What is this ancient nikkor 28mm f/2?

Old February 27th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default What is this ancient nikkor 28mm f/2?

What is this ancient nikkor 28mm f/2?
http://images.mpire.com/1100/joesoldit/329024.jpg
http://images.mpire.com/1100/joesoldit/329027.jpg
http://images.mpire.com/1100/joesoldit/329026.jpg
http://images.mpire.com/1100/joesoldit/329028.jpg
Old February 27th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
. com...
What is this ancient nikkor 28mm f/2?
http://images.mpire.com/1100/joesoldit/329024.jpg
http://images.mpire.com/1100/joesoldit/329027.jpg
http://images.mpire.com/1100/joesoldit/329026.jpg
http://images.mpire.com/1100/joesoldit/329028.jpg

A Nikkor-N, F type just like the lens says... Or are you asking something
else?

Old February 27th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Advocate wrote:

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
. com...

What is this ancient nikkor 28mm f/2?
http://images.mpire.com/1100/joesoldit/329024.jpg
http://images.mpire.com/1100/joesoldit/329027.jpg
http://images.mpire.com/1100/joesoldit/329026.jpg
http://images.mpire.com/1100/joesoldit/329028.jpg

A Nikkor-N, F type just like the lens says... Or are you asking something
else?

Thanks, I didn't know to notice the 'N'.
That's probably a non-AI I'd guess.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/6070nikkor/wides/28mm.htm
Seems like a nice lens though metering possibilities are limited, but
why does it say 'Auto' if that's the case? Seems like an unusual item.
Any idea what the camera is and what the set would be worth? It looks
like it's been through Viet Nam g.
Old February 27th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Paul Furman wrote:
Advocate wrote:

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
. com...

What is this ancient nikkor 28mm f/2?
http://images.mpire.com/1100/joesoldit/329024.jpg
http://images.mpire.com/1100/joesoldit/329027.jpg
http://images.mpire.com/1100/joesoldit/329026.jpg
http://images.mpire.com/1100/joesoldit/329028.jpg

A Nikkor-N, F type just like the lens says... Or are you asking
something else?

Thanks, I didn't know to notice the 'N'.
That's probably a non-AI I'd guess.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/6070nikkor/wides/28mm.htm

Seems like a nice lens though metering possibilities are limited, but
why does it say 'Auto' if that's the case? Seems like an unusual item.
Any idea what the camera is and what the set would be worth? It looks
like it's been through Viet Nam g.

It seems to be an F2 Photomic, from the 'features' tab on this page:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=buyUsed&kw=used&Q=255112&O=productList
"Nikon released their original F camera in 1959. Reliable and rugged
with a large assortment of high quality lenses, it became a
photojournalist's standard piece of equipment. The F was the world's
first truely successful professional 35mm SLR and continued in
production through 1974.

Ever aggressive at the time, Nikon paid keen attention to user and
repairshop feedback regarding their F camera and the result was the F2.
The F2 is a rock. More solid than an F, a little bigger, a swing-open
back for easier loading and a more reliable optional motordrive capable
of 5 frames per second AND power rewind. The F2 quickly took hold in
professional markets.

There were several F2 models over the years, mostly differing in the
specifications of the removeable metered viewfinder. The F2 Photomic is
the standard metered version of the F2 and is designed to work with
Nikon lenses that have the coupling prong on the aperture ring."

So with that coupling prong, can that be mounted on a new Nikon body?
Apparently it is an auto metering setup but I thought 'non-AI' was
without metering?
Old February 27th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
. com...

So with that coupling prong, can that be mounted on a new Nikon body?
Apparently it is an auto metering setup but I thought 'non-AI' was
without metering?

From memory, early Nikkor lenses had to be set to f5.6 before mounting, so
as to engage correctly with the prong from the meter. (and possibly rotated
from max to min aperture, and back ?) Auto Indexing lenses did away with
this setting to f5.6 requirement.
Seek advice on dedicated Nikon sites before you scratch (some) a modern
camera with the prong.

