Nikon D70, couple of questions

Old August 27th 04, 08:11 PM
Jon

Default Nikon D70, couple of questions

After a week of hunting high and low looking for a retailer with the d70 in
stock (some photographic shops in the UK stated people have been waiting
since april) anyway I got one. I tested it out today just on auto just to
get the feel of the camera, it was a bit late in the day but sunny (low in
the sky) I took around 50 photos.

1. why when the camera was on auto and the flash also yet the flash kept
popping up.

2. when I got home to my shock most of the pictures are dark, some of them
are that dark even when bumping up the levels in PS there is no detail in
the dark bits. I get the feeling looking at the pictures it has something to
do with the metering as the sky in the majority seem properly exposed.

I posted a couple on my site but I had to bump up the levels in PS,
http://www.johnjewitt.dsl.pipex.com if needed I can put the originals up on
the site if someone can help.

If you can help it is much appreciated, thanks.

Old August 27th 04, 08:25 PM
adm

"Jon" wrote in message
After a week of hunting high and low looking for a retailer with the d70

in
stock (some photographic shops in the UK stated people have been waiting
since april) anyway I got one. I tested it out today just on auto just to
get the feel of the camera, it was a bit late in the day but sunny (low in
the sky) I took around 50 photos.

1. why when the camera was on auto and the flash also yet the flash kept
popping up.

Simple answer here is "auto". Use P mode and it won't do that. Or use A, S
or M for more control.

2. when I got home to my shock most of the pictures are dark, some of them
are that dark even when bumping up the levels in PS there is no detail in
the dark bits. I get the feeling looking at the pictures it has something

do with the metering as the sky in the majority seem properly exposed.

You can use centre weighted or spot metering in any of the modes I mentioned
above. The 3D matrix metering does a pretty good job most of the time
though.

Really - with this camera, you should try and get out of "auto" mode and
play around with the others. The beautiful thing is that you can check each
shot as you take it, and then adjust settings and take the same shot again,
and again.....until you like it.

Old August 27th 04, 10:03 PM
Jon

Thanks adm, im that used to compacts. I will most definetly get out the
habit of using auto. Just while messing about in the house with the camera
with flash on different modes but set at there defaults all shots still come
out dark, is there a setting or something that is set by default to
underexpose, thanks again, too dark to play outside now.

Old August 27th 04, 10:15 PM
Jim

"Jon" wrote in message
Thanks adm, im that used to compacts. I will most definetly get out the
habit of using auto. Just while messing about in the house with the camera
with flash on different modes but set at there defaults all shots still

come
out dark, is there a setting or something that is set by default to
underexpose, thanks again, too dark to play outside now.

So far, I have found it necessary to use flash compensation (up to +1 stop)
to get good exposure. That is with the infernal internal flash and an Sb27.

Daylight exposures are excellent.
Jim

Old August 27th 04, 11:28 PM
Apteryx

"Jon" wrote in message
Thanks adm, im that used to compacts. I will most definetly get out

the
habit of using auto. Just while messing about in the house with the

camera
with flash on different modes but set at there defaults all shots

still come
out dark, is there a setting or something that is set by default to
underexpose, thanks again, too dark to play outside now.

I think adm's advice is best in the long run, but if you wanted to use
Auto (or any of the Digital Vari-Programs where the camera might choose
to use flash, namely Potrait, Night Portrait, and Close-Up) while
getting used to the camera, a useful tip is to raise the flash yourself
when you start. That way, while you are still surrendering to the
camera the desision on when to use the flash, at least you don't have
the delay while the flash pops up and charges after you press the
shutter.

--
Apteryx
Treat anger like gold. Spend it wisely or not at all.

Old August 27th 04, 11:49 PM
Martin Francis

"Jon" wrote in message
[...]

We (the staff at Jacobs in Birmingham) did a few test shots on the D70 and
found that, even in good conditions, the meter was consistently
underexposing. I don't know if this is a fault, or fundemental flaw in the
D70 meter, but that wasn't the last time I heard of the problem. Adding half
a stop to a stop of exposure compensation (check out your manual for the
how-to) should help.

no, and yes...."