Power Problem with Olympus C700

Old November 6th 04, 07:36 PM
Fred

Default Power Problem with Olympus C700

I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and FIXED
a similar problem. (Please note -- I have already checked the batteries and
battery contacts. The problem is with the power circuitry.)

I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
more picture, maybe not.

I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact points
are all good & clean. No change in performance.

Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act the
same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the camera,
I know that for sure.

Thanks in advance!

Fred

Old November 7th 04, 12:47 AM
John Ewing

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

To establish whether the batteries are being drained by an internal fault
you need to place the batteries in an external battery holder and connect
them to the camera by a couple of insulated wires with miniature crocdile
clips on each end. Place a meter in seies with one of thes wires to measure
the current drawn from the batteries. I am guessing, but when the camera is
off the current should be zero, and in standby probably no more than say 100
to 200 milliamps (0.1 to 0.2 amp).

Not sure of your skills as a sparkie but this would be my approach.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
John

Old November 7th 04, 01:57 AM
Big Bill

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 19:36:29 GMT, "Fred"
wrote:

[...]

My experience...
I started with a D-600L. It exhibited the same problems you describe
exactly. Olympus fixed it under warranty.I have a C3030Z. It does the
same thing. It's obviously out of warranty, and it's been replaced (by
a Canon A75, as a second camera, and the one my wife uses).
I bought a C4000Z to replace the 3030, and it failed as above under
warranty; Oly fixed it under warranty. It failed again, Oly *said*
they fixed it, but it did the same thing when I got it back. I gave it
away.
I bought a Digital Rebel, and have been very happy with it.

I believe Oly has a problem with their power systems on the PCB. I've
seen others with the same problems, and threads about this problem
come up here, too.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Old November 7th 04, 04:38 AM
Fred

Thanks, the batteries are fine -- they are not being drained.

The camera power circuit is not seeing the batteries.

"John Ewing" none@needed wrote in message
u...

Old November 17th 04, 09:37 AM
Fred

Thanks, John. The batteries are not being drained by the camera -- the
camera is not seeing the batteries. The batteries are fine. The battery
clips are fine. The batteries AND the battery clips are fine. The problem is
downstream of the batteries. It is not the batteries that is the problem
here. Not the batteries. No No No.... Battery problem? No.

(Aside: What is this fixation with "check the batteries"? How many times
do I have to say, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THE BLASTED BATTERIES?)