Try the Nikonians website for more info.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old February 27th 06, 07:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Malcolm Stewart wrote:
"Paul Furman" wrote in message
. com...

So with that coupling prong, can that be mounted on a new Nikon body?
Apparently it is an auto metering setup but I thought 'non-AI' was
without metering?

From memory, early Nikkor lenses had to be set to f5.6 before mounting,

Only on the Nikkormats...

as to engage correctly with the prong from the meter. (and possibly rotated
from max to min aperture, and back ?) Auto Indexing lenses did away with
this setting to f5.6 requirement.

They do require rotating from at least f/5.6 to the maximum aperture (in
practice that often translates from min to max, though experienced users
can tell when that isn't necessary).

Many older lenses were modified to work with AI (and therefore with all
decent modern Nikons); see if a piece has been machined out of back of
the diaphragm ring.

If your quality standards are the digicam which took the pictures,
you'll be blown away by the F2...
Old February 27th 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Advocate wrote:

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
. com...

What is this ancient nikkor 28mm f/2?
http://images.mpire.com/1100/joesoldit/329024.jpg
http://images.mpire.com/1100/joesoldit/329027.jpg
http://images.mpire.com/1100/joesoldit/329026.jpg
http://images.mpire.com/1100/joesoldit/329028.jpg

A Nikkor-N, F type just like the lens says... Or are you asking something
else?

Thanks, I didn't know to notice the 'N'.
That's probably a non-AI I'd guess.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/6070nikkor/wides/28mm.htm
Seems like a nice lens though metering possibilities are limited, but why
does it say 'Auto' if that's the case? Seems like an unusual item. Any
idea what the camera is and what the set would be worth? It looks like
it's been through Viet Nam g.

"N" was "code" for the number of elements (nine in this case).

Old February 27th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
"Paul Furman" wrote in message
. com...

So with that coupling prong, can that be mounted on a new Nikon body?
Apparently it is an auto metering setup but I thought 'non-AI' was
without metering?

From memory, early Nikkor lenses had to be set to f5.6 before mounting, so
as to engage correctly with the prong from the meter. (and possibly
rotated
from max to min aperture, and back ?) Auto Indexing lenses did away with
this setting to f5.6 requirement.
Seek advice on dedicated Nikon sites before you scratch (some) a modern
camera with the prong.

The prong is generally fine. You have to beware of the mount itself which
needs an AI notch in it for more recent cameras. Setting to f/5.6 was
peculiar to the Nikon F with Photomic FTn finder and was more convenient
that its predecessors.

Old February 27th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

george wrote:

The prong is generally fine. You have to beware of the mount itself which
needs an AI notch in it for more recent cameras. Setting to f/5.6 was
peculiar to the Nikon F with Photomic FTn finder and was more convenient
that its predecessors.

Nope... The FTn finder didn't require the lens to be set to f/5.6

It was FT & earlier finders (as well as the Nikkormats) which required it.
Old February 27th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Chris Loffredo" wrote in message
george wrote:

The prong is generally fine. You have to beware of the mount itself
which needs an AI notch in it for more recent cameras. Setting to f/5.6
was peculiar to the Nikon F with Photomic FTn finder and was more
convenient that its predecessors.

Nope... The FTn finder didn't require the lens to be set to f/5.6

It was FT & earlier finders (as well as the Nikkormats) which required it.

The camera is an F2 (looks just like mine).
You have to set the lens at f5.6 before mounting (at least I need to on my
F2).

You can use the lens with stop down metering on the F3 (and perhaps F4).
That is to say, after you have flipped the metering tab out of the way.

It is hard to say what the lens or the camera are worth. I already own an
F2, so I would not want the camera at all. Using the lens on my F3 is much
more trouble than it is worth, so I would not want the lens either.
Jim