WHAT'S UP WITH THE 20D?

Old November 24th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Default WHAT'S UP WITH THE 20D?

Paul wrote:

AKA Ugliest Dogs In the World

AKA Pug Ugly

Agreed. And when my sis brings all her pugs over it's "Ugly x 5."

Old November 24th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Richard Polhill

Annika1980 wrote:
Richard Polhill wrote:

Perhaps I was merely attempting to show off the 20D's awesome ability
to autofocus and autoexpose? The first shot ("What's Up?") was a
particularly difficult exposure situation with dark shade mixed with
bright sunlight.

Awesome! Demonstrated perfectly.
Old November 24th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Richard Polhill wrote:
Sorry, Bret, I really do like some of your images, even if you do attribute
all the skill to the 20D.

No need to apologize to me. I can take whatever criticisms you can
dish out. Hell, I welcome them! That's how you get better. Keep the
critiques coming!

But some, like this, are really just perfectly focused and exposed snapshots.

Yeah, sometimes that's all you're gonna get. But it is nice to know
that with the proper equipment even your quick grab shots have a good
chance of being perfectly focused and nicely exposed. That, to me, is
the true value of good equipment. It is very easy to get good results
with even the cheapest equipment given controlled situations and
perfect lighting. But not many of us shoot in a studio. When you're
on the move and shooting in poorly lit rooms or outside in mixed
lighting, you want equipment that will let you get the most out of the
scene. With my 20D, for example, I know I can take shots like this at
ISO 1600 without worrying about grain or noise.
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/70671265

This also answers your question of why I post photos in an equipment
newsgroup. Isn't the purpose of equipment to take photos? How better
to show the value of good equipment that with some examples? It also
answers the unasked question of why I take pics ... to share with
others.

Old November 24th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Richard Polhill" wrote in message
. ..
Annika1980 wrote:
A few I took today:

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/70671265

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/70671266

I don't get it. At risk of being accused of Bret bashing, I cannot see the
artistic merit in these photos. Unless they were my dogs I cannot see any
reason why I'd pay any more attention than a cursory glance at these
snapshots.

Beautifully (auto)exposed and (auto)focussed though they are, and nicely
framed. What is so great though?

I know the horses for courses argument, but for the same reason I don't
want to see a commercial photographer's thousand pictures of moodily lit
toasters, I can't find any reason to look at it other than curiosity when
the link is posted.

Is there a narrative that accompanies the image, as it sure doesn't create
one of its own.

Sorry, Bret, I really do like some of your images, even if you do
attribute all the skill to the 20D. But some, like this, are really just
perfectly focused and exposed snapshots.

And what else do you want....."Perfectly exposed snapshots" are what it's
all about. Some like insects, some flowers, some animals or birds, some
architecture, some landscapes, some street scenes, and some surreal "artsy"
creations....There is no way to please everybody. When you get right down to
it, they are all, "perfectly exposed (or not) snapshots"........

Old November 24th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Colin_D

MarkČ wrote:
Colin_D wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
A few I took today:

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/70671265

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/70671266

I'm not a fan of bulldogs, but I admire your images. Don't stop
posting.
Colin D.

Those aren't bulldogs... they are pugs.

Ah, well, you can see I don't know much about dogs, 'cept those don't
look much like our erstwhile lab/collie cross.

But speaking of bulldogs...
Here's my 91 year old grandmothing (who still has a great sense of humor)
doing her impression of a bulldog today at the Thanksgiving dinner
able... -She had brought fake "bubba teeth" with her to the gathering, and
walked in without her uppers...instead replacing them with these things.
-I hope I can still laugh and carry on like that when I'm 91...

Heeeeeeeeeeere's GRANNY!
http://upload.pbase.com/image/70680032/original
and
http://upload.pbase.com/markuson/ima...80035/original
it gets worse...
http://upload.pbase.com/markuson/ima...80034/original
And finally...the REAL Granny we know and love... (with her 85 year old
brother)
http://upload.pbase.com/markuson/ima...80031/original

-MarkČ

Great shots. Not many ladies would allow you to take those!

Colin D.

Old November 24th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

MarkČ wrote:
Colin_D wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
A few I took today:

[...]

I'm glad you didn't post those *before* I had Thanksgiving dinner.
Old November 24th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Colin_D

Richard Polhill wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
A few I took today:

[...]

I think there's a little bit more to it than that, Richard. Anni's
shots are not 'pictorial' or 'artistic' (or meant to be) but they are
very well exposed and focused, even if automatically so, and the framing
is generally well done. Snapshots in the usual meaning of the word, are
usually badly framed, subject(s) not at its/their best - or the shot is
badly timed. Bret's shots usually display good timing, capturing the
subject in an engaging manner - witness the series on Spike,
f'rinstance. I feel I know that damn bird as well as if he was on our
waterway here. It takes more than a snapshot to do that.

Colin D.

Old November 24th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
Richard Polhill wrote:

A few I took today:

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/70671265

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/70671266

I don't get it. At risk of being accused of Bret bashing, I cannot
see the artistic merit in these photos. Unless they were my dogs I
cannot see any reason why I'd pay any more attention than a cursory
glance at these snapshots.

I think it time you loosen up and take life less seriously and enjoy it.
They are fun shots that Bret was very successful of capturing that exact
moment in time. Who cares about "artistic merit" or following the "rules"
for a "perfect" picture? The first one surely made you laugh?

Well, Bret does hype them as demonstrating the superiority of his
photographic skills.

Given all the self congratulation and hyper promotion that accompanies
Bret's postings, I think questions of artistic merit are well warranted.

THE FALL OF THE 20D!!!
20D NAILS IT!
20D GOES LONG!
20D NEVER STRIKES OUT!
WHAT'S UP WITH THE 20D?
SELENOGRAPHERS LOVE THE 20D!!!
BLOODSUCKERS LOVE THE 20D!!!
THE 20D SWIMS WITH THE FISHES!!!
20D MAKES A BIG SPLASH!!!
BIG BIRDS LOVE THE 20D!
YOU CAN'T HIDE FROM THE 20D!
DON'T TURN YOUR BACK ON THE 20D!
FLASHERS LOVE THE 20D!
THE UPPER CRUST LOVES THE 20D!
TINY BUBBLES LOVE THE 20D!
RED-SHOULDERS LOVE THE 20D!
20D LIKES IT HOT!
20D GETS EXTREME!!!
GETTIN SNEAKY WITH THE 20D!

I could go on (and on, and on, and on, and on) ...

But you get the idea the camera is the brains behind the operation and
Bret's just there to chauffeur it around from location to location.

For all the hype, it rare indeed for Bret to post anything better than a
snapshot.
Old November 24th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MarkČ

Pudentame wrote:

[...]

That's just schtick... Clearly it's working, because you keep clicking on
his links...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old November 25th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MarkČ

Pudentame wrote:
MarkČ wrote:
Colin_D wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
A few I took today:

[...]

Ya, they're aren't exactly apetizing... But that's my crazy granny...
www.pbase.com/markuson