Something odd about Fuji's sensors

Old March 2nd 14, 09:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Something odd about Fuji's sensors

On 2014-03-02 08:03:45 +0000, RichA said:

I've played with various sample images from their cameras that use the non-
Bayer sensors and I've never seen one that matches the sharpness of a m4/3
or APS sensor. They have really low noise and good control of moire, lower
noise than some FF sensors, which I thought at first was due to some kind
of blurring function. But even using careful sharpening to the limit befor
e artifacts crept in, I couldn't get their shots as sharp as a conventional
sensor's. It's not all bad. Their control of noise actually preserves so
me resolution better than that of noisier Bayer sensors, but in critical in
stances where ultimate sharpness is needed, they don't hold up.
At least as far as the samples I've seen.

These don't seem too bad for an Fujifilm APS-C X-Trans CMOS;

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...x_pro1_007.JPG

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...x_pro1_030.JPG

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...x_pro1_018.JPG

Savageduck

Old March 3rd 14, 12:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-03-02 08:03:45 +0000, RichA said:

I've played with various sample images from their cameras that use the non-
Bayer sensors and I've never seen one that matches the sharpness of a m4/3
or APS sensor. They have really low noise and good control of moire, lower
noise than some FF sensors, which I thought at first was due to some kind
of blurring function. But even using careful sharpening to the limit befor
e artifacts crept in, I couldn't get their shots as sharp as a conventional
sensor's. It's not all bad. Their control of noise actually preserves so
me resolution better than that of noisier Bayer sensors, but in critical in
stances where ultimate sharpness is needed, they don't hold up.
At least as far as the samples I've seen.

These don't seem too bad for a Fujifilm APS-C X-Trans CMOS;

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...x_pro1_007.JPG

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...x_pro1_030.JPG

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...x_pro1_018.JPG

They

do look pretty good. I'll have to wait for he X-T1 to show up.

I am kind of taken with their X-Pro1.
http://fujifilm-x.com/x-pro1/en/index.html

Savageduck

Old March 3rd 14, 08:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article 2014030216441368365-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

RichA:
do look pretty good. I'll have to wait for he X-T1 to show up.

I am kind of taken with their X-Pro1.
http://fujifilm-x.com/x-pro1/en/index.html

What about the X-E2? If either had been FF, I would have bought it instead
of the RX1.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old March 3rd 14, 08:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-03-03 08:03:11 +0000, Sandman said:

In article 2014030216441368365-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

RichA:
do look pretty good. I'll have to wait for he X-T1 to show up.

I am kind of taken with their X-Pro1.
http://fujifilm-x.com/x-pro1/en/index.html

What about the X-E2?

Same APS-C sensor, but with the X-Pro1 you get the hybrid OVF/EVF.

If either had been FF, I would have bought it instead
of the RX1.

As much as I like the idea of a FF camera, I really don't need one.
There is still a place for APS-C, and I like a lot of what the X-Pro1
promises.

Savageduck

Old March 3rd 14, 10:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

On 2014-03-03 08:03:11 +0000, Sandman said:

RichA:
do look pretty good. I'll have to wait for he X-T1 to
show up.

Savageduck:
I am kind of taken with their X-Pro1.
http://fujifilm-x.com/x-pro1/en/index.html

Sandman:
What about the X-E2?

Same APS-C sensor, but with the X-Pro1 you get the hybrid OVF/EVF.

Yeah, if a OVF is important to you (even if it's "just" a rangefinder) then
the X-Pro1 is the route to go. I can relate to that, of course. I really
dislike EVF's still. Even on the Sony A7.

Sandman:
If either had been FF, I would have bought it instead of the RX1.

As much as I like the idea of a FF camera, I really don't need one.
There is still a place for APS-C, and I like a lot of what the
X-Pro1 promises.

As do I. I was reluctant to invest in a new range of optics. If there was a
Nikon equivalent of the X-Pro1 with F-mount I would have bought it in a
heartbeat.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old March 4th 14, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-03-03 08:03:11 +0000, Sandman said:

RichA:
[...]

Then you should find this interesting reading:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/05...M-OM-FD-K-F-MD

http://www.fujixseries.com/discussio...tal-cameras/p1

....and

http://www.fotodioxpro.com/fotodiox-...s-cameras.html

Savageduck

Old March 4th 14, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article 2014030410133048802-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

Sandman:
As do I. I was reluctant to invest in a new range of optics. If
there was a Nikon equivalent of the X-Pro1 with F-mount I would
have bought it in a heartbeat.

Then you should find this interesting reading:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/05...M-OM-FD-K-F-MD

http://www.fujixseries.com/discussio...tal-cameras/p1

...and
http://www.fotodioxpro.com/fotodiox-...s-cameras.html

Yes, I've seen them. It has a pretty unwieldy way to deal with Nikon
G-lenses that lack an aperture ring.

Also, you lose autofocus, right?

--
Sandman[.net]
Old March 4th 14, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-03-04 19:11:45 +0000, Sandman said:

In article 2014030410133048802-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

Sandman:
As do I. I was reluctant to invest in a new range of optics. If
there was a Nikon equivalent of the X-Pro1 with F-mount I would
have bought it in a heartbeat.

Then you should find this interesting reading:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/05...M-OM-FD-K-F-MD

http://www.fujixseries.com/discussio...tal-cameras/p1

....and

http://www.fotodioxpro.com/fotodiox-...s-cameras.html

Yes,

I've seen them. It has a pretty unwieldy way to deal with Nikon
G-lenses that lack an aperture ring.

Also, you lose autofocus, right?

Yup!
It seems to be more trouble than it is worth unless there is some
specific need to use a particular Nikkor G-Series lens.

So, I intend to buy an X-Pro1 and a few of the Fujifilm X-mount lenses,
starting with the XF 35mm f/1.4.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...talogue_01.pdf

Savageduck

P&S's with 1/1.7 Sensors Dave Cohen Digital Photography 0 May 6th 10 03:57 PM
B&W only sensors, when? RichA[_3_] Digital SLR Cameras 47 December 20th 08 06:56 PM
Bad SSD sensors Big John Digital Photography 13 December 30th 06 03:49 AM
Sensors measekite Digital Photography 49 September 29th 06 09:15 PM
Fuji takes stab at "Foveon" style sensors RichA Digital SLR Cameras 1 May 2nd 06 01:39 PM