What is the future of 35mm film ?

Old December 28th 04, 05:28 PM
wsrphoto

Quest0029 wrote:
How long will it be available?
Would it be likely that film choices
will be limited in the near future?
AL

Excellent question, despite the responses. Film may be around for
years, likely decades because it offers a number of advantages over
digital, but the variety will be determined by the companies wanting to
market it.

Profitability may not be the issue for providing film to the existing
film-based photographers, and there are still millions. After all,
companies continue to develop new products for existing markets at
losses, even camera companies. Do the top end camera really return
their R&D money or do they do this work as an adjunct to other research
and products? And you can still buy new turntables and vinyl records.

Other considerations are applications where digital has problems, such
as legal work where original film can be used to ensure what was
originally there and not altered. There have been questions about the
archiving of digital media over time, when the technology is changing.
Film still offers advantages for storage and longevity.

The number of companies and variety of films will change, but some
films, especially speciality films will (should) be around for quite
awhile. And who knows, there may even be a revival of film and
film-based cameras someday. Ok, wishful thinking...

--Scott--

Old December 28th 04, 06:30 PM
me

"wsrphoto" wrote in message
oups.com...
Quest0029 wrote:
[...]

I like your post but do you have any idea how many enemies you just made?
Good Luck,
me

Old December 28th 04, 06:39 PM
Phil Stripling

"wsrphoto" writes:

Excellent question, despite the responses.

Hi, Scott. I think it's a stupid question, but let's assume I'm wrong. If
it's an excellent question, then let's assume it deserves an excellent
answer.

So how long will film be around?

Film may be around for
years, likely decades

Well, duh, as we say. It _may_ be around. Or maybe not. The question was
how long. I'd be interested in the answer, if there is one. Is there? How
long will film be around?

SNIP
but the variety will be determined by the companies wanting to
market it.

Okay, so the question was will it be likely that film choices will be
limited in the near future. You've answered the question, "How will variety
of film be determined?"

Profitability may not be the issue for providing film to the existing
film-based photographers, and there are still millions. After all,
SNIP

Still not the answer

Other considerations are applications where digital has problems, such
SNIP

Still not the answer.

The number of companies and variety of films will change, but some

Okay, so the variety of films will change -- we're getting close!

films, especially speciality films will (should) be around for quite
awhile.

Dang! Not the answer. What happened? You were so close to answering the
excellent question!

And who knows, there may even be a revival of film and
film-based cameras someday. Ok, wishful thinking...

Oops ... who knows is my answer. I guess we agree on the answer, we
just disagree on whether the question is excellent, especially since there
seems to be no way to answer it other than, Who knows?

It's a mushy question. I suspect the original poster had a real issue
buried in his mind somewhere, and he didn't ask the question that would
have gotten resonses that adressed whatever he really wanted to have
considered. Let's say I've decided my film P&S has hit its end of life
in my hands, and I'm going to buy a better camera. Should I buy a Nikon N80
or a D70? I'm comfortable with film, but if it's going to disappear off the
face of the earth in the next year or two, I don't want to waste my money
on a camera that will be rendered useless before I get my money's worth out
of it and rendered without resale value in the used market. Then I'd be
better off with the D70. But if film is going to be around for, say, 10
years, I'll be happier with the N80 and not having to lay out a lot of
additional costs right up front for compact flash cards, maybe a faster
computer and bigger fixed disk, software to diddle with the images, a ton
of printer ink every month, and so on. With film and developing, I can
spread those costs over either the life of the camera or the life of film,
whichever first expires.

But the question as phrased leaves it open to wild flights of fancy or the
answers the guy got. C'est la vie.
Old December 28th 04, 06:43 PM
Matt Clara

"Joe Makowiec" wrote in message
. 165...
On 28 Dec 2004 in rec.photo.equipment.35mm, Dps wrote:

if it has the future of sailing boats and archery you don't have to
worry ;-)

Those aren't necessarily good examples. I could make at least basic
equipment for both sailing and archery in my own shop using basic hand
tools. However, given the requirements for film manufacture, it's not
something I will ever be able to do in my garage.

I bet you can, if you can get the cellulose base, you could whip up some
chemicals and apply them. Albeit, if it ever came to that you'd likely be
shooting black and white. It's what photographers did before one could buy
film, and what some large format photographers do today to be artsy fartsy.
They were and are working with glass plates as the base.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old December 28th 04, 06:43 PM
M E

Quest0029 wrote:
How long will it be available?

