D70 write speeds.

Old August 18th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Leigh

Default D70 write speeds.

I have a D70 which has been flashed with the v2 firmware.

Just as a matter of interest what is the write speed of the D70 to the
CF card? I'm currently using a Lexar x80 card but would going even
faster make a difference or, conversely, how slow could I go without
affecting performance?

Old August 18th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Leigh wrote:
I have a D70 which has been flashed with the v2 firmware.

Just as a matter of interest what is the write speed of the D70 to the
CF card? I'm currently using a Lexar x80 card but would going even
faster make a difference or, conversely, how slow could I go without
affecting performance?

I use Sandisk Extreme II cards. To be honest, I don't think it seems to make
much of a difference unless you take many rapid shots as writes seem to be
extremely fast already .. and there is a good caching algorithm in the camera.
My Brother shoots the Canon Digital Rebel and he is always waiting around for
his silver beast to write to the CF card.

Also, note that the D70 is USB 1.1 and not 2.0, so its high speed is still not
that high of a speed, so a faster card is probably faster in the lab only; at
least, for this camera. I own the D70 and never give it a second thought as
to whether the camera is getting behind on card writes ... "it just works".

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old August 18th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"Leigh" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a D70 which has been flashed with the v2 firmware.

Just as a matter of interest what is the write speed of the D70 to the
CF card? I'm currently using a Lexar x80 card but would going even
faster make a difference or, conversely, how slow could I go without
affecting performance?

Hi.

The manual is fairly specific.

If you are shooting continuous in Jpeg, and use a 60x Card, then your
contnuous shooting will run at full speed until the card is full.

This means that the buffer is downoading to the card at the same speed as
the camera writes to the buffer.

Which would would make it appear that a 60x Card is optimum for the D70.

Roy G