WHAT'S UP WITH THE 20D?

Old November 25th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Default WHAT'S UP WITH THE 20D?

Colin_D wrote:
Bret's shots usually display good timing, capturing the
subject in an engaging manner - witness the series on Spike,
f'rinstance. I feel I know that damn bird as well as if he was on our
waterway here. It takes more than a snapshot to do that.

The timing of the shots and he capturing of the moment was the easy
part. The hard part was getting that damn nail in his neck. Those
suckers bite!

Actually, Spike and I share some similar attributes.
We're both pains in the neck, but you'll all miss us both when we're
gone.

Old November 25th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Pudentame wrote:
Given all the self congratulation and hyper promotion that accompanies
Bret's postings, I think questions of artistic merit are well warranted.

THE FALL OF THE 20D!!!
20D NAILS IT!
20D GOES LONG!
20D NEVER STRIKES OUT!
WHAT'S UP WITH THE 20D?
SELENOGRAPHERS LOVE THE 20D!!!
BLOODSUCKERS LOVE THE 20D!!!
THE 20D SWIMS WITH THE FISHES!!!
20D MAKES A BIG SPLASH!!!
BIG BIRDS LOVE THE 20D!
YOU CAN'T HIDE FROM THE 20D!
DON'T TURN YOUR BACK ON THE 20D!
FLASHERS LOVE THE 20D!
THE UPPER CRUST LOVES THE 20D!
TINY BUBBLES LOVE THE 20D!
RED-SHOULDERS LOVE THE 20D!
20D LIKES IT HOT!
20D GETS EXTREME!!!
GETTIN SNEAKY WITH THE 20D!

I could go on (and on, and on, and on, and on) ...

Ain't no filler, every one's a killer!

Old November 25th 06, 09:40 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Richard Polhill

Colin_D wrote:

I think there's a little bit more to it than that, Richard. Anni's
shots are not 'pictorial' or 'artistic' (or meant to be) but they are
very well exposed and focused, even if automatically so, and the framing
is generally well done. Snapshots in the usual meaning of the word, are
usually badly framed, subject(s) not at its/their best - or the shot is
badly timed. Bret's shots usually display good timing, capturing the
subject in an engaging manner - witness the series on Spike,
f'rinstance. I feel I know that damn bird as well as if he was on our
waterway here. It takes more than a snapshot to do that.

Ok point taken.

Any recommendations as to suitable knee-jerk damping material to help me
deal with subject lines such as "XXX JUST LURVES THE 20D"?

;-)
Old November 25th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Colin_D

Richard Polhill wrote:
Colin_D wrote:

I think there's a little bit more to it than that, Richard. Anni's
shots are not 'pictorial' or 'artistic' (or meant to be) but they are
very well exposed and focused, even if automatically so, and the
framing is generally well done. Snapshots in the usual meaning of the
word, are usually badly framed, subject(s) not at its/their best - or
the shot is badly timed. Bret's shots usually display good timing,
capturing the subject in an engaging manner - witness the series on
Spike, f'rinstance. I feel I know that damn bird as well as if he was
on our waterway here. It takes more than a snapshot to do that.

Ok point taken.

Any recommendations as to suitable knee-jerk damping material to help me
deal with subject lines such as "XXX JUST LURVES THE 20D"?

;-)

Well, Bret is a natural extrovert, and extroverts are a little inclined
to rub introverts the wrong way now and then. Just grin at the
exhibitionism, look at the shots, and think to yourself "Could I have
done that?" My own honest answer is probably not - at least for some of
his shots, anyway.

He seems fortunate to live in a part of the world where birds like Spike
and others dwell, and where shots from Lookout Point are breathtaking,
and deer appear within lens range of the road. But then I think, "There
must be something around my part of the world that's as interesting,
though our birds are usually sparrows and thrushes, and probably our
biggest bird is a seagull of some sort, or a duck (with no nail), and
our native bush is evergreen, no fall colors to speak of. Even
cheerleaders are scarce, and usually wear trousers or short pants {:-(

Maybe I just haven't yet learned to see beyond the ordinary. {:-( again.

A quote from Edward Weston's daybooks:
"Anything that excites me, for any reason, I will photograph; not
searching for unusual subject matter, but rather making the commonplace
unusual; nor indulging in extraordinary technique to attract attention.
Work ... honestly. Then so-called 'composition' becomes a personal
thing, to be developed along with technique as a personal way of seeing."

At the risk of being ridiculed by some who will not understand, I will
state that I think Bret is following that path, and is ahead of me.

Colin D.

Old November 26th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Colin_D wrote:

A quote from Edward Weston's daybooks:
"Anything that excites me, for any reason, I will photograph; not
searching for unusual subject matter, but rather making the commonplace
unusual; nor indulging in extraordinary technique to attract attention.
Work ... honestly. Then so-called 'composition' becomes a personal
thing, to be developed along with technique as a personal way of seeing."

At the risk of being ridiculed by some who will not understand, I will
state that I think Bret is following that path, and is ahead of me.

I've never read that until now, but it does describe exactly what I try
to do. Trying to make something interesting from something commonplace
( a clump of mushrooms, for example) is where things get interesting.
One way to expand your horizons is to get a good macro lens. A macro
will open up whole new worlds close to you, even in your own back yard.
This way you'll always have something interesting to photograph once
you've photographed all the mountains, streams, sunsets, and wildlife
(including cheerleaders) in your area.

Old November 26th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

MarkČ wrote:
Pudentame wrote:

[...]

But you get the idea the camera is the brains behind the operation and
Bret's just there to chauffeur it around from location to location.

For all the hype, it rare indeed for Bret to post anything better
than a snapshot.

That's just schtick... Clearly it's working, because you keep clicking on
his links...

Actually, I rarely click on his links anymore. I rarely do more than
click "mark thread read" ... had some time to kill this time.
Old November 26th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MarkČ

Colin_D wrote:
Richard Polhill wrote:
Colin_D wrote:

[...]

I give Bret a lot of credit for the simple fact that he seems to shoot
SOMETHING...every...single...chance...he...gets. He's clearly enjoying his
photography more than most around here seem to.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old November 26th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

MarkČ (lowest even number here) wrote:

I give Bret a lot of credit for the simple fact that he seems to shoot
SOMETHING...every...single...chance...he...gets. He's clearly enjoying his
photography more than most around here seem to.

You got that right! My only frustrations are when I come up against
the limitations of my equipment. Anyway, here's today's catch:

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/70810705
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/70810706

Old November 26th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

Annika1980 wrote:
MarkČ (lowest even number here) wrote:
I give Bret a lot of credit for the simple fact that he seems to shoot
SOMETHING...every...single...chance...he...gets. He's clearly enjoying his
photography more than most around here seem to.

You got that right! My only frustrations are when I come up against
the limitations of my equipment. Anyway, here's today's catch:

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/70810705
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/70810706

How much of a crop on the Eagle? Great pose, tho. Did you forget to turn
ISO down after a previous shoot as I do too often??

--

john mcwilliams
Old November 26th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

John McWilliams wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/70810705
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/70810706

How much of a crop on the Eagle? Great pose, tho. Did you forget to turn
ISO down after a previous shoot as I do too often??

The full frame looked like this:
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/70813018

I purposely kept the ISO high, going for max shutter speed. I did
forget to stop down a stop or two, however.