For a long time. Not everyone on this planet can afford or wants a
digital playtoy.

Would it be likely that film choices
will be limited in the near future?

Yes, there will be rationalization of the film industry. It's happening
now and has been for some time. Kodachrome probably will be the first to
go, followed by specialized emulsions. Tech Pan -- gone soon. Next:
could be Plus-X.

Ilford is on the ropes -- hopefully, it will survive.

Agfa already has spun off/sold its film division.

Fuji -- who knows, who cares? Supposedly they are committed to film, but
like Kodak are heavily invested in digital.

In the meantime, there are new films popping up in Eastern Europe. There
will be demand, and someone will step in to fill that demand.
Old December 28th 04, 06:54 PM
me

"M E" wrote in message
m...
Quest0029 wrote:
How long will it be available?

For a long time. Not everyone on this planet can afford or wants a
digital playtoy.

I admire your verve!

Would it be likely that film choices
will be limited in the near future?

Yes, there will be rationalization of the film industry. It's happening
now and has been for some time. Kodachrome probably will be the first to
go, followed by specialized emulsions. Tech Pan -- gone soon. Next:
could be Plus-X.

Ilford is on the ropes -- hopefully, it will survive.

Agfa already has spun off/sold its film division.

Fuji -- who knows, who cares? Supposedly they are committed to film, but
like Kodak are heavily invested in digital.

In the meantime, there are new films popping up in Eastern Europe.

And here too. New films have been introduced just this year.
Film, I'm sticking with it!
me

Old December 28th 04, 07:15 PM
wsrphoto

Phil Stripling wrote:
"wsrphoto" writes:

Excellent question, despite the responses.

Hi, Scott. I think it's a stupid question, but let's assume I'm

wrong. If
it's an excellent question, then let's assume it deserves an

excellent
answer.

So how long will film be around?

Film may be around for
years, likely decades

Well, duh, as we say. It _may_ be around. Or maybe not. The question

was
how long. I'd be interested in the answer, if there is one. Is there?

How
long will film be around?

The question of film's survival will be a combination of factors and
events. If Agfa spun off its film business, and it's profitable, then
it demonstrates it will last as long as the company can survive or
become a subsidiary of another who won't mind a (slightly) unprofitable
company, if only for the product. This is not uncommon since it helps
the brand name identity and provides some specialty products and
services.

The other part of the equation will be the users. As long as some
customers require film, then film will be made by someone, if only the
smaller companies or subsidiaries. The reality is no one really knows,
obviously the companies don't know if they can't predict the demise of
film-based cameras or the rise of digital cameras. Kodak's a good
example of where they misjudged the market, but they're a good example
of adapting with their new PC-less digital camera printer setup.

I didn't try to guess the intent of the original question, or guess
they wanted a specific date or time. It's an interesting question as
digitial makes more in-roads into film's applications, and as film
adapts to new technologies and applications. It may be film will
survive in specific types and sizes, more for medium and large format
applications, legal applications, scientific applications, etc.

The answer could follow the CD in the audio market. When will digital
or DVD's replace CD's as the standard audio products? Yet vinyl and
tapes are still around in smaller quantities for specialty users and
applications.

--Scott--

Old December 28th 04, 07:20 PM
Developwebsites

How long will it be available?
Would it be likely that film choices
will be limited in the near future?
AL

Film will be around for a while longer.

case for digital:
many copies of same photos.

When relatives came over, I showed them photos on my TV saved to a DVD. This I
feel is the best way to present photos to a large group of people besides using
a projector.

However, the digital ones were taken with a 6.1mp camera. They had to be
cropped, and reduced in size as it made them sharper and they were way too big
to be emailed to anyone with a 56k.
Also, showing them on the PC took too long to load 2mb+ jpgs.

case against digital:
I had previously posted how I hated the time delay in digital P&S.
I always framed by shots using the LCD, pressed button half way, then all the
way. The screen went blank for a seconds, 2 flash bursts later the screen was
back on.
I really DO NOT like the screen going blank at all, the delay between shots was
still noticeable, but shorter than in the 3.2mp HP.

need for a computer+ability&patience to use it+hassle and added cost of
printing+cost of cards+cost of camera(for a price of a digital P&S you could
get a film SLR.)