What to do? Opinions needed!

Old January 28th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default What to do? Opinions needed!

I have been using an SLR for years and years and enjoy the whole
concept of film cameras. I was given a digital camera for Christmas,
and I don't like it. It's an expensive Canon A620 and I find it hard to
get use to. Hard to understand (I know I'm not up to date). The person
who gave it to me would be hurt if I sold it, but I hate to have it sit
on the shelf. What am I to do? i'm wondering if I should just keep it
and use it periodically.
Helen

Old January 28th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Helen wrote:

I have been using an SLR for years and years and enjoy the whole
concept of film cameras. I was given a digital camera for Christmas,
and I don't like it. It's an expensive Canon A620 and I find it hard to
get use to. Hard to understand (I know I'm not up to date). The person
who gave it to me would be hurt if I sold it, but I hate to have it sit
on the shelf. What am I to do? i'm wondering if I should just keep it
and use it periodically.
Helen

Think of those situations where you might not have your SLR with you,
but carrying the A620 would be no burden. Take photos. Enjoy. It
seemed to have a pretty good auto mode, so you don't _need_ to learn the
4,567 ways in can be used if snapshots are acceptable.

A friend's daughter just bought that very same camera. Looked quite
competent, and I liked the way the monitor could swing out and around.
(I haven't seen any images from it, however).

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old January 28th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Thanks Alan! I know you are right. I'll try to stop thinking it's
"brain surgery" and enjoy it and take it everywhere with me. Thanks
again.
Cheers, Helen

Old January 28th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Helen, I would keep it, besides it was a gift. Sit down with the manual
and learn the basic functions first and then move on to the other
features later. I've had a digital camera for a couple years now and
use it for practicing composition and for ease of use on the computer.
Like you, I like the concept of film cameras and the "LOOK" of the
prints.

Rick

Old January 28th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Thanks Rick! I feel a lot better now. I've been a stubborn film camera
enthusiast. I think it's time to make room for another family member.
Cheers, Helen

Old January 28th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Keep it. You might be surprised when you use it. I'm a solid film user
with my 35mm SLR setup and my 4x5 setup. Each serves a purpose. But when
I feel like taking a "light excursion" without the distraction of
constantly looking for great photographs, I grab the P&S digital camera!

And of course I use it to photograph the crap I sell on FleaBay :-)

Old January 28th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Helen wrote:
I have been using an SLR for years and years and enjoy the whole
concept of film cameras. I was given a digital camera for Christmas,
and I don't like it. It's an expensive Canon A620 and I find it hard to
get use to. Hard to understand (I know I'm not up to date). The person
who gave it to me would be hurt if I sold it, but I hate to have it sit
on the shelf. What am I to do? i'm wondering if I should just keep it
and use it periodically.
Helen

It is not the kind of camera that someone used to a SLR will be fast to
warm up to, that would take a DSLR. Use it for what it is, an ok point
and shoot digital. It is not going to be as responsive as a SLR and
since it is a small camera it will not give you full advantage of
digital, high ISO with low noise.

Learn to at least use it in aperture priority and shutter priority
modes.

You might also take it with you the next time you are shooting film and
shoot using it as well, get prints done from each you might be
surprised.

Scott

Old January 28th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

LOL!!!! Thanks Mike, I agree!
Helen

Old January 28th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Good idea. Thanks for your advice!
Helen