What will the Nikon D300 be like?

Old November 27th 05, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default What will the Nikon D300 be like?

Mark Roberts wrote:

I predicted a couple of years ago that Nikon would produce a camera that
is *both* full-frame *and* 1.5x crop: 16-or-so megapixels full frame
with the option of switching to 8-or-so megapixels at 1.5x crop (it
would automatically choose the latter when a small-image-circle lens was
fitted).

Just thought I'd bring it up again...

The basic problem is that AFAIK DX lens don't identify themselves as such -
but if they did, the sensible thing would be not to force them into a
smaller rectangle on a "FF" sensor body but allow use of the full image
circle - which not only varies between different DX lens but also allows
you to get unconventional sizes and angles of rotation easily. Not to
mention the ability to rotate the image 90 degrees while keeping the
camera stationary.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old November 27th 05, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Scott Chapin" writes:

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
"Scott Chapin" writes:

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message

SNIP

Eventually new
high-end "full-frame" cameras will take over the current position of
medium format cameras.

And MF cameras with 36mm square CCDs will replace Large Format cameras?

Not so likely, since a lot of the purpose for LF cameras is the
shifts, swings, and tilts.

To an extent, but I find the thought interesting that these new FF 35mms
will replace MFs. I don't think so, because the optics on MFs are so
superior, and there digital solutions will still make them the choice for
serious work.

Go read some scientific reviews of the MF lenses, and then come back
and say that. They resolve considerably fewer lines than good 35mm
lenses. They have to -- it's a design compromise needed to get the
coverage required for the MF negative.
Old November 27th 05, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Scott Chapin" writes:

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message

SNIP

Eventually new
high-end "full-frame" cameras will take over the current position of
medium format cameras.

And MF cameras with 36mm square CCDs will replace Large Format cameras?

Not so likely, since a lot of the purpose for LF cameras is the
shifts, swings, and tilts.
--

To an extent, but I find the thought interesting that these new FF 35mms
will replace MFs. I don't think so, because the optics on MFs are so
superior, and there digital solutions will still make them the choice for
serious work.

Scott Chapin

How are medium-format optics superior to 35mm?

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old November 27th 05, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Scott Chapin" writes:

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message

SNIP

Eventually new
high-end "full-frame" cameras will take over the current position of
medium format cameras.

And MF cameras with 36mm square CCDs will replace Large Format cameras?

Not so likely, since a lot of the purpose for LF cameras is the
shifts, swings, and tilts.
--

To an extent, but I find the thought interesting that these new FF 35mms
will replace MFs. I don't think so, because the optics on MFs are so
superior, and there digital solutions will still make them the choice for
serious work.

Scott Chapin

MTF makes 35mm look better

http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/mediumlensesmtf.shtml

http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/35lensesmtf.shtml

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old November 27th 05, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
"Scott Chapin" writes:

SNIP

Go read some scientific reviews of the MF lenses, and then come back

and say that. They resolve considerably fewer lines than good 35mm
lenses. They have to -- it's a design compromise needed to get the
coverage required for the MF negative.

Who mentioned resolving power? My Hassy Zeiss lenses just simply render
better images than any of my Nikon or Olympus lenses. The contrast seems to
be so superior in them.

Scott Chapin

Old November 27th 05, 09:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
.. .

SNIP

How are medium-format optics superior to 35mm?

My Hassy Zeiss lenses have always seemed to produce a much better contrast.

Scott Chapin

Old November 27th 05, 09:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
.. .

MTF makes 35mm look better

I don't know. Definitely not against the Nikkors and Zuikos that I own. The
70-200 AF VR is not listed, and it does take some really descent images.
Also the links you provide do not state what the numbers represent. If its
resolution, then that's not the end all. I would also expect that MF lenses
could suffer a lower resolution yet provide a better image due to the larger
negative. Saying that if the MF negative were reduced to 35mm size there
would actually be better resolution than the 35mm produces.

All I know is that seeing is believing, and my Hassy images are far superior
to my 35 mm images. If the MF cameras have larger CCDs and more megapixels,
which they do, they should still hold a niche in the market.

Scott Chapin

Old November 28th 05, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

They have to come out with a full frame. They continue to upgrade their
pro lens line up: 300f2.8 VR, 200-400 f4 VR, 200 f2 VR. They can't sell
these to pros and serious amatures if they will only record on an
ittybitty teensey weensey polka dot sensor. That won't fly. If they
were to market it for the baby chip why not do it as "equivalent 450
f2.8, 300-400 f4, and 300 f2"? Ain't too many serious photography folks
gonna spend $5200, $5000, and $4000 respectively. For every body they
sell they sell four lenses. They make their big bucks selling lenses.

Old November 28th 05, 02:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Duncan J Murray wrote:

"Alexander Arnakis" wrote in message
news
Full-frame CCD, compatible with all AF and manual lenses, lower
current draw, smaller form factor, price point under $2,000?

When will we see it? This time next year?

Why does everyone think that Nikon will bring out a 'full frame' camera with
the current lens mount?

Duncan.

If they don't they're going to lose market share to Canon.
Old November 28th 05, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Scott Chapin" wrote in message
. ..

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I believe the lion's share of the difference is in the negative size, but I
also agree that some lens maunfacturers have a better sense of asthetics
when they design their lenses than others, and hassy's definitely one of
those. Still, I think saying medium format lenses are optically superior to
35mm is a blanket statement.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com