Weird noise from Speedlite 580EX

Old March 3rd 05, 03:54 AM
Mark Sztainbok

Default Weird noise from Speedlite 580EX

I recently bought a Speedlite 580EX and was just playing with it and noticed
that it emits a weird noise which sounds a bit like a beep every 4 seconds.
Is this normal?

I'm using a newly charged set of new 2500mAh NiMH batteries.

Thanks,
Mark

Old March 3rd 05, 04:58 AM
Alan Browne

Mark Sztainbok wrote:

I recently bought a Speedlite 580EX and was just playing with it and noticed
that it emits a weird noise which sounds a bit like a beep every 4 seconds.
Is this normal?

Call homeland security NOW!!

(It's probably just topping off the caps as they oh-so-slightly
discharge until you get around to firing a barage of photons at some
unsuspecting victim).

Old March 3rd 05, 06:02 AM
Lionel

Kibo informs me that "Mark Sztainbok" stated that:

I recently bought a Speedlite 580EX and was just playing with it and noticed
that it emits a weird noise which sounds a bit like a beep every 4 seconds.
Is this normal?

How loud is it? If it's a typical electronic beep, it may be trying to
tell you that you that the head is tilted off one of the stops. If it's
very faint, it's probably the high voltage charging circuit. Try hitting
the test button & see if it makes a difference.

Old March 3rd 05, 07:44 AM
MarkČ

"Mark Sztainbok" wrote in message ...
I recently bought a Speedlite 580EX and was just playing with it and noticed
that it emits a weird noise which sounds a bit like a beep every 4 seconds.
Is this normal?

I'm using a newly charged set of new 2500mAh NiMH batteries.

Thanks,
Mark

As the capacitor slowly loses it's stored charge, it keeps adding a bit of power to keep
it at full power.
This is normal.
Both of my 550EX flash units do this as well.
As others have mentioned...be grateful that you can still hear this.

I can too, and do not look forward to the day when I can't.
-Not that this flash noise is particularly beautiful...but there are other sweet sounds
many folks miss...

Old March 3rd 05, 08:05 AM
Drifter

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:44:02 -0800, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even
number wrote:

"Mark Sztainbok" wrote in message ...
I recently bought a Speedlite 580EX and was just playing with it and noticed
that it emits a weird noise which sounds a bit like a beep every 4 seconds.
Is this normal?

I'm using a newly charged set of new 2500mAh NiMH batteries.

Thanks,
Mark

As the capacitor slowly loses it's stored charge, it keeps adding a bit of power to keep
it at full power.
This is normal.
Both of my 550EX flash units do this as well.
As others have mentioned...be grateful that you can still hear this.

I can too, and do not look forward to the day when I can't.
-Not that this flash noise is particularly beautiful...but there are other sweet sounds
many folks miss...

The 420 does this too, and along the lines of the other part of this
topic... I've always had sensitive hearing so I'd wear those foam
earplugs to concerts, dance clubs, mowing the lawn, etc. My friends
would tease me sometimes but after a while they just ignored it. Now
we're all right around 40 and it's really telling the things I can
still hear that they totally miss. Now if only I had taken that kind
of care of my knees sigh.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
Old March 3rd 05, 08:47 PM
Frank ess

MarkČ wrote:
"Mark Sztainbok" wrote in message
I recently bought a Speedlite 580EX and was just playing with it and
noticed that it emits a weird noise which sounds a bit like a beep
every 4
seconds. Is this normal?

I'm using a newly charged set of new 2500mAh NiMH batteries.

Thanks,
Mark

As the capacitor slowly loses it's stored charge, it keeps adding a
bit of power to keep it at full power.
This is normal.
Both of my 550EX flash units do this as well.
As others have mentioned...be grateful that you can still hear this.

I can too, and do not look forward to the day when I can't.
-Not that this flash noise is particularly beautiful...but there are
other sweet sounds many folks miss...

No, sir. If I can't hear it, it doesn't exist. Of course I may be a tree
falling in the forest.

I spent too many hours with unprotected hearing at the edge of a B-47
runway. Didn't really know the difference until early in the Personal
Computer wave when I had a little program that swept the spectrum from 0
to 20,000 Hz, with a concurrent digital display of the frequency. It
went "Rumble, oooo ooooo oooooo --- ". Cut off at 3800 Hz, like falling
off a cliff. Just nothing there, even with great increases in volume.
New use for the word, "Duh": "Rumble, oooo ooooo oooooo --- ".

Guard your senses.

--
Frank ess

Old March 4th 05, 02:17 AM
MarkČ

"Frank ess" wrote in message
MarkČ wrote:
[...]

Good advice, Frank!
At least those B-47s were a worthy reason for hearing loss...
....It's better than blowing your life's hearing ability listening to the...um...music(???)
young folks are into these days.
-I must be getting old...

Here's a question for ya, Frank...
Did it ever occur to you that your computer SPEAKERS might not have been able to reproduce
those high sounds?
Most computer speakers are garbage... -Just a thought.
(I don't know how high 3800 Hz is, so excuse my ignorance if 3800 is tiddly-winks on the
pitch scale...)