Penguin Google Gcam port

Old May 11th 21, 06:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
J.B. Wood

Default Penguin Google Gcam port

I don't have a Pixel but I wanted to try out the Google Gcam port.
https://www.xda-developers.com/google-camera-port-hub/

The camera inspector said the phone had only limited Camera 2 API support.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vice.inspector

As a result most of the Gcam ports I tried only did video & panorama.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/p...-port.3863094/

But eventually I found the "Penguin" port which also works with snapshot.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/g...ngcam.4165437/

Both the 4.1 and 5.1 APKs worked with video, panorama, and snapshot.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/att...1-apk.5203857/
Name: PenguinGCam_v4.1.apk
Size: 34220283 bytes (32 MiB)
SHA256: 8647DF117F7E4B19945B601A32077E4CEC9E8B657F4E9A9089 361A1F14266A80

https://forum.xda-developers.com/att...-1-apk.5267035
Name: PenguinGCam_v5.1.apk
Size: 34217705 bytes (32 MiB)
SHA256: 2B63911A6D38CD5A8D08F81D515C2CF6071618549BEFE38BDE AD56CE2A1DB1F6
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:
Old May 11th 21, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
J.B. Wood

On 5/11/2021 8:00 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

I like the native camera app that came with the Pixel 2 -- with one
glaring exception: the mode slider (video/camera/portrait/night...
selector) is a slider across the bottom of the screen right below the
'shutter' button and which is REALLY easy to slide without knowing it

Good news.

The Google Gcam camera mode selection slider is admittedly in the wrong
place but the good news is the Penguin GCam port removed that bottom slider.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/g...ngcam.4165437/

At least on the two Penguin ports that worked for me there is no slider.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/att...1-apk.5267035/
https://forum.xda-developers.com/att...1-apk.5203857/

Instead some camera controls are on the top (timer, grid, balance, flash).
(Why they don't just make the flash control tap-tap-tap I'll never know.)

At top left is a hamburger with what would have been in the bottom slider.
Bad news is not everything in the original Gcam is in that hamburger.

In the top left Penguin GCam port are just the following GCam options
Slow Motion
Panorama
PhotoSphere
LensBlur/Portrait Mode

Plus an additional "PenguinGCam Settings" option containing options for
Last updated 01/04/2021
Camera sounds
HDR +
Add Location
Dirty Lens warning
Dark Mode
Gestures
Back camera photo resolution
Front camera photo resolution
PhotoSphere & Panorama resolution

Advanced Camera sounds(force)
Advanced Video Stabilization(force)
AR Stuff AR Stickers(Android 8+)
AR Stuff Playground(Android 9+)
Compatible Photo Editors Snapseed (tap to install)
Compatible Photo Editors Google Photos Editor (tap to install)
Links (various links to FAQ, help, and XDA-Developer support sites)

More good news for others is both Penguin ports I tried worked on my phone
which isn't even listed in that article (multiple other ports failed).
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:
Old May 12th 21, 07:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
J.B. Wood

On 5/11/2021 5:54 PM, J.B. Wood wrote:
The Google Gcam camera mode selection slider is admittedly in the wrong
place but the good news is the Penguin GCam port removed that bottom slider.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/g...ngcam.4165437/

To better see what the Real Bev was describing about bottom controls of GCam
I managed to install a second concurrent Google GCam port which works much
more along the lines of the original GCam app The Real Bev was lamenting.

Penguin GCam port (main controls are not on the bottom slider)
Name: PenguinGCam_v5.1.apk
Size: 34217705 bytes (32 MiB)
SHA256: 2B63911A6D38CD5A8D08F81D515C2CF6071618549BEFE38BDE AD56CE2A1DB1F6
https://forum.xda-developers.com/att...1-apk.5267035/

Wichaya GCam port (main controls are just like they are with Google GCam)
Name: Camera_Go_1.8.3_Wichaya.apk
Size: 15629747 bytes (14 MiB)
SHA256: 32377240F5F66F6FE927B458E21B40FA44F60CEA7C0634B258 6AECFFE2F22B41
https://devdrive.cloud/3ae36e5c86758....3_Wichaya.apk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14wi...JyDbal5LY/view

The Wichaya GCam APK port works as The Real Bev described as it has along
the bottom "Portrait", "Photo", "Video" and "Translate" with a balance
slider above that set of easily brushed up against bottom controls.

At top left is a settings gear with "Night mode", "Flash", "Face Enhance",
"Timer" & "Storage" options. At top right is a repeat of the "on off
automatic" flash settings (why they don't do a tap-tap-tap is beyond me).

At the top middle is a strange "You can take 12,646 photos" or "You can take
347 minutes" of video storage assessment that advises "We'll tell you when
you're running out of space" which I don't remember seeing in old GCam apps.

Both the Penguin & Wichaya GCam ports work concurrently - which is nice for
those (like The Real Bev) who dislike the bottom slider but who want the
functionality inherent in the official Google Pixel/Nexus GCam application.
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:

Download Google GCam (Google Camera) for most smartphones John Robertson Digital Photography 0 May 5th 21 06:33 AM
Question on shutter duration setting in Google Pixel camera app or its Gcam APK port on Android devices Arlen Holder[_6_] Digital Photography 0 July 30th 20 05:52 PM
Port Cros MJK Photographing Nature 0 March 31st 09 10:34 AM
New Google Owner agrees to use google for spelling purposes [email protected] Digital Photography 0 March 19th 07 05:16 AM
Fat penguin on a bike G.T. Digital SLR Cameras 0 October 30th 06 05:04 AM