Whatever Happened To ........

Old December 8th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Default Whatever Happened To ........

Martin Francis?

Old December 8th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
niceparking

Annika1980 wrote:
Martin Francis?

He's a real photographer, and in case you hadn't noticed, they don't
tend to stick around here long.

Old December 8th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Colin_D

niceparking wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
Martin Francis?

He's a real photographer, and in case you hadn't noticed, they don't
tend to stick around here long.

Is that why you're still here?

Colin D.

Old December 8th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

He's a real photographer, and in case you hadn't noticed, they don't
tend to stick around here long.

I am an engineer and I don't stick around the engineering
groups for long either: it's full of folks doing it for fun.
If building sand castles on the beach the last thing one would
want is a contractor saying "Here, kid, let me show you how it
is really done".

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.nolindan.com/da/index.htm

Old December 8th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
niceparking

Colin_D wrote:
niceparking wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
Martin Francis?

He's a real photographer, and in case you hadn't noticed, they don't
tend to stick around here long.

Is that why you're still here?

Colin D.

Yeah, same as you and Mr. 1980.

Old December 8th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
niceparking

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
He's a real photographer, and in case you hadn't noticed, they don't
tend to stick around here long.

I am an engineer and I don't stick around the engineering
groups for long either: it's full of folks doing it for fun.
If building sand castles on the beach the last thing one would
want is a contractor saying "Here, kid, let me show you how it
is really done".

(beep beep beep said the dump truck full of sand backing up to the
kid...) and let's face it, unless the contractor is into teaching, or
just having his ego stroked in a very minimalist way, there's not much
there for him (or her) there, either. Further, if you've ever played
anything competetively, playing with people who are less
skilled/experienced than you tends to make you play more poorly--a
dumbing down, if you will. It's like an English professor trying to
read Reader's Digest condensed books for fun, where for him or her, it
simply can't be!

Old December 8th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott W

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
He's a real photographer, and in case you hadn't noticed, they don't
tend to stick around here long.

I am an engineer and I don't stick around the engineering
groups for long either: it's full of folks doing it for fun.
If building sand castles on the beach the last thing one would
want is a contractor saying "Here, kid, let me show you how it
is really done".

I think it is the nature of what the news groups have turned into more
then the idea of
a pro participating.

A number of years ago I participated on a flute group, run via email.
One of the rather fun parts was that James Galway was a regular poster
to the group. He rather enjoys talking and writing about flutes and
flute playing and was always willing to share his views.

But I rather doubt that he participats now, I could be wrong but the
internet groups have changed greatly in the last 10 years.

Scott

Old December 9th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"niceparking" wrote in message
ups.com...

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
[...]

Yeah.....If you're trying to make a living at it, you haven't got the time
to bother with the newsgroups.....These are really for old retired geezers
like me.......

Old December 9th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Scott W" wrote in message
ups.com...

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
[...]

There are still several pro's who participate in some of the trumpet players
groups. (I partake in that hobby too.) But a lot of them either teach, or
are semi-retired.....The people who have to make their living at music (or
any other art) don't have the time to bother with most of these
groups......Many of the pro trumpet players I have known were on the road
all the time when they were active. In those days, they didn't have the
computer thing going, and they wouldn't have had the time for it anyway.....

Old December 9th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Brace

. ..

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
[...]

Hold on there a minute!!!