Olympus C700 - Progress at last!

Old December 30th 04, 07:56 PM
jakdedert

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message
news:EDLAd.618890$%k.17674@pd7tw2no...

Fred wrote:

Thanks for the good words, Jim! It's just a hobby camera and so I'm not

in
a hurry to get if fixed or dish out a couple hundred $$. More fun for

me to
diagnose it and hopefully fix the blasted thing .... and pass along what

find out.

After a few plugging/unplugging, turns out there's no oxide build up on

the
AC receptacle. Dang it, that would've been too much to ask!

Hi again...

Quickly added... for safety sake.

If you DO decide to do the spray cleaner suggestion,
then wear glasses while you do it. You'll
be puffing your shot of cleaner against a very very
small enclosure, and the risk of it blowing back against
your eyes is great.

Particularly holding the camera up so as to spray upward
into the jack.

Be cautious. Your eyes are worth much more than any
camera!

I'd be a good deal more concerned about the camera itself, than my eyes.
Really, we've been spraying contact cleaner and other aerosols for years.
Surely we can do it safely.

OTOH, there are gears and optics inside there. Get some of that stuff on
there, and results are unpredictable at best.

I'd take the damn thing apart...damn the torpedoes. Use a maginfier light,
work slowly, carefully. Take pictures (with another camera of
course...maybe video) of the disassembly. Digicams are difficult, but not
impossible, to successfully R&R.

If I can do my Coolpix--much smaller, I believe than the Oly--he should be
able to dismantle enough to protect the rest of the camera from overspray
when cleaning the power jack.

Still, just cycling the power connector in and out may be all it needs.....

jak
Ken

Old December 31st 04, 09:56 AM
Fred

Another interesting development....

I took a few photos with the help of the AC adapter. Then unplugged the
adapter. Turned on the camera and the zoom starting cycling out 1/2-inch,
then back in 1/2-inch, back and forth.... The power switch had no effect on
it. Had to open the battery door and break the connection to stop the
cycling.

Am I on candid camera??!

Fred

Old January 1st 05, 05:07 AM
Jim Adney

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:10:54 GMT "Fred"
wrote:

After a few plugging/unplugging, turns out there's no oxide build up on the
AC receptacle. Dang it, that would've been too much to ask!

Looking back, I don't think I was clear on my suggested failure mode.
I was thinking that there might be an extra contact in the AC adaptor
jack (an "open circuit jack") that would open and close every time you
inserted the AC adaptor.

It's just possible that they used this contact to provide power in the
absence of the adaptor, but if the contact got resistive, then this
"resistor" would be in series with your batteries, and would make them
look discharged.

Just inserting the AC adaptor plug a few times, or maybe just once,
would have exercised this contact and broken thru the insulating oxide
layer, fixing your problem.

I don't know how realistic it is, but at least it fits your
observations.

If I'm right, you don't have to do anything else for a few more years.
Then, when you have the problem again, just insert the AC adaptor plug
in the camera jack a few times and you should get a fresh start. I
wouldn't do ANYTHING else.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Old January 1st 05, 06:46 AM
Fred

Thanks, Jim. I did try this - several times, and have since plugged the
adapter in and out many times taking photos using it. Still the same
problem with the camera not recognizing good batteries thought. Thanks -
appreciate the advice.

Fred

Old January 2nd 05, 06:09 PM
Jim Adney

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 05:46:30 GMT "Fred"
wrote:

Thanks, Jim. I did try this - several times, and have since plugged the
adapter in and out many times taking photos using it. Still the same
problem with the camera not recognizing good batteries thought. Thanks -
appreciate the advice.

Now I'm confused. Earlier you wrote:

Then I removed the AC adapter and used it with the same batteries only again
and it worked every time, zooms in/out, etc. just fine and no battery bad
message.

I took this to mean that the problem had gone away.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old January 9th 05, 07:24 PM
PJx

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:56:17 GMT, "Fred"
wrote:

Another interesting development....

I took a few photos with the help of the AC adapter. Then unplugged the
adapter. Turned on the camera and the zoom starting cycling out 1/2-inch,
then back in 1/2-inch, back and forth.... The power switch had no effect on
it. Had to open the battery door and break the connection to stop the
cycling.

Am I on candid camera??!

Fred

Sounds like your voltage regulator circuit has a bad component such
as a leaky capacitor or defective zener diode.

PJ