This is what a real camera is all about. I have spent the best part of
the evening familiarising myself with the different fucntions and it's
almost like running into an old friend you haven't seen for ages.

I like EVERYTHING about this camera. Especially the fact that I am able
to use my ancient, but extra-ordinary pre-AI Nikkors with the body in
stop down mode (I don't think I will even bother getting them AI'd).

Yeah, I want one. Well done. Even better yet would be an F3HP with
1/250th sync speed. Unfortunately 1/80th is all you get!

Do you know what the most amazing part about getting this camera was? I
paid less for it than I did for my very first new Nikon SLR four years
ago (which was the F60 (N60)). Can you believe that?

The previous owner has just "invested" in a D70 with 18-70mm lens.

About the AF in the F4s. I really don't know what all the hoo-haa is
about. I tried it with the 28-70mm f/2.6 AF Angeniuex zoom (which I must
still buy) and it was way quicker than I had expected. It did hunt a bit
on objects with low contrast, but I really don't think it was *that* bad.
Sure, it's nothing like an F5, but I don't think it's any worse than a
Canon D60.

Consider me truly back in the Nikon fold! g

--
Dallas
Group guidelines on http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm

Old July 29th 04, 12:49 PM
Dallas

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:20:11 +0200, Philip Homburg wrote:

In article pan.2004.07.28.19.58.55.934000@southafrican, Dallas
wrote:
I tried plugging in the MC-10 and while it activates the meter, it
doesn't trip the shutter. Anyone able to confirm what camera the MC-10 is
for?

According to Braczko, the MC-10 works on the MD-2, MD-3, MD-12 and MD-15.
(F2, FE/FM/FE2/FM2/FM3A, FA)

Well, we can add the F4s to that list too. I fiddled a bit with the
trigger switch and if you don't fully depress it too fast, it starts the
meter and then also fires the shutter.

Old July 29th 04, 06:18 PM
Andrey Tarasevich

Dallas wrote:
I tried plugging in the MC-10 and while it activates the meter, it
doesn't trip the shutter. Anyone able to confirm what camera the MC-10 is
for?

According to Braczko, the MC-10 works on the MD-2, MD-3, MD-12 and MD-15.
(F2, FE/FM/FE2/FM2/FM3A, FA)

Well, we can add the F4s to that list too. I fiddled a bit with the
trigger switch and if you don't fully depress it too fast, it starts the
meter and then also fires the shutter.

Yeah, but you'll never know whether it is really compatible until you
develop the film. Maybe with MC-10 it always takes black-and-white
pictures...

--
Best regards,
Andrey Tarasevich

Old July 30th 04, 07:25 AM
Roger Halstead

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:47:32 GMT, "Matt Clara"
wrote:

"Dallas" wrote in message
newsan.2004.07.28.19.58.55.934000@southafrican. ..
Oh yeah, baby!

This is what a real camera is all about. I have spent the best part of the
evening familiarising myself with the different fucntions and it's almost
like running into an old friend you haven't seen for ages.

I like EVERYTHING about this camera. Especially the fact that I am able to
use my ancient, but extra-ordinary pre-AI Nikkors with the body in stop
down mode (I don't think I will even bother getting them AI'd).

I've no complaints about mine other than the weight when going on all
day shoots. I don't own any Nikon/Nikor lenses that aren't AF and all
of those work on my D-70 which for normal shooting is more comfortable
than the F4S. OTOH I use the mirror lock up and the cable release
quite often on the F4S.

Yeah, I want one. Well done. Even better yet would be an F3HP with 1/250th

I had an F3HP. It was the most trouble plagued camera I ever owned.
It was constantly breaking. I had it about 3 or 4 weeks when I used
it at a wedding. The rewind mechanism broke about 15 minutes into the
shoot which I finished with my old F2 Photomic. I always used two
cameras.

I liked the feel of the F3, but the one I had just wasn't reliable.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
sync speed. Unfortunately 1/80th is all you get!