What will the Nikon D300 be like?

Old November 26th 05, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default What will the Nikon D300 be like?

Full-frame CCD, compatible with all AF and manual lenses, lower
current draw, smaller form factor, price point under $2,000?

When will we see it? This time next year?
Old November 26th 05, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Alexander Arnakis wrote:
Full-frame CCD, compatible with all AF and manual lenses, lower
current draw, smaller form factor, price point under $2,000?

When will we see it? This time next year?

My crystal ball says to come back tomorrow...

Old November 26th 05, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Alexander Arnakis wrote:

Full-frame CCD, compatible with all AF and manual lenses, lower
current draw, smaller form factor, price point under $2,000?

I expect Nikon's long-awaited "auto-compose" feature to finally be
included. It'll automatically frame all your shots so accurately that
use of the viewfinder will rarely even be necessary.

When will we see it? This time next year?

It took 3 years to go from the D100 to the D200...

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing
Old November 26th 05, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Mark Roberts" wrote in message
Alexander Arnakis wrote:

Full-frame CCD, compatible with all AF and manual lenses, lower
current draw, smaller form factor, price point under $2,000?

I expect Nikon's long-awaited "auto-compose" feature to finally be
included. It'll automatically frame all your shots so accurately that
use of the viewfinder will rarely even be necessary.

Yes, but by that time, Canon will have their photo-robot on the market. You
won't need to even get up in the morning....You will just tell it to go over
to the coast and cover the kite festival, and then you can roll over and go
back to sleep........

Old November 26th 05, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Alexander Arnakis wrote:

Full-frame CCD, compatible with all AF and manual lenses, lower
current draw, smaller form factor, price point under $2,000?

I expect Nikon's long-awaited "auto-compose" feature to finally be
included. It'll automatically frame all your shots so accurately that
use of the viewfinder will rarely even be necessary.

Yes, but by that time, Canon will have their photo-robot on the market.
You won't need to even get up in the morning....You will just tell it to
go over to the coast and cover the kite festival, and then you can roll
over and go back to sleep........

Not only that, the new Canon will accept your instruction to make the scene
look like you think it should look.
Jim

Old November 26th 05, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Alexander Arnakis" wrote in message
news
Full-frame CCD, compatible with all AF and manual lenses, lower
current draw, smaller form factor, price point under $2,000?

When will we see it? This time next year?

No, it will be Autumn 2009- Voxels will replace pixels, which in conjunction
with AF-D lenses and 12.7 million hidden focusing points, voxel
interpolation and radar will create 3D rendered scenes from a photograph.
RAW conversion will require similar processing power to a 3DS MAX
workstation and will produce genuine photo renders. Composition will be
something to do later on- simply move your viewpoint to wherever in the
scene you wish. By this point, Canon will have already released three
similar models, sharing seventeen firmware updates and three "bad sample"
recalls of models that did strange things to the backs of peoples' heads.

Oh, but seriously... uh, no full frame. In fact, I suspect a D70s
replacement soon as they have been a real bitch to get hold of in the UK. A
D80- a D200 chip in a D70s-style body with updated battery and larger
screen- wouldn't surprise me. I would like (no, LOVE) to see some more DX
lenses from Nikon. My wishlist would be a bunch of wide-aperture FFL lenses
covering 28/50/85 (35mm equiv), and a compact DX f2.8 mid-tele zoom (say a
new 50-135mm) but i'm not holding my breath.

Martin

Old November 27th 05, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Alexander Arnakis" wrote in message
news
Full-frame CCD, compatible with all AF and manual lenses, lower
current draw, smaller form factor, price point under $2,000?

When will we see it? This time next year?

Why does everyone think that Nikon will bring out a 'full frame' camera with
the current lens mount?

Duncan.

Old November 27th 05, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Duncan J Murray wrote:
"Alexander Arnakis" wrote in message
news
Full-frame CCD, compatible with all AF and manual lenses, lower
current draw, smaller form factor, price point under $2,000?

When will we see it? This time next year?

Why does everyone think that Nikon will bring out a 'full frame'
camera with the current lens mount?

Duncan.

Because Canon is, right now, the only company serving those who want FF.
Kodak had one for a while...as did Contax, but both were either limited in
their application usefulness...or a complete failure (Contax).
Can has sold a huge pile of 1Ds Mark IIs, 1Ds bodies to professional
photographers, yet there is no equivalent from Nikon.

Canon is now selling the lower priced 5D FF as well, which means Canon has
established itself as not only the exclusive source of FF 35mm DSLRs, but
now into their third generation.

Interestingly, Canon was into its third generation of IS lenses by the time
Nikon finally got around to offering their own version of IS ("VR").

Old November 27th 05, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

About six months before the 'pre-production' D400 is going to be
reviewed in a photography magazine.

(...by then, the Nikon photo world will be waiting for the D500.)

Where will it end?
= = =

Old November 27th 05, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

i certainly hope not. as far as i can see ff is a marketing gimmick for
all but dedicated ultra-wide angle enthusiasts. going to ff is a
double-edge sword as what you gain in the wide end you lose in the tele
and as far as joe consumer is concerned that's more often than not a
bum deal.

- price point under 2k? done
- smaller form factor? why?? i think most everyone associates the size
as is with a 'pro' feel that is hardier than toy-like point and shoots.
- lower current draw? not sure on the d200 but on a d100 with a battery
rated at a 100 less mah lasts me about 500 actuations. i wouldn't
exactly call that shabby!

i would bet the d300 will have a higher mp count (ho hum), higher
continuous fps shooting w/ bigger buffer and perhaps integrate wi-fi
and better low light performance. nothing earth shattering.

